HybridZ

anyone tried installing a skyline R32 sub frame to S130?

Guest cs14silvia

Guest cs14silvia

wonder if this is workable. Got a donor car with rb engine and tranny. thinking of installing front end and rear end to the 280zx.

any idea?

Hi guys,

As some of you will recall this is a bit of a pet subject because I see it as entirely feasable. I have pics of an S13 200SX rear subframe under my spare 280ZX, the rear subframe mounts can be bolted into the existing crossmember that supports the existing diff mount. The front mounts need to be extended but can be acomplished by by cutting and joining up sections from the existing front trailing arm support. You need to bash the floor ( not severely) where the upper front trailing arm is.

With 40mm offset wheels you will have a rear track of 1460mm. You could narrow the multilink subframe 40mm on the right hand side and use 2 left driveshafts, this would offset the front diff flange the same as original ( multi-link has the diff flange central to the car)which should fit within the existing guards.

The only other problem to check is the angle of the rear struts and the angle of the bottom strut mount on the on the hub support.

To improve the front you could use Z31 front hubs modified to accept 54mm deep skyline rotors as a slip on thus allowing 40mm offset wheels on the front as well. Neil

Further info. (S14-15 supposed to be the same as Skyline)

Rear mount width S14 616mm

Rear mount CL to axle CL S14 165mm S130 R180-139mm R200-181mm

Front mount width S14 1080mm S130 1020mm

Front mount CL to Axle CL S14 425mm S130 500mm

F to R Mounting height difference S14 147.6mm S130 120mm?

Upper strut centres S14 960mm S130 974.6mm

Upper Strut centres behind axle CL S14 83mm S130 114mm

Upper strut height from rear mount S14 455mm S130 588.7mm

• 2 months later...

Actually, the R32 subframe is not the same as the S14 & 15. The 32 subframes are a direct bolt-on for S13, but stronger (reenforced). The S14 & 15 subframes are not identical, but are interchangeable, as with the R33 (& I THINK the R34) subframe.

The bolt holes on the 32 & the 33 are SLIGHTLY different, but can be modified to fit (some shops in Japan have spacer for this mod)

I really don't think that these differences really make a difference for the S30 chassis, however, since there's going to have be cutting & welding to fit, anyway.

To answer your question, yes, it's been done. It can work, but with alot of work.

Kenny

RB Motoring

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys

I'm looking at swapping in this R32 GTR complete rear frame/diff into my s30 '72 240z.

R32_GTR_rear_assbly.jpg

I have taken heaps of measurements and will jump under the back of the zed this weekend for a measure up and a look.

Here is a close up of the diff and CV shafts (shafts measure 30mm)

Closeup_of_R32_diff_shafts.jpg

This swap would gain alot

1. R200 MLSD

2. Strong CV joints and axles

3. Strong rear hubs (eliminate weak 240z stub axle)

4. Positive mounting of the front end of diff (its clamped in)

5. Better multi link suspension

6. Big 5 stud rear brakes

7. A generally stiffer rear end (because of frame)

It looks like others have fitted the S13/S14 rear frame into S30's, i would love to see comments from others who have done this or seen this done, in relation to difficulty of this swap, please only make comment if you have experience with this swap.

Cheers Clint.

Clint, Havent done it but going to comment anyway. I tryed to put a supra rear end in my 75 corolla 4 years ago. It a circut car only and in the end it would have been much heavyer with the IRS. I was under the impression that you were going to want to drive this on the streets every so often, So you will need a cert. The subframe mounting points on the skyline dont come anywhere near the ones on the s30. I think you would need to add a lot of metal to the mounts. The other thing is that looks like a hicas rear. I guess you would have to run that locked out so then the rear wouldnt work as intended and you would have to spend a whole lot of time and money sorting it out. Its also wider. In the end it comes down to your skills and resources. It would be a cool swap but I dont think it will be any better on the track then a well modified standard set up. On the track you will run springs that are stiff enough and wont allow the standard set up to get into the range where it becomes compromised. The skyline set up will need a lot more work to get it track ready. Start buy thinking about the number of rod ends you will need.

Douglas

Thanks Doug,

That is what i really wanted, someone to talk me out of this silly idea. All the points you have raised are very valid and i have been thinking on all of those same issues.

I think i am far better to take the diff & CV shafts from the GTR and graft them into the Z, as then i can utilise my existing koni adjustable platform coilovers etc. and the current Z rear susp is already all fitted out with urethane bushes etc. Then look at using the GTR hubs etc as Jamie T is doing.

I think this would be a far better idea than trying to totally recreate the rear end and all the issues that would come with that.

And yeah thinking about it, i am sure that swapping in the whole GTR frame would add ALOT of weight!!

Thanks for your comments Doug.

A S13(?) subframe weighs ~ 24kg bare, thats the model which had a R180 short nose diff. It has only four points that mount to the body which are flexibly insulated stock.

This subframe concept seems to be used to aid assembly in the factory and to insulate the body from noise, vibration, etc. Considerations such as weight and overall body stiffness seem to be secondary.

For the reasons given by Douglas its a dubious mod to use such a subframe system in a S30. The extra weight alone is a killer.

Interesting to consider its use in a S130 though as Neil mentioned. Wondering how the weight aspect adds up. Don't like only having four mounting points though, particularly if flexible mounts are used. To get a stiffness benefit the subframe should be solidly tied into the body at many points.

If just a cruiser S130 is required then its difficult to see the benefits which would be worthwhile if a S13-14 subframe assembly was used.

At the last ZCCA show in LA there were three or four zx's with RB conversions there, and they all had s13-r32 type subframes installed with five lugs and huge brakes. It looked pretty stock. Skylines use a clutch type lsd and are commonly swapped into s13-14 as an alternative to a kaaz or other 2way type lsd unit. Lots of work in a s30, doesnt seem to be as bad in a s130, as some of the rear subframe conversions i was checking out used flares in the rear to eliminate any cutting or custom cv axles. Makes me want to pickup another s13 to try that skyline rear subframe swap.

There are also steel inserts online that go over the rubber bushings of the rear subframe that really stiffen the rear of