HybridZ

Aggressive aero kit and flares for ZX?

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

Still a small majority of the kits improve aerodynamics (usually the less fancy ones). The ones with bulgy scoops and awkward angles I agree on though.(veilside,blackwidow, to name a few) They probably reduce the aerodynamics of the car, all show.

Here's my question why did many people with muscle cars like to lift the cars 10" high in the air. That would just be asking for drag, The air has more room to bounce air around and cause drag versus being 4-5" off the ground controlling the air more.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why those big cars were always jacked up to the sky. I think it was an 80's masculinity thing. However with the nose pointing down I think it probably did get some downforce on the front end. I disagree with the body kits though. I know some of the body kits just add weight and drag to a car but companies like veilside sell $2,000 body kits that have a lot of R&D behind them. The black widow kits on the other hand are the ones that can be had on ebay for 300 dollars. There is a difference. Unfortunatly for the zx there aren't really any kits other than the msa offering.

Not sure why those big cars were always jacked up to the sky. I think it was an 80's masculinity thing. However with the nose pointing down I think it probably did get some downforce on the front end. I disagree with the body kits though. I know some of the body kits just add weight and drag to a car but companies like veilside sell $2,000 body kits that have a lot of R&D behind them. The black widow kits on the other hand are the ones that can be had on ebay for 300 dollars. There is a difference. Unfortunatly for the zx there aren't really any kits other than the msa offering.

thus giving the rest of us a reason to design new kits.

What happened to dorifto tuning?He hasn't replied to his own post?I'll PM him

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

Sorry about the down-time guys - I've been working on my other project cars non-stop and haven't checked the site in a while. It shouldn't happen again (it sounds like a couple of you guys are angry at me!) Anywho, to answer Sleeper-Z, Dorifto is actually "Drift" in Japanese slang. I just like bull****, so I put that crap definition on my sig. As for the kit you are designing Drftn280ZX, I really like it. It has a certain edge to it - even if it does look a little bit ricey (please take no offense). I considered the Widebody from Arizona Z-Car, but I doubt they make it in a 2+2 model. If they did, I'd just modify the frontend to my liking. Come to think of it, I like the front air damn of the Mariah Motorsports Type-1 kit for 1st Gen Rx7's, and I'll bet it wouldn't take much to fab onto a Z ... Anywho, I appreciate all the help guys!

No problem man, no ones mad at you, we were just getting a little antsy for feedback. A lot of people seem to think my design is ricey. What makes it so ricey and would could I do to it to make it less ricey, you know what would give it some "balls""muscle" without taking away from the low stance, and aerodynamic look?

Also I know the drawing make sthe front look like a rectangle with a slant cut on it with holes in it. In "reality" it would curved like the from of the Mitsubishi EVO or a BMW?

Dumb question but are Japanese drifting cars considered ricey?Cus I love that style (nice bodykits, lowered, big GT wing)

Not sure why those big cars were always jacked up to the sky.

I think the ORIGINS of this look go back to the days of the Gasser. IIRC it was a period in drag racing history, from the late 50's to mid 60's...even though the look was replicated well into the 70's. The cars were 'jacked up' and appeared to be sitting well above thier frame rails (either because of a rules mandate or to gain traction... or both. Not sure). There are probably a host of individuals here who could expand on my short blurb... Here's a few links to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.gassermadness.com

Gasser Wars Book

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

I hardly think the Japanese Drift style is ricey in any way ... I love that look - you know, zip-ties holding on your front bumper (I did it with my Grand Am, actually), tattered bodykits touching more pavement than car, the wing you could shave the roofs of tunnels with ... I love it! I want something like this pic - http://www.geocities.com/dorifto_motorsports/land_cruiser001.jpg . Notice how the front and rear under-diffusers jutt out at the bottom, and how the sideskirts are flat or slightly jutted out - this is what I would love to see on my Z! I'm a big fan of the Japanese VIP-car style, and would like to integrate that with the drift style and apply it to my Z. Now imagine my 2+2 with a kit like that, about 4 inches off the ground, with 14x10 wheels out back and 14x8 up front with the "stretch tire", about 5-degrees negative camber on all four wheels,

add a big wing like Drftn280ZX's design, and the fender flares of the car in this pic - http://www.geocities.com/dorifto_motorsports/DSC00136.jpg -, and that's exactly what I want. As for your kit, Drftn, I was going to comment on the rake of the front airdam, but you said it would be swept back like on an EVO, and that's more what I was aiming for ... it would look positively b****in' ...

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

I'm not sure why those links aren't working ... I'll get to the bottom of it though. I think you can still view them from my webpage. Let me know if you run into any problems as well ...

And why won't my damn signature change!?!?!? Any help with that would be greatly appreciated as well ...

I believe his car got totalled by two hits.. one in a parkinglot, and he got so sick of it he junked it... the only pic i could find was on beaterz before he finished the conversion

BTW today i welded on the first rear fender flare!!! :)

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

Man that sucks - I'd be pretty angry if someone hit my Z ... I probably wouldn't notice right off though, because of all the dents there already!

Question: Is it possible (or fairly simple) to modify an airdam for a '70-'78 280Z for a 280ZX? I was browsing around Motorsport Auto's site and saw the new Type 3 airdam for the early Z. That would look really good on my car, but I'm not sure if it would be easily modified for my ZX ... Any help is appreciated.

