HybridZ

New project website

Guest VETTETEK

Guest jdllaugh

Okay, I know anything is possible with a welder and a little creativity, but you guys are way over the top! :D

Here I am sweating over cutting the floors out to repair the rust! Guess that's not a concern on your project. bonk.gif

Nice.... 2thumbs.gif

Wow!

hail.gif2thumbs.gifhail.gif2thumbs.gif

I was thinking about doing the same thing! However, I don't have the guts either. I am putting and LS1 into a Velo Rossa from John Washington. I wanted to know if the Corvette stuff would fit. It looks like it might, but I think the widebody kit is much wider in the front than the Velo Rossa.

Maybe I should just drop in the Vette rear end? smile.gif

Good luck guys!

Guest VETTETEK

Thanks mudge..I thought I did something wrong...Im glad it works.

:D

I got the MIG welder tonight...gonna start securing the body to the frame and sitting the engine in it this weekend.

After that...its off to get a cage and the floor rebuilt.

One things for sure ...it will be a VERY busy winter!

Guest VETTETEK

Mudge,

The stock unit is unibody. Thats why in the pics on my site you will see temporary cross braces welded in so the body wouldnt "fold out" when we were positioning it. But that was the main reason we had a full frame made...we wanted to eliminate flex. Also of course we wanted the c4 corvette suspension. That way we wouldnt have to worry about breaking the inadequite stock rear end

ill post more as it progresses

Guest VETTETEK

Off hand, I hadnt weighed it. BUT I was able to dead lift it by myself (took awile to get the right balance). Id say about 200 or so stripped.

id say the complete unit with all suspension and wheels and tires is about 600 or so(3 of us picked it up) and the body felt like 300 or so.

Id say theres about 850lbs sitting in the pics.

Im hoping the car will be around 2000 lbs fully loaded...but well see!

Of course this is all speculation until i get it on the scale at the track!

OHG, this is kinda scary! eek2.gif

First of all my project is a '72 240Z

I'm using a 383 motor w/T56 transmission (carburated though)

I have an '84 Corvette IRS for it already

I have the same VR engineering 280YZ body kit (widebody)

Have a roll cage for it

AND had been seriously considering putting a 'Vette front suspension in BUT was thinking of using a complete OEM 'Vette crossmember because it has the steering rack and everything already attached. I thought that would be easier than making new suspension mounts from scratch.

VETTETEK,

Had you considered using an OEM vette crossmember? If so, what changed your mind and prompted you to make your own suspension mounts?

I am VERY interested in your project.

Oh, and have you figured out a good way to mount the front fenders? There is not one single factory fastener that lines up with these fenders. I think I'm going to have to weld all my own mounts :rolleyes:

Guest VETTETEK

I had concidered using the stock front and rear unibody clips at first and grafting them in, but I want to be able to road race this at the local track sometimes.grafting anything unibody is ok, but I want something VERY durable. Also, the front is narrowed from a stock vette. otherwise it wouldnt fit in the fenders. Were still gonna have to "massage" the fiberlass for fitment yet too.

The frame took 10 weeks from call to completion. It only took 1 day to build though. the frame itself was like 2400, the custom rack with ends and all was like 750, and the billit coil overs and springs were like 1000, and shipping was 850.

all and all it was a good 5 grand. but its a beautiful job! well worth it.

It took 3 weeks of phone calls, faxes, and emails back and forth with the original blueprints making changes along the way.

I think it was like 8 or so weeks when they finally built it.

We had shortened the wheelbase slightly from stock...its only 91.5 now. The VR body kit is getting modified. we DONT like how the front air dam protrudes out so far, so were gonna change it. but thats later!

Hopefully by the time spring rolls around, we will have a very complete rolling chassis with cage and all. Im shooting for the end of summer to have it roll under its own power, but well see. We have lots to do.

If anyone ever wants to ask me questions, or talk about the project, my email is VetteTek@charter.net

Feel free to drop me a line!

Jeff :D

Also, the front is narrowed from a stock vette. otherwise it wouldnt fit in the fenders
That is exactly what I was wanting to find out.

BTW, how much did you narrow it?

- Rick