HybridZ

Out with McLeod throwout for stock setup

Can anyone offer some assistance with this conversion. I have a McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing (3rd one now) and less than 200 miles on all 3 of them in total and they all have leaked. Even their new design. I can remove my transmission in my sleep now thanks to constant replacement of this product. The 1st 2 were professionally installed so I don't believe it is an installation problem. McLead will not even answer my emails any more so I have an expensive throwout bearing gathering garage dust but I understand this is a problem for many many people using this product. What I need to know (I am not a mechanic, just a quick study) is what do I need for parts to convert back to a factory GM clutch release system. My transmission is a WC T5 from a 90's Camaro behind an early 327 with about 350hp gross. I have a Wilwood master already in, just purchased a "stock style" throwout bearing and slave cylinder. That is all I have and I am intending to stay with the T5 which is newly built. What is needed to complete this....clutch fork and ??????????? Since I am doing this myself very specific information would be greatly appreciated. Because I am in Canada and the problem of sending these hydraulics back and forth to McLeod in California my car has been off the road since last Novemeber, I have given up on their product and i just want to get mobile again.

Just pick up a factory bellhousing for an '84-92 Camaro, or Firebird, V-8 5 speed car, with fork, and you should be all set. This bellhousing has a built in mount for the slave cylinder, unlike the 1983 bellhousing. I bought one at a junkyard for $50. Lakewood also offers a scattershield for this application, but its $300+.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

I know this might not be good info for you now that you're ready to chuck you McLeod hyd t/o setup, but a couple years ago two members figured out a way to fix the leak without any recurrence of problems. It requires replacing the swivel banjo fittings with solid copper washers, be advised in doing so you need to install the engine and tranny together as one unit. If you want a pic of this mod, let me know and I'll email it to you. If you're over trying to fix it, I definitely understand.

Good luck!

I spoke to their tech line on three different occasions, never did get much help. I tried to get them to send me an o-ring kit for free, but they wanted about $38 for it IIRC.

The HTOB is really a pretty well engineered piece. The problem with mine was the o-rings were cut during assembly. I cut one myself the first time I reassembled it, then got it right the next time. The o-rings are standard stuff, nothing special.

The McLeod HTOB is also popular with Mopar guys putting Tremec TKO's in old Mopars. On the Moparts board, it was posted sometime late last year that McLeod had changed the style fittings used with this bearing, and that you could get a retrofit. I haven't seen any of the new style fittings though.

John

Thanks for all the advice. The style I have is the latest. It was the replacement for the original style I had purchased. I have already replaced the o rings once in it and Mcleod actually sent me an o ring set also but delivery and brokerage, customs etc is very pricey. Feedback to McLeod you ask, I have had several conversations with Les and supplied measurements etc to him. I think once you are handled a few times and they can't solve the problem you get ingnored, at least that is my perception now. I have tried to get either Les or Red to respond to me....nothing. I have previously used and recommended to many, many people their clutches but I do not any more as this is not only a customer relation but quality problem and if I am treated with this indifference I won't subject others to it. There just seems to be too much print all over the internet on this product when you look for it. I have several different cars and because of that subscribe to several forums and this product does come up often enough that I will not replace it. You are right with the comment that is looks to be a high quality product but if it fails as often as this appears to then what use is it. I don't think hobby guys like us should be the ones figuring out what they are doing wrong and compromising a "highly engineered product" with home repairs that they will not warranty. I just want to get the product installed in my car and have it do what they advertise it will do. Anyway I am on my way to a "stock" setup and of course would have a new McLeod throwout bearing available to post for sale if I wanted to subject someone to the same aggrevation.

I am sure there will be a need for some more advice as I begin to convert this over since I have read there are also adjustment issues with the stock setup. What do some of you fellows have that has worked.

No adjustment nessary in my case. Just plug and play. I'm using the stock T5 fork, stock T5 clutch slave cylinder, tilton 15/16 master cylinder, and a flexible high pressure line that was custom made by a local hose shop. I just followed the JTR V8 conversion manual instructions and it worked. However, when I added a strong pressure plate, I had to reinforce the firewall because it would flex a lot during clutch disengagement! I made a support that braces the firewall to the inner fender.

• 1 month later...

Long time between replies!!!!!!! Has anyone done the hydraulic hose conversion for a stock T5 slave. I have a Wilwood master and the hose is the problem at the slave end. I read the manual (JTR) but don't quite follow the hacksawing of 1/8" off of the casing. Can anyone help here.