I hardly think the Japanese Drift style is ricey in any way ... I love that look - you know' date=' zip-ties holding on your front bumper (I did it with my Grand Am, actually), tattered bodykits touching more pavement than car, the wing you could shave the roofs of tunnels with ... I love it! I want something like this pic - [url']http://www.geocities.com/dorifto_motorsports/land_cruiser001.jpg[/url] . Notice how the front and rear under-diffusers jutt out at the bottom, and how the sideskirts are flat or slightly jutted out - this is what I would love to see on my Z! I'm a big fan of the Japanese VIP-car style, and would like to integrate that with the drift style and apply it to my Z. Now imagine my 2+2 with a kit like that, about 4 inches off the ground, with 14x10 wheels out back and 14x8 up front with the "stretch tire", about 5-degrees negative camber on all four wheels,

add a big wing like Drftn280ZX's design, and the fender flares of the car in this pic - http://www.geocities.com/dorifto_motorsports/DSC00136.jpg -, and that's exactly what I want. As for your kit, Drftn, I was going to comment on the rake of the front airdam, but you said it would be swept back like on an EVO, and that's more what I was aiming for ... it would look positively b****in' ...

Yes .......Dorifto.....Yes.....alas another 2+2 that wants the extreme. I dunno about 14" rims though. I want like 17"x10-12 rear and 17"x8-9" up front with some camber for drifting. Coilovers (the abilities). Yes 4" of clearance I think it would look awesome. I hope I canmake better renderings after taking some drawing classes in college. What you see is some years of high school training. Color is hard to work with. The kit you showed is pretty nice, with the nice curve like the EVO that would be killer. NOt to crazy about the accessorical fender flares though. Go big or go home is how I think about it. Get everything you want or else you'll never be satisfied. Where there's a will there's a way.

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

Drftn, I couldn't do that with Photoshop, and you can manhandle a pencil around to create something like that? I give you MAD PROPS on the drawing, even if you think it looks a bit off ...

I wish I had photoshop and I also wish I new how to use it. Plus a mouse and pencil,marker, whatever writing utensil, are two completely different things. Now a digital pencil, those are cool. Used one back in 6th grade, it was awesome. Now that with photoshop......oh yeah! I'd be playin 24-7 with that setup. Thanks for the drawing comments.

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

Well, I guess you could say I've finally decided on body mods for my '81 2+2. I figure I'll go with the front airdam and sideskirts in the pic below (a couple other pics of this car are on my site). It will be tough to source them from Japan, but I feel its almost worth it. As for the rear, I haven't decided whether I'll leave it stock or if I will remove the bumper, smooth things out a bit, and add a formula-style diffuser. I plan on moving the fuel tank up into the rear compartment, so clearance will not be an issue. I'll post sketches of what I had in mind for the rear. I plan to top the whole shebang off by painting it a darker version of Nissan's Charcoal Gray Metallic - a factory color on the Japanese RPS13 180SX (not sure if it's the same with the USDM 240SX Fastback ...). A few coats of that to get a deep color and tinting the windows should add that 'dark' appearance to the car. I've decided against fender flares - as the pic below shows, the Z doesn't need them. It looks like those wheels are easily 8-10" wide, and I plan on having a set of RS-Watanabe wheels imported here, but if that doesn't happen, I'll grab a set of Konig Rewinds. With either option, they would probably be sized somewhere in the 15"x8" to 15"x10" range, with the 8" up front and the 10" out back. I will try for the fender-mounted mirrors as well. I'm aiming mostly for a clean look, that keeps the stock lines yet has an aggressive edge - hopefully this combination delivers. Details about the engine, suspension, and interior will be addressed on my website and in various topics on this forum.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I figured I'd make my ideas and goals known... :D

zx1.jpg

Well' date=' I guess you could say I've finally decided on body mods for my '81 2+2. I figure I'll go with the front airdam and sideskirts in the pic below (a couple other pics of this car are on my site). It will be tough to source them from Japan, but I feel its almost worth it. As for the rear, I haven't decided whether I'll leave it stock or if I will remove the bumper, smooth things out a bit, and add a formula-style diffuser. I plan on moving the fuel tank up into the rear compartment, so clearance will not be an issue. I'll post sketches of what I had in mind for the rear. I plan to top the whole shebang off by painting it a darker version of Nissan's Charcoal Gray Metallic - a factory color on the Japanese RPS13 180SX (not sure if it's the same with the USDM 240SX Fastback ...). A few coats of that to get a deep color and tinting the windows should add that 'dark' appearance to the car. I've decided against fender flares - as the pic below shows, the Z doesn't need them. It looks like those wheels are easily 8-10" wide, and I plan on having a set of RS-Watanabe wheels imported here, but if that doesn't happen, I'll grab a set of Konig Rewinds. With either option, they would probably be sized somewhere in the 15"x8" to 15"x10" range, with the 8" up front and the 10" out back. I will try for the fender-mounted mirrors as well. I'm aiming mostly for a clean look, that keeps the stock lines yet has an aggressive edge - hopefully this combination delivers. Details about the engine, suspension, and interior will be addressed on my website and in various topics on this forum.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I figured I'd make my ideas and goals known... :D

[img']http://users.usall.com/automotive.us/dorifto/zx1.jpg[/img]

Dude if you can find that airdam!! let me know i'm intrested i love that car!!!!