HybridZ

A question to all of you who are of military age....

Guest BigWhyteDude

Guest BigWhyteDude

Ok odd question i know but its 4:36 am and i am bord.

This is a question that has been on my mind for a while now. Since i was 18. (Im 19 now will be 20 in Oct.) The reason i ask is with the currently relatively small size of the U.S. military, If the curent or future administrations desided that it was nessisary to reinstate the selective servise program, or a manditory military service program( i really doubt it will happen) how many of you who are of service age would volentarily enlist in the armed forces or if you were selected would go? I have been thinking of enlisting since the war in Afganistan started. I am on the fence right now. I feal it is every able bodied citizens duty to defend his or her country. The only thing really holding me back is my physical condition. I dont know if i could cut it. I usta be in relatively good condition but after football in high school i REALLY slacked off. I am 6"4' about 320, it usta be mostly muscle but not anymore.

To answer my own question if the selective service was reenacted i would enlist the next day. If manditory service was enacted i would go aswell.

I was just wondering how all of you felt about possible military survice.

Andrew

Guest grunt0311

I was in the Navy as a kid (21-23) in a 2 year program they had, physically a joke. Went crazy and had my mid life crisis early at 30 and joined the US MARINE CORPS. It was hard the at first (physically), I smoked, hadn't run in 10 years, but now I love it. I will go ahead and finish with 20. I started as a grunt and now I instruct recruits combat shooting. Looking to pick up Warrant Officer this month hopefully. Go ahead don't worry whichever service you choose they will get you into enough shape. Although my preference is the Green Machine. Hell it makes an ugly guy look handsome in our uniforms... :wink: But seriously the pay isn't bad after a few years, you won't get rich but you won't go hungry and if you just want to roll around in the mud, shoot machine guns and throw grenades heck they pay you to do that. But REMEMBER it is not like it is in the movies! Big...you can't buy some things, but once you earn them they are yours forever. Good luck on whatever you do. Don't worry about the draft it won't happen...

Semper Fi,

john

grunt0311

73 Scarab conversion 327 (ebay) :cry:

70 rhd ugleee

75 2+2 parts

When I was 18 there was no way in hell you could have gotten me to enlist or serve if drafted. Now, I'm 28, I would. My wife said she would leave me but there are lots of jobs that need to be done and if there was an REAL need, I would go.

Good post, grunt, and good for you, as well... = ) Sorry about the Warrant Officer demotion..... lol, I was in the Navy and have personal vendetta against warrant officers, but I suppose they cant all be bad. (I almost died thanks to one, reported to his sick call late on a friday, made him miss his Tee time :evil:

I am almost 20 years past my enlistment date, but still feel that enlisting was a positive thing, and would repeat it. (despite the Navy hospital system trying to kill me, lol) Same deal with the draft, I would enlist, rather than sit and wait for the mandatory call to toe the line. This flawed country of ours has it good points, and I appreciate what I have. Occasionally, it comes time to pay your debt. Of course, not everyone does, which makes it mean more when you are saluted, or shown respect by civs that appreciate what you do. I am one of those silly people that still feel the urge to salute, stand at attention during the anthem, and still get chills during it as well. Shrug.... not everyone feels the same, doesnt embarrass me or make the feeling any less.

Big,

I spent 7 years in the Airforce and thought REAL hard about going back in after 9/11. Enlisting was the best thing I ever did.

I spent a year at USC after HS thinking I wanted to study Electrical Engineering. Found out I was very good at digital logic and writing software but terrible at cricuit design.

Anyway the military gave me direction and discipline, I'd do it again but they wouldn't take me now. Heart issues, diabetes and almost 40 years old means no military service for me. My son is signing up for delayed enlistment this week and is very anxious to go off to basic training but will do another year at the local JC.

The primary reason I got out was my Dad died and I went home to help Mom deal with things. I was planning on getting out at 8 but it happened early. Looking back I should have stayed in for 20. I'd be 1.5 years from retirement and be young enough to start a whole new career.

So I guess my short answer is if they would take me I'd go back in with no hesitation at all.

Wheelman

Guest BigWhyteDude

THanks for the replys guys. Oh and as far as the draft, i know it wont happen, that was ment as a hypathetica situation. :) its just something on my mind.

Andrew

Guest comeandzpa

I would definitely not enlist. As you said, it's every able-bodied citizen's duty to defend his country. The key word there is DEFEND. If someone comes over here and starts something, maybe I'd enlist. But going over into countries when we have no business doing it isn't my bag of tea. That's attacking, not defending. Yeah, it's a kind of defense since we took out Sadaam. Oh yeah, that was months ago. Why are we still there again? Where's Osama? Tell me you need me to protect America, give me a gun, set me on my front porch, and I'll shoot anyone who comes by. But I'm not going to be the porch-raider.

I wouldnt enlist, but if i was drafted i would be proud to serve. All servicmen have my utmost respect and gratitude, but i hate people. I couldnt stand having to rely on someone to watch my back unless i had known him all my life. Im not afraid to die, my faith grants me that freedom. But having to work in a team under fire or something like that would really suck. So unless theres a job in the military where everyone will think your a fu**ing nutcase for going off by yourself then the military aint for me.

I'm 10 years into my Navy enlistment now, and I think it's probably the best choice I've ever made in my life (Other than buying an old silver 240Z on a whim). Military service isn't for everyone, but you'd be surprised how many people can adapt to military life. You don't have to be a robot, just do what you're told. Complain about it later if you feel the need. The military will open your eyes to a lot of stuff. You'll meet, and even be freinds with people you'd never associate with otherwise. The first day of boot camp is a total culture shock :D I don't think I'd ever heard "Ebonics" until that point in my life. You'll learn leadership skills and ways of working with people that no civilian job could teach you. Depending on what you decide to do, you can learn quite a few job skills when you're in as well. Retiring at 38 years of age is a good thing too :D

Some of the downers are: Waiting in line. There are lines for everything you do in the military. Everything.

