HybridZ

T56 question

Guest DueceDawgyDogg

Guest DueceDawgyDogg

Is there a site that sells T56 trannys from a 93-97 camaro/firebird just straight out? And can the tranny from a 93 camaro bolt up to a 98 LS1? Another question I had, can a complete engine/tranny out of a 98 camaro just be swapped in to a Z? smile.gif

info you might use

http://www.drivetrain.com/gmt56inst.html

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56pics.html

bwt5613.gif

Listed below are the critical dimensions of the T56 in comparison to T5 and traditional four-speed transmissions. Metric dimensions are converted to inches, rounded off to the nearest 0.1 inch.

Trans model

A

B

C

D

E

F

GM Super T10, Muncie, Saginaw

N/A

N/A

GM T5 (V8)

GM T56 F-car (production)

GM T56 F-car (aftermarket)1

Notes: 1. Dimensions B through E include 0.5-inch-thick adapter plate

Guest DueceDawgyDogg

Oh, well if the tranny comes with a clutch then thats cool. I just sort of wanted to see if there was a site that would sell the tranny. Any accesories with it is fine by me. But what about using the complete engine and tranny assembly from a 98 LS1 equiped car? will it bolt right in as "easy" as an LT1 engine and tranny?

As for cheap I dont disagree, and for kits instead of self fabrication, well for those wanting kits yes, easier in that regard.

LT1/T56 combo can be had for $1500 if your lucky, $2000 is about the most I'd pay, but many yards want $2500-$3000, with LS1/T56 setups averaging $500-$1000 more than the LT1 setups, plus more expensive PCM editing, the O2 sim ordeal, all those little things add up!

I recall reading someone who said that the LS1 mounts dropped right onto the Datsun Xmember, and at that moment I just thought, wow, lucky dog. But I'll probably go LT1 for the above reasons, if and when I get to do the swap, although the Ford 5.0 is still in the back of my head.

Originally posted by Tim240Z:

[QB]

quote:

although the Ford 5.0 is still in the back of my head.

Although, if you have to fab your own mounts anyway, why not go with the higher CI LS1?QB]

Lighter, cheaper, LS1 would be great but the $$$ is depressing. I am also much more familar with the LT1, but $600 rockers for the LS1? EEEEEEEEESH, I'd spend the extra dough for shaft mounted, but still, the hop up stuff is just way expensive, and I dont want to spend LS1 Edit kind of money either.

A year down the road though, who knows...

Mudge,

From what I've read (obviously not from experience with the LS1 swap), I would imagine the LT1 to be MUCH easier because:

1. off the shelf install kit (JTR) available

2. Computer editting much easier (Tunercat and LT1Edit)

3. Aftercat O2 sensors not an issue

4. LT1/T56 packages cheaper than the LS1 packages

....Just off the top of my head

Tim

Not tryna be picky, but helpful, search for "LS1", not "LS-1".

Also, I agree with Tim, but not on all counts. I think the LT1 would be much easier since you can just use the JTR kit. But, editting - the same company that makes LT1 edit makes an LS1 product. Secondary O2s can be left off (and editted out or there are sims). LT1 might be cheaper than LS1, but the corresponding T56 is actually more - the shop I bought my LS1 T56 from for $1100 sells the LT1 T56 for $1500. Higher demand, lesser supply.

But yes, I would recommend going LT1 if you want to actually finish your project within a year :rolleyes: