HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #36 - Power Steering?

I talked with John Radevich at JCI today and he is (by popular request) working on a power steering kit for the LS1 conversion for the S30 Z cars.

He's well along on the engine side but, when he mentioned to me today that he needed the S30 power steering rack, I knew the project had just gotten more complicated.

I know several folks have done power steering conversions on their S30's. What rack is basically a drop-in for the existing manual rack? I've heard of Ford units and Subaru units but I am not sure of all the details entailed. If he can work this out mine may end up as the test bed once more for a new product. :bonk:

Thanks Mike. I actually did a search and that is one of the threads that came up. Also located one other Subaru thread that was informative and a couple Ford conversion threads that even had some good photos and details. Just thought I'd throw it out in case someone has a successfully completed conversion that is relatively simple and tested. Then it would just be a matter of tying an LS1 PS pump system in and we'd be in business.

I forwarded the links I found to John. He is going to continue the project and, assuming the price is right, I'll probably have him do mine. Customer service for Hybridz so they can have real time feedback :lol:

Hi Phantom, I did a mazda miata power steering conversion. The little that I did get to drive my car, that's another story, The steering feels great. It's not too light on the freeway. and great low effort around town. You can view my pictures on my yahoo account. Just click on the 'WWW on the bottom of this post. I haven't figured out how to hyperlink the address without typing the whole address? :oops: Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...