HybridZ

suspension setups

What exactly would be the best suspension setup we can get for the Z's? I have a 75 280Z and am wanting to make it handle as well as I can for things like auto crossing and such. The only coil over setups I've found so far are the "sleeve" setups and I'm pretty sure I've heard before that they aren't really the best compared to the real deal. Are they the best that is available for the Z like compared to regular suspension components i.e. just off the top of my head tokico illuminas and eibach pro kit springs or maybe the msa springs if they're any good.

Any help would be excelent as I not only want this thing to go fast in the straights, I want it to be able to take some mean turns as well.

Well, there is something to be said for matched springs and shocks (ie. Tokico Illuminas & springs). An adjustable shocks will make it easier to dial things in with stiffer springs such as coilovers. Springs are springs, so what you are talking about doesn't stand to reason. The problem is that your suspension works in combination of shocks, springs, bushings, sway bars, unsprung weight at the wheels, etc. and most people think that it's just a matter of one thing here or there that makes it work well or not. This is an area where you'll get many different opinions, as there is always a trade-off of ride quality for performance, at least with our 30+ year old suspension. I'd recommend a Tockico Illumina setup with springs, some good swaybars and poly bushings. This will get you far enough along to play the game. Your driving style, car setup,etc will dictate where you go from there. Keep it simple and use stuff that works. Experimentation is expensive, believe me! Hope that helps.

Right now, I'm planning on doing that full urethane bushing kit, probably a staggered tire setup depending on the outcome of the handling (oversteer understeer and what not due to that setup), and the nicest set of springs and struts i can get. I personally could care less of ride quality. If I have to sacrifice ride quality for performance, so be it.

I guess basically I'm trying to find out of some setups that have already been proven to handle real well. I search around and see what I can find... for some reason though I hardly have much luck with those searches :lol:

• 2 years later...