Working for a$$holes. Sometimes you have to, just like in the civilian world. The only difference is that they can't fire you in the military :D

The food. I don't care what they say, the food always sucks, or at least 90% of the time it does. Don't join up and be a cook, you'll end up kicking yourself later for it.

Working with idiots. Sometimes "special" people fall through the cracks and end up in the military, you have to babysit these people so they don't kill themselves, or someone else. They also, can not be fired :cry:

Paychecks until you reach paygrade E-5. I think the military determines that by E-5, you are pretty much in for the duration, and they increase the pay accordingly. Until that point, the paychecks are kinda pathetic, but they are getting better about that.

If you do decide to join up, let us know so that those of us on here can help you pick out a service and job that will work well for you. Recruiters don't really care what you do once you leave their office, and won't lose any sleep for screwing you over. So talk to us before you go along with anything they tell you. Good luck,

Mike

For the first time in decades, starting about 9 months ago the US government began interviewing citizens to serve on local draft review boards should there be a need for another draft. These are the people that would screen you to see if you are elligible. I know this for a fact because I went to the gov site that gave you all the info on how to apply, I don't know how many spots have been filled. Last month both houses of congress announced their plans to discuss a possible draft for mid-2005. Ideas floating in congress so far are increases to the elligible age of 34, reduced college differment, and drafting women. Any draft-dodgers among you should know a law was passed two years ago requiring Canada to return those who run north.

There are a few recent developments to realize when considering the likelihood of another draft. 9 out of our 10 combat divisions have either already served in Afghanistan or Iraq, are on their way, or are there right now. To help manage our lack of manpower, programs like stop-loss have been innitiated so that active military who are close to discharge are told they must stay in for more time. High levels of national guarsmen over there, too. Some retired military are being reactivated. A few months ago I saw where we even extended the invitation to Canada's Native population to serve in the US military under some ancient law we struck with Canada. If we need troops anywhere else in the world or decide that or current numbers in Iraq of 135,000 look kinda small compared to the 550,000 we had in Vietnam, they can't just come from thin air. I'll give you guys some choices...

If you don't know already, we have close to 20,000 mercenaries in Iraq from various parts of the world, primarily the US and South Africa. They are the number two force over there, bumping britain to third not long ago. If any of you guys are ex-special forces or seals, you can make up to $1,500 a day working as a 'private contractor' for the military. If you don't have this experience expect less, but still in the neighborhood of 4x what you'll make in the military. Better hurry, the money is coming from the Iraqi rebuilding fund and so far about 25% has been used for private security. If you are looking for some cash, this is the way to go.

Then there's the Guard. Flexible and allows for a civillian job. Not bad if you only get called for a short period. Some guardsmen have been in Iraq for a year, since the pay doesn't equal what they many make in their regular jobs those with high stateside expenses have struggled. If you have lotsa bills and/or mouths to feed, something to consider.

Then there are our 4 branches of the military, I would personally go Navy myself, always thought it'd be cool to see the world that way. Nothing against the other branches just be careful if you're on the ground around DU. There's tons of depleted uranium laying around in Iraq from our tank shells and A-10 rounds, 4 times what we used in gulf 1. When a DU round hits a hard surface, about half turns into dust and is carried airborne. The Major we sent to clean up the DU we shot in kuwait has testified before congress that of he now has 1,000 times the normal level of radiation in his body and many from his team have either contracted cancer or have already died. He saw the long-term damage this stuff has done to people who live next to where it was fired in the Balkans, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and that it'll still be harmful long after anyone will remember why a war was fought. His name is Doug Rokke, type his name into google if you'd like to know more. I'm in no way trying to scare you guys, I just think it's important to let you all know one of the little-known hazards of modern warfare.

Good luck whichever way you go!! :D

Guest BigWhyteDude

A buddy of mine enlisted in the Navy just over a year ago. I got a suprise today when i learned that he was back in town for the first time since he left. :-D W are going out to the bars tonight and im going to talk to him about this. Again thanks guys. Well like the fat kid in dodge ball im out :D

Andrew

Blah Blah Blah

Guess I really don't understand the point of that diatribe.

I spent 6 years in the peace time Navy (1976-1982). All we really did was drive around buying stereo equipment. I personally, and not many fellow shipmates, thought about it in terms of defending our nation. We had a job running the reactor plant (made with asbestos and radioactive, lead based paint). Sort of allows you a different perspective than some grunt constantly on field maneuvers.

20 years later I am now old enough to see the big picture. Or at least more of it. I think military service has a much greater sense of purpose today than it did during my term of enlistment, cold war or not. I don't know how much closer to "my front porch" the attacks have to get then the 9/11 attacks. I would imagine there was more than one Frenchman saying the same thing up to the point of the Paris invasion. The crisis seems pretty real to me, especially when I ride Amtrak between DC and NYC.

As for DU rounds and long deployments in war zones, there is an old saying that courage is not the absence of fear but the realization that there is something more important. I personally applaud those who are doing their part and like Wheelman wish I could do more to help.

Guest bluex_v1

http://forums.military.com

They have everything there.

Search the main site too, they have listings of the career specialties that are undermanned, and their deployment rates and base locations, etc.

BTW, a top score on the Army's PT requires (depending on age) 77 pushups in 2 minutes, 82 situps in 2 minutes, and a 2 mile run in 13 minutes. If you are dedicated, try training to those goals.