HybridZ

I feel ripped off by Borla

auxilary

I bought a Pro XS stainless muffler, center/offset configuration. Very free flowing, non-chambered.

it's supposed to be 3" in / 3" out, but that's just the goddamn endtanks. the actual inside perforated tube is 2.4" in diameter!!!

grrrr . even the box says 14x9.5 oval 3" /3". Nowhere on Borla's page does it mention the tube shrinking, nor does it show it in the diagram!

I've got a high flowing turbo, and a rotary... backpressure = not good. What would you recommend for a streetable muffler that has an inner diameter closer to 3"? My original plan was borla xr-1 in the middle, and this muffler at the back. Also, I'd like to try to keep the costs down more

Moroso spiral flow would be my choice since you got the hi-temp issues of a rotary:

71094050.jpg

Quote from Jegs:

"innovative baffles are specially tuned to reduce the backpressure of high-volume exhaust systems. Spiral baffle design is unaffected by heat, less restrictive, and more efficient than fiberglass/steel wool packed mufflers. Manufactured from high grade steel with continuous welds for leak-free sealing. 4'' diameter, 12'' body, 18'' overall length."

Guest ON3GO

i cant see how that sprial muffler works to reduce backpressure when theres "stuff" blocking the flow...

not that i really no anything about them so i cant talk but i would like to know how it works better. because its pretty cool i think.

so when the gas hits the fins it makes it like a vortex and speeds up the air... right?

mike

Isn't that how it muffles? I mean, if there's no necking-down and rise in pressure, there's no reason for the gasses to pass out of the tube into the main chamber - the gasses will just pass through unobstructed and unmuffled. I think the idea is that the gasses, under high pressure at the neck-down point, pass through the cutouts into the main chamber, take a couple of bounces around trading kinetic energy (sound) for thermal, and then return to the center pipe at the rear. Or have I got that wrong?

Maybe I should be more specific. All the magnaflows I've used have been straight through. I typically stick to the round bodied ones in 14" length or so and they are straight through. Then again none of these have a polished tip or have much bling at all... they just plain work!

The pipe does not muffle by going to a smaller diameter, it's the same theory as insulating water pipes, it absorbs the noise that flows through. What matters is peforation size, length, and packing material. (honestly i can't se SS packing material absorbing much noise.)

Yes the magnaflows are "straight through" but mine has a taper. but no complaints.

-Ed

*Edit* I would think the reason for the taper is to create some backpressure, 1 for low end torque, and 2 with the taper at low rpm, the reduced exhaust speed, caused by the backpressure, i would think gives it more time to absorb sound, but once your revs pop up.... say 3k or more then i think it acts like a sprinkler, you have pressure behind the taper, and it necks down to a smaller size thereforce accelerating through it faster.

which would explain why my muffler doesn't really muffle at high rpms.

The moroso spiral flows have a hollow tube that runs thru the body of the muffler on which the fins are attached - your idea is correct ON3GO about the flow. I have two of these in 2 1/2" that feed into a Y-pipe back to a 3" hooker aerochamber. I am very pleased with the unique sound this package produces, and without the drone Mikelly talks about.

Heavy,

Do you have any sound clips of your system? I tracked down a sound clip of the spiral flows but it is a little louder than I want. I like the overall sound but want less volume.

I'm installing a 95 LT1 and plan on using 2 1/2" with the spiral flows to a Y pipe like your but wasn't where to go with it next.

Wheelman

Mine ultimately feed into this 3" hooker aerochamber. Sorry I don't have any sound clips. The combo resulted in a system with a great tone at idle and IMO never gets too loud. My old Z used to let cops know I was around two blocks away, this is just stealthy enough but still sounds plenty mean. On the freeway you can easily hold a conversation without having to yell, but you will hear it, as well as the wooshing sound of exhaust moving through the spiral flows under your legs. :D

Z%20rear.jpg

Grab a magnaflow 3" and you are set. No necking down, and guarenteed for life. (even their aluminized mufflers have a lifetime guarentee, and have SS interiors)

Drax, do you happen to know which model that magnaflow makes? I need it to be free flowing and SS - rotary heat will burn out most mufflers

I am going to send the muffler back and get a refund,a nd pick up a magnaflow unit

Not so much muffle as change the frequency to a range that is much more pleasing on the ears and lower in the audible range.

Most turbo cars sound pretty darn good with only a straight through magnaflow in my experience. Not too loud at all. I can't imagine why this would be any different on a rotary. (except it might sound like a 2 stroke!)

Have you ever heard an industrial chainsaw with no cover on? Imagine that sound if it was made by 1.3 liter rotary making over 300hp. If you have a wankel with a test pipe for an exhaust making 400hp, and a 1000hp bb chevy with a blower running straight pipes, you won't heart the bbc winding out as much as you're gonna hear that wankel screaming