HybridZ

megasquirt on top of stock ecu?

Guest das280zx

Guest das280zx

Recently I was kind of looking into the specs on haltech's as I wanted to get one when I had that much disposeable income. Well anyhow I found out that they don't have knock control (as far as I know). I want knock control because I might sometimes want to run something other than 92 octane, plus on a turbo car I believe it can be good ensurance, especially when you are fidling with fuel maps boost. Well the zxt already has some form of knock control, I was wondering if the stock ecu would still control the spark if you disconnected everything else and used a fuel only computer such as the megasquirt to control the fuel. Just an idea. I could set that all up pretty cheap if it did work.

A computer may control knock, but first knock has to occur and then the sensor picks it up. That is still better than it just continuing to happen, but the point is that it still occurs with even knock control. I wouln't try to run in a condition that will cause knock and just rely on the ecu to keep your engine together.

BTW, i wasn't putting down your idea of using MS with the stock ECU. I thought about it before my conversion, but it seems that you have to keep many stock sensors and it is hard to now exactly which ones. If you have to keep the AFM that is a big downside, because the MS conversion gets rid of the AFM. I would say go ahead to MSnS that has spark control and use a bosch knock sensor unit with it. I believe a few people are doing this on the MSnS yahoo group, you might check into that. The more you push the limit of boost the less you can count on the knock sensor to save your bacon.

the zxt knock sensor is a joke, ask any of the turbo guys running or ran with factory fuel systems. j and s knockguard is good.

I'm glad to hear that, as my Z31 ECU knock signal would not work with the L28. I just disconnected it to kill the error code, and I hope I don't get knock.

Guest das280zx

Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on really pushing the limits, just thought it would be nice to have, especially if somebody put low grad gas in or something. I am going to look into this megasquirt more, as it looks like a fun thing to tinker with.