HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #35

I am now at the 10,000 mile point on the conversion.

The drive-train is still bullet-proof. No complaints.

Got a call from John at John's cars Sunday with a drive belt routing question. Fortunately I had a photo that I could send him. Good thing I took, and kept, some in-progress photos.

Even the AC is working better. Had to drop the fan speed two clicks on Sunday to keep it from freeezing me out of the car. How many 1st gen Z owners have you heard say that?

The exhaust was recently redone and I am much happier with it now. It is a bit quieter in the car and I've got dual 2 1/2" pipes all the way back to the single Magnaflow muffler now. Still don't have the computer at home fully operational so still no pic's availabe.

Car is still running great and drawing a fair amount of attention although folks on I-20 are getting very used to seeing it. My '83Zx has been transferred to my younger son - had to give him a car to make a Zcar dirver our of him - so the 280Z28 has definitely become my daily driver.

Up coming work includes:

brake upgrade - in the works

New interior - getting quotes on some custom work

New Sound system - getting quotes

Wife made a comment on the car that summarizes the current situation - "I wish the car was quieter. It sure is pretty but it beats you down on long trips."

The car isn't actually that noisy because a normal conversation can be held in it but the various road noises with the underlying exhaust drone all combined with the tight cabin and tight suspension all combine to make the suburban a much more pleasant cruiser.

That being said -we're driving it down to Fredericksburg (300 miles each way) the 23rd for a swap meet and car show.

..' date='

Even the AC is working better. Had to drop the fan speed two clicks on Sunday to keep it from freeezing me out of the car. [u']How many 1st gen Z owners have you heard say that?[/u]..,

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah....you make me sick!

Just kidding. My factory A/C blower speed is so weak it makes me sick (better weak A/C blower speed than no A/C at all). BTW: what did you do to your A/C blower to make it so strong that you can get away with turning the fan speed down?

I'm really gonna have to get me one of those LS1 thingy-ma-jiggies!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Hey Phantom, If you had to do the suspension over again would you go with rubber bushings instead of the poly? I need to make a decision for my LT1 240z project. I want my wife to be able to drive it to work every now and then and want to be able to take it out of town comfortably. I also plan to spend serious time figuring out the best exhaust setup. Did you install a crossover pipe?

Kevin - would you believe that it's the original, 27 year old blower? It is not particularly strong but with a new compressor and new expansion valve the AC gets pretty cold and will eventually pull the car temperature down to downright chilly.

240Z28 - I'd still stick with the Euethane bushings. They really don't affect the "softness" of the suspension, more the responsiveness. The Struts and springs have more to do with the ride stiffness. I'm running some KYB gas struts and the Nissan Euro springs which are 15-17% stiffer than stock. Yes - I'd stil go that way.

Pop - Sound is GREAT! - until about two hours into it - then it starts to get tiring.

Pop - Sound is GREAT! - until about two hours into it - then it starts to get tiring.

Well, a 2 hour window is about right, isn't it? Of course, a small set of earplugs might be just the ticket for long hauls, anyway. I'm used to running the 'Cuda at 7000 rpm with straight 3" exhaust that dumps out infront of the rear tires. I don't think I'd even hear your exhaust. :shock:

It's amazing how much of the "drone" it'll cut out, but how you can still talk pretty easily. I've done that in loud street cars on road trips and it works pretty well. Just find a set that aren't bright orange, just the little ones you twist and stick in your ears. Try it and then decide. Just like a Datsun. :lol:

I do the earplugs in my truck. It's got a real quiet exhaust, but with the windows down the sound of the air is really loud and on long trips is annoying. The earplugs work great. They cut out the wind racket but I can still hear the stereo.

Dale

I do the earplugs in my truck. It's got a real quiet exhaust, but with the windows down the sound of the air is really loud and on long trips is annoying. The earplugs work great. They cut out the wind racket but I can still hear the stereo.

Smart move, anyway. A friend of mine was a delivery driver for Montgomery Wards for a decade plus and is nearly deaf in his left ear from driving around with the window down. He's got a bionic ear now, but I'd rather not. Of course, that's why it's important to have A/C in the Z!! :-D

i was able to run a set of cherry bombs on mine in the transmission tunnel im running a dual 2 1/4 all the way back. when i get on it it absolutely screams but cruising at 1500 its very docile and sounds great just a low burble, i dont much like quiet cars they are soo boring. youd never catch anyone dozing off in my Z heheh i was also wondering, if you put a dual 2 1/2 inch exhaust on a an older 350 and one on an ls1.... how different do they sound?

Interesting topic. My dad was a cop for 29 years and has permanent hearing loss in his left ear from driving around with the window down all the time in the cruiser. :shock: This occurred over a 10 year span or so. Just some proof that even small noise levels over time can have a very negative effect.

Interesting topic. My dad was a cop for 29 years and has permanent hearing loss in his left ear from driving around with the window down all the time in the cruiser. :shock: This occurred over a 10 year span or so. Just some proof that even small noise levels over time can have a very negative effect.

wooooow i always drive with both windows down does that mean im going to equal out my hearing loss?

Wonder what kids with there huge thumpin woofers in there cars are going to do in 10 years, I cant see how these low freq's can be good for your hearing let alone your internal organs.

Proven side effects include kidney damage, sterility, and blindness. I don't wish any real harm to those guys with the big stereos, but some of them SHOULDN'T be able to reproduce, anyway! :lol: