HybridZ

Uh Oh, the Evil tinkerer has a new idea....

alsil

Hey guys!

As some of you know, (well, Alex) I am going to get a '95 or '96 300zx NA to replace my Tacoma that my son is getting for getting his license.

Now being the evil tinkerer I am, the first thing I think is, "what can I do to this car?". I am a BIG fan of the stock 300zx, but 222hp will only be good for SO long.

Not sure if anyone's done this yet. But figured I'm not the only one who thought of it:

Does the VQ35 motor from the 350Z fit in a 300zx?

It's 271hp and I have seen it go to 300+ with some easy mods. Now, is this a new motor, or an updated version of the 3.0 on the 300zx? If it's an upgrade, I wonder how much of the eng/trans just plain bolts in?

Now that I have divulged my plan (or just my idea), what do ya think?

Al :twisted:

My wallet is screaming at me, no, no more, for the love of god NO!, but my brain says YES!

WEll, not really into turbos, never really have been. Drove a couple, I'm SO much more about torque. That's the whole reason for the 302 in a Z thing - light car, low end torque. I know the TT has some bottom end torque, but it's still not the same as a NA larger displacement motor. Kinda like comapring say a DOHC Cobra and a Saleen 351 with the same power, it just doesn't FEEL the same.

So, anyway, does anyone know if the new motor is a new generation of the Z32 motor or a new motor?

Guest ON3GO

nobody has done it yet.

i do have a junked up Z32 n/a i plan to do this with but ive been thinking about the fronter motor the VG33ER, but with VG30DETT heads and some internal work and then spray the hell out of it...

VQ35DE is next on the lis though.

will need custom mounts and etc.. would be the 1st to do it also, atleast from what ive read and heard.

Mike

You must be missing something here. Dont do any engine swapping, just buy a TT 300zx and you will have tons of torque for the least $$$, very nice cars. Now if you want to go reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally fast do a engine swap into a light car.