HybridZ

And now I am at a crossroads..

datsunlover

Well, I got my car 'done' and driving for this summer... and I was thinkng about this coming winter, and what I would do to the Z now. So I came up with this;

Haul the tired oil burning 2.8 out and rebuild it, pop in a nice cam, get some bored out/refurbished SUs from ZTherapy, find a 5 speed (I miss a 5th gear!) redo ALL the suspension, including bushings, ball joints, ect.. pull the rear end and try to find an LSD, upgrade the front brakes and M/C and put a proper exhast on it. WHEW!

HOWEVER; yesterday, I hear that a car is for sale that I looked at. (I thought it was sold weeks ago, when I didnt have the money for it. :evil: ) I heard it run, looked it over but had to pass. Turns out, the guy still has it and I can probly get it for a song. Here's the kicker; its an 82-83 (not sure) 280zx TURBO! And, its standard!. :shock: well well well... aside from the new suspension I need, there are ALL the upgrades I need and then some! Mmmmm.. turbooooo...... sooo fast.. heh heh.. I'd get the better brakes and M/C, 5 speed, LSD, and can probly pick this car up for less than what a CAM is gona cost me for my N/A motor! So uh.. I might need some help in the next little while, as I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to turbo Z's!

Yah, thats what I'm thnking.. Take out all the bad/old/crap from my 280, and replace it with better/faster/stronger stuff from the ZX. It looked like the front brakes were brand new too, so I'll probly get those on to replace my (ugh..) SOLID disks.. Oh yes..I forgot to mention that this 280zx is ROTTEN to the core.. shame really.. bad for it.. good for me! I'm trying to get a hold of the owner tonite, and just keeping my fingers crossed.. I really hope he's still got it! I have been toying with the idea for some time now.. I want a turbo to play with.. hee hee.. boost is fun.. My only turbo car (in a LONG list of cars I've owned) was an 85 Audi 5000CD and WOW MOFO!! that tank of a 4 door would GO! I'll have to do some more strengtining to my 280 to handel the turbo.. but it'll be worth it!

The ZX front disks won't work on your Z. Blueovalz worked out a way to use a 300ZX rotor with the ZX caliper, so that is an option, but they won't just bolt up. Neither will the rears, I think. You'd need a Maxima caliper bracket to bolt them up.

Suspension and brakes are totally different, but the engine/trans/diff would work, and you could grab the CV axles and get an adapter from Ross and get those on.

Ahh.. well, I could probly use the M/C anyway right? I was thinkin of the toyota 4x4/300zx upgrade anyway. Really, it's a good deal no mater how I look at it.. heck, I could just use the 5 speed and STILL say I got a deal! :lol: As for the c/v's, I could probly build my own adaptors (I work in a machine shop :)) and proby get the maxima brackets from a local J/Y.

:evil: CRAP!! MOTHERF&(*^# SONOFA^#*) GRRRR...... The car is gone. I finally got a hold of the dude, but the reaon he wasnt aswering his phone is that he was out; selling the car!!! :(:cry:

Anyway, I have a line on another zx I could get.. for free... I have to go break in to it, unlock the steering and tow it from 2 hours away (guy lost the keys, ownership, and just wants it GONE) BUT it's an N/A Auto (eeewww.. slush box..) 2+2 model... I dono.. if for nothing else, a good 2.8 to build up for my s30.. maybe a diff in better shape than mine.. if the chasis is half decent, maybe a good candidate for a V8 swap.. have to see if I can get an ownership for it though.. *sigh*...