HybridZ

is this worth it?

first a little background....

i was givin a 74 260z in great condition for free. the car has almost no rust. came with no engine or tranny. the person who gave the car to me had a 396 in the car. so it has v8 motor and tranny mounts.

well anyways i have a chance to buy a 327 and 400r tranny tonight for 500.00. i see that evferyone goes 350 or bigger here. well i wanted to see is it worth it to spend 500 on a on a complete 327 and tranny. or just use that money to build a 350.

also who far can you get on a 327.im just looking for about 350 rwhp. and and from the comment on another tread it shouldn't be that hard.

please give feedback. before i dont something i shouldn't

thanks

327 longblock

all valve train parts and bolts

chrome valve covers

stock 4bbl intake

holley carb (needs a accel pump to work)

all acessories and brackets

rams horn exhaust manifolds and y pipe

new electronic dizzy

plugs (have misc wires but would recomend buying a new set)

TH-350 trans

kickdown cable

torque converter

tail shaft

trans lines to radiator

I am selling a 1968 327 with new rebuilt heads (never ran). I bought the motor in the truck and never ran it. Previous owner said it was completly rebuilt long block but that he rebuilt the shortblock and had the heads done somewhere else. When I pulled the heads to take a look the pistons had no build up so I can assume that they are new. Other than that, I don't know anything about this motor. All cyclinder walls looked fine with no pitting or scaring of anykind, although I did not see much of a cross hatch.

The truck was a daily driver before the previous owner began the motor rebuild process so the tranny should drive however I cannot guarentee anything. These are cheap and easily rebuilt and I can recommend a professional that is a friend of mine to do the work on the side of a tranny shop he works for. Will also include a hurst cable operated shifter for another $35.

Price is pretty firm at $500. This is a steal. But bring cash/trades and lets deal.

Guest butlersZ

I have a 327 thats being offered to me for 1500, it came froma '64 vette, which came out with 365 HP. It has the infamous "30-30" cam. With some modern performance parts 400HP doesn't seem to difficult to obtain. And 350HP shouldn't be a problem at all. What year and what did the 327 that you are being offered come out of? In my opinion a 327 beats a 350 hands down. I would say for that price, go for it.

I too am not sure about the mounting, I know the 327 does not bolt up like a 396. 396 mounts are the same as a 454 and a 427 BB.

[/img]

Guest 305240

Keep the 327. Where I come from, people would trade their 350's for a 327 anyday. I know I would. You can hardly find them anymore.

Datsun327, can you contact the previous owner of your car to ascertain whether the 396 was a small block or a big block? Depending on overbore, a 396 small block is possible, but it would be very unusual. On the other hand, a big block in a Datsun would be even more unusual.

BTW the mounting pattern and distance from bellhousing flange to motor mount for the BBC and SBC is identical. The only issue is width (distance between the two mounts) – not sure about that. In any case, where a BBC used to sit, a SBC can easily be adapted to sit, if necessary with spacers. Can you measure the distance between mounting pads in your car? I’ll compare it with mine (set up for big block).

Guest plainswolf

If the 327 is in good condition, heck I'd keep it... I wouldn't say it's any better than a 350, the only difference being a shorter stroke engine with less displacement than a 350, but at the same time it certainly wouldnt be any worse really...

A 327 and a 350 are basically the same engine besides the difference in stroke, and the earlier smaller journal size of the 327. But they are a perfectly good small block and quite willing to rev like hell! :D

There are TONS of 327's around here... and also remember that back in the 60's they used a "gross" horsepower rating as opposed to "Net" horsepower rating of at least these last 2 decades... But they are not hard to get damm good power out of either!

If ya got...might as well keep it..