HybridZ

Koni Shock Valving

This is spinoff from the corner weights topic. The 8611 Koni double adjustable shocks I have on order have a compression adjustment range of 143 to 463 and rebound 243/507.

It would be interesting to know what shock valving figures people are using for going round corners speed work. If its secret men's business then PM me. :twisted:

Dimensions

8610-1149

Stroke: 151mm - 5.94"

Max Length: 550mm - 21.7"

Min Length: 451mm - 15.7"

Tube Length: 330mm - 13"

OD: 43.5mm - 1.71"

There are 3 8611s and the one with the closest stroke to the 8610 is:

8611-1257

Stroke: 143mm - 5.63"

Max Length: 500mm - 19.7"

Min Length: 357mm - 14.0"

Tube Length: 290mm - 11.4"

OD: 45.0mm - 1.77"

The OD of the 8611 makes it an almost impossible fit in the 240Z strut tubes unless you're willing to bore or power hone the ID of the strut tubes by .010 after welding. It will probably fit OK in 280Z strut tubes. 8611s are not supplied with gland packing nuts and they might require a different type then what's used with the 8610. The 8mm reduction in stroke means changes in what is the "normal" strut shortening length and lower spring perch height.

The 8611 compression adjuster is on the bottom of the shock and requires a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the strut for access. That's fine for the rears but you're screwed on the fronts. Even for the rears you'll have to bore the spacer and come up with some kind of adjuster extension to get in there.

The ID of the later 55mm OD front strut tube is around 48mm so no problem there. I think that it will be possible to access the bottom compression adjustor without removing the insert but won't know for sure until they arrive.

Anyway, what are these different Koni settings everyone is using?

This is spinoff from the corner weights topic. The 8611 Koni double adjustable shocks I have on order have a compression adjustment range of 143 to 463 and rebound 243/507.

That would be dependant on the spring rate you are using, as the job of the Koni is to dampen the spring motion. Higher spring rates need higher dampening rates.

Other than that, trial and error.

• 2 weeks later...

The 8610 folks are using is at 187 in compression and a rebound range of 187 to 425. Go to http://www.koni-na.com/pdfcatalogs/KONIMotosportCatalog.pdf and look at pages 9-11. Adjustment of rebound is discussed at http://www.koni-na.com/roadracing.html I am not speaking from experience, just what I have read. I am interested if your 8611's work out how you adjust the fronts. I have yet to call Eric Messley to get "The Word"

Thanks Steve. The inserts are being fitted to the front struts now.

Basically they will each sit on an aluminium block inside and at the bottom of the strut tube. The rear side of the strut housing will be drilled at an angle up from near the bottom, the drilling will continue through the block, which will also be drilled down from the top. The idea is to use a flexible shaft screwdriver which can be inserted into the hole from the bottom to do the bump adjusting. Only the wheel will have to be removed to access this.

The main problem at present is having the aluminium block as short as possible so that the cars front ride height and suspension travel is not compramised by the struts bodies having to be too long to accomodate both an insert and a block.

I'm sure that it will work but I wouldn't be buggerising around with the Konis if I had access to reasonably priced double top adjustable inserts.

I was thinking of something similar. Using the "bumpsteer" aluminum spacers under the strut. Drill under the strut and out the side of the spacer. Then find some 90 degree transition like what is used in 90 degree drills.

The reason I am interested in 8611 strut inserts is I want to run a stiffer spring for autocross than what John Coffey says is in the range of the 8610. I need to call Eric and see if I am headed in the right direction.