HybridZ

Engine bay pics! (I need to show off a little)

Drax240z

dont worry drax i'll do it........oooooooohhhhhhhhh

aaaaahhhhhhhh!

but seriously it looks great!

cant wait for mine to get done!

keep it up,i know you have been autocrossing but have you taken it out to the strip yet?

and again....nice job :2thumbs:

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Hey Drax I was going to ask you but forgot. What plug wires are those from. Are they custom cut and crimped yourself? Engine bay looks great. Juan

Well thanks guys.. the only thing I have payed to have done for me on this whole car is the powdercoating, and it wasn't done as well as I would have liked. :roll: I did my own everything else. (IC pipes, intercooler mods, intake, engine, interior, paint, etc)

Plug wires are MSD 8mm universal kit. I cut them to a custom length and decided to go around the front of the engine instead of over the top.

The only drag strips on the island are 1/8 and 1/10 mile. $50 ferry costs each way to get to the mainland to hit a 1/4 mile strip. It's coming eventually, but right now I'd rather spend that $100 on stuff like rubber for me tires. :D

240hoke I must give credit where it is due, I saw your engine bay and said "oh hell yeah!" and it was the inspiration for powdercoating the manifold wrinkle black. Thanks!

The strut tower bar I made out of 316SS (I had it available) it is 2 pieces of 1/2" tubing TIG welded together and bent. End plates are TIG welded 1/8" 316SS.

I used a 1/8" aluminum spacer on the throttle body and spun it 180* off how most people seem to like theirs. Reason being is that I was going to get rid of the stock linkage and go with a cable anyway, and it just fit better this way.

Throttle cable bracket is nothing special... a 4:00am special the night before I was hoping to drive the car. ;)

I went out and took some more pics of the car today too.

Fence.jpg

No%20Tress.jpg

Stop.jpg

Excavator.jpg

Blacky.jpg

Put a camera in my hands an I don't stop taking pictures... too bad I have to give the camera back to the owner tonight!

I might also point out to those of you with MUCH nicer cars than I (Terry, Pete, Dan, Tim, Rick, Tim2, etc. I AM talking about you guys) you should take some photos of your cars and put together a post and let some of us drool over your artwork!

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

I'm curious. Where's the overflow bottle for the coolant? Not using it at the moment? I've been really wanting to work on my engine bay but haven't had time. I really liked my ghetto bungee cords holding my battery for some time. Just been to damn busy playing around.

I wanted to say very nice job making items that are oem parts fit in a " see what you can do with a little time and patience" theme

Juan

Hey drax,

i wanted to give a couple words of warning before you drive it too long. Im running the same manifold as you w/o the heat shield ect, and i didnt have any trouble with it at first. But the heat from the exhaust manifold is starting to bubble the powdercoating on top (i haven't ventured to look at the bottom, :cry: ). I also had trouble with the plastic around my wires melting (the wire wrap stuff) so i used some heat prottective sleeving, the foil wrapped cloth with velcro on one side kinda stuff.

Anyway if you want that powdercoating to remain nice i would get a heat shield put on there. If i keep my stock manifold next time I take it off im definitly going to be doing some shielding and then it will be re-powdercoated, or maybe even ceramic black.

Nice work on the car, looking good!

-Austin

Austin, I am using the stock heat shield under the intake. (hard to see in the pics) I also made up a 304 stainless steel heatshield around the compressor side of the turbo, extending the length of the exhaust manifold.

Hey Grayzee, yeah it's come a long way since then. Considering that 2.5+ years of the time since you last saw me was spent getting my degree, I've been busy!

Juan the overflow bottle (not OEM) is sitting on the frame rail, next to the rad. (right at the end of the overflow hose) I have a MSR spun aluminum fuel bottle to use there. $8, super lightweight, won't melt, and holds 1L.

Thanks all.