HybridZ

Has anyone lightened a stock 280ZXT flywheel?

KG78Z

I was talking to a guy who is big in VW bugs, the old ones. He said that they could grind down or grind off extra metal from the stock flywheels and make a perfect fuctioning 9lb flywheel from the stock one. He said they wrapped up like hell. Has anyone ever tried this with a 280zxt flywheel? I do not know the specifics about either vehicle, was just wondering if this was feasable?

Just wondering??

KG78Z

Top End Performance does this with Z flywheels, but I don't think they go under about 16 lbs with a stock flywheel. I think they have an exchange service for their lightened flywheels: http://www.racetep.com/flywheel.html

You could get a Fidanza aluminum flywheel, I think they get down to about 11 lbs or so, and they're aluminum.

Taking a cast iron flywheel down to 9 lbs is asking for trouble IMO.

I had mine lightened from around 23lbs to just under 18lbs. My local machinist was not comfortable cutting any more material out of the flywheel and he took alot of time to explain why.

I had it then re-blanced and it has been simply awesome.

I wish I could get it down to around 16lbs but you would be getting close to the point of sacrificing the overall integrity. Also its a comfort zone thing with most machinists.

I can post pics if you like.

The smaller 225mm can be lightened quite a bit more than the bigger 240mm flyywheels.

Regards - Yasin