HybridZ

T56 to L6

Smokey Z

http://photos.yahoo.com/sss510six

If you click on the button right below the search terms that says find all of the search terms then you won't find 20,000 matches (for future reference). I couldn't find the post that had this link by searching for L28 and T56, but I did find it with L28 and 6 speed FWIW.

You'll see that it takes a bit more than a bell housing...

Well,2nd gear syncro started going out and 4th gear was getting a bit notchy ,so I decided to pull the tranny and found the front input shaft bearing to be very loose.After the rebuilder looked it over and found more damage to 1,2,3,4 gears I decided to upgrade to the tune of $1700.Unless you absolutely need the strength of a T56 I would strongly suggest looking at a KA 5 speed upgrade.Quoting the rebuilder "You have a Viper/Corvett transmission and will pay Viper/Corvett prices any time you go to purchace parts".

Not sure the T56 would be of any use behind an L28 unless you have it significantly boosted. The 6th gear .5:1 OD would have the L28 turning 1,500 RPM at 60 with a 3.70:1 differential and standard diameter tires. Th's no where near it's power range and will have you downshifting every time yo start up any kind of a hill. Change the tires to smaller or the differential numbers up and it helps 6th gear but hurts 1st. First is nearly useless even with the 3.70:1 gears in the rear. A good T5 will provide everything the L28 can handle.

Actually, the T56 that I have works quite well with the turbo 3liter stroker.I use a Toyota CT26 turbo and it provides useable boost at about 3000 rpm and the car pulls hills with no problem in 6th, mabey it is the extra torque from the 3 liter that makes it more tractable.I agree that a NA L28 wouldn`t be happy with a T56.

510six - and you have a motor with excellent low end torque that can handle the overdrive well. That makes my point.

A stock L28 isn't going to have that. My L28 had 163 lb-ft of torque at 3,000 rpm - think what it was at 1,500. My LS1 has 290 lb-ft at 1,500 and even it drones when headed uphill at 60-70.

Not trying to steal the thread here but my question may apply. I've got an 83 280zxt that will be putting 400-450 to the ground and sooner or later, the stock bwt-5 is gonna go. What is my best option for a tranny? The car is almost all drag but still driven occasionally on weekends on the street and as my back up car when the truck has a problem. Obviously money is an issue but I don't want to skimp either if it'll effect the driveability/useability. Isn't there someone running a 2 speed power glide behind an l28? I know I haven't searched on the powerglide part of my question, but would it even be right for my application? So what would be the best choise financially and performance wise?

240zturbo (username) on this site runs a powerglide behind a twinturboL6

For the t5 i would contact gforce transmissions, they do have a website somewhere, and upgrade the internals to the newer 5 speeds that are stronger. I figure this way no adapters or anything would be needed, except for possibly having to use a chevy or ford input spline with a bigger ujoint, now wouldnt that suck? :twisted: