HybridZ

is this engine combo a good deal?

Guest 2002sentraSER

Guest 2002sentraSER

it is a 400 sbc with a auto trans that has a holloy 750 double pumper on it and a victor jr manifold that is producing around 600 crank horsepower on pump gas at 10 to 1 comp for $1500 a good deal and the guy is going to help me put it in the car

Guest polarity

I got an offer today to buy a fully rebuilt 350 with forged pistons, new heads, th350 tranny, bored .060. for $850 0 miles since rebuild said he will put it in his car and let me hear it run if i like. out of an 84 impala..

what do you guys think.. the guy says he is expecting 500 ponies out of it.. does that sound real (the guy is friend of a friend and is supposedly a really good/trustworthy guy)

Billy

Guest polarity

haha no joke here. the guy still has the car he pulled the motor from. said he was going to install it back but decided he wanted to aim for something else (i think he's after an lt1 or something)

would you go for this deal ( i have a block for a 350 sitting in a garage waiting on me to purchase parts..

Billy

Guest Anonymous

Sentra... sounds like a winning combination if the guy helps to install (400 SBC is flamedevil.gif ..) Billy... have him help install it in the Z to see if you like it... :eek:

Are you guys pulling our legs?

I am looking on ebay and seeing heads that cost more than $850 and T56 trannys for $1500, and none of those are installed prices.

If the engine is rebuilt, ask to see the receipts. At 500 HP there should be a huge number of name brand parts. Then talk to the machine shop. See what type of guarantee will transfer from the machinist.

If there are no reciepts, then check with your local law enforcement agency to see if they know where the 500 HP, freshly rebuilt 350 came from.

Guest triple_threat311

I would be wary of someone claiming to sell a 500hp motor for 850. He is either losing a lot of money, or selling you a piece. In the end you always get what you pay for. Just an opinion though.

Guest Z-rific

Both of these sound a little too good to be true. Not saying good deals don't happen, but 500+ HP costs a lot of money from a 350 or 600HP from a 400.

Why would the guy with a 550HP 350 want to swap it out for an LT1 anyway? Is the motor too much for him? And I sure would be careful with an engine bored 60 over. Doesn't leave much room in the future for machining.

But then again, I've been a little pessimistic lately. I just don't trust people claiming those king of numbers without knowing their value. A 600HP 400 is worth at least 3 or 4 grand by itself.

And IF you drop a 550-600HP motor in your Z, you better start thinking about reinforcing the chassis, building up the rear end, probably converting to CV joints, finding some fat tires, etc etc.

But if everything is as advertised, HELL YEAH that's a great deal. rockon.gifeek2.gifrockon.gif:eek:

Guest Night_rider_383

Good deals are out there but to me that one just sounds wayyy to good to be true. Look it over if you dont see race parts on the out side then they sure wont be on the inside nore will it make the hp he says.

You should see very good aftermarket alum heads. Maybe a tall single plane intake, SFI damper, pull the valve covers and look for full roller rockers, bigger than stock springs, etc. Look at all paper work. Anybody that builds or buys a 500 + hp engine will and always keep the paper work. It would take a big shoe box full of receipts for all the machine work and parts. Also look at the cam card (again he should have it in a box with the rest of the paper work) to pull them numbers it would have to be a pretty big cam, with alot of lift.

In parts and machine work along your looking at an easy 4 grand or more worth to get them kinda numbers and have an engine that will live a long happy life. The machine bill would run almost what he's asking for the whole thing

Check it over VERY good before you jump on the deal, I smell something fishy with that one

Guest Anonymous

ditto.. yeah at least some anodized aluminum roller tip rocker arms with stud girdles and a few racing decals from Summit on the valve cover.Since I am afflicted with number dsylexia when I hear some one say the engine has 500 HP, I automatically assume 300 HP or less.

the guys are correct check for a parts list and GET EVERYTHING LISTED IN WRITING, IT WILL cost about $7000 or more to build a 600hp 400 sbc and about $5000 for a 500hp 350 minimum (complete engine carb to pan/non-nitrous) so its likely that the (B.S.) is deep ! yes once in awhile good deals are out there but Id bet the B.S. is more plentiful than the dyno proven hp

Guest greimann

Another thing to consider is daily drivability if that is your project goal. It is easy to get swooned by having viper like horsepower, but in a 350 Chevy motor, the low speed drivability (under 3000 rpm)of a 500+ h.p. motor is going to be terrible. It will suck gas like a shopvac and be a total dog of the line unless you drag start from every stop light.

If this is your first project, keep the h.p. to about 350 to 400 and you will be a lot happier with the car and will love to drive it. My $.02.

Originally posted by Greimann:

[QB]...If this is your first project, keep the h.p. to about 350 to 400 and you will be a lot happier with the car and will love to drive it. [QB]

...Or build a bigger engine (400, 415, 427, 434 SBC, for example) with the same "level of streetabilty" as that 400 hp 350 and have 460, 475, 488, or 496 hp, for those displacements. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it :D . (The 400 that is)

Guest 2002sentraSER

this is long but i got everything out

i am building this car for drag only and in va it can be a 77 or older and not have to pass any dmv tests so i can do all i want to it and it will still be street legal. I got the info on the engine and trans: it have 100 miles since rebuild, it is a th400 trans, a 202 double hump head and a can that has a 525 lift and a 280 duration and the th400 is totally built for drag and the reason he is selling the engine is because he is pulling the engine from his Nova and selling it then putting a big block in the engine bay and no money is going to go from my pocket until the engine is in my datsun and it is running so what do you think of the deal now and also he is going to bring his truck and dolly and tow the car to his house so that we can work on it in his garage so opinions please

500HP from a 350 with double hump heads seams a bit high. From what I`ve heard , it would be quite a stretch to get ANY stock cast iron heads to flow enough cfm to achive 500hp.(double hump or not) I`ve got dartII sportsman heads on a 383 w/ .525 lift cam that only runs about 450hp.

For the price though, even if the #`s are exagerated,it still sounds like a reasonable deal. Especially with the installation help.

MY .02 ;)

Guest Anonymous

the installation is worth $1500.00 and a lot of folks have paid more and supplied the engine. If it is a good engine.. well worth it.. ya cannot get anything past these renegades on HP claims. I was always under the assumption that hot rodders always exagerated HP.

With a roller cam on the edge of what many call streetabilty, and very good heads, that is possible, I'd believe. Check out combo 101:

http://ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos14.html

The other way of looking at it is 500hp from 400 cubes is 1.2 hp per cubic inch, which is thought of as the top end of the streetable range by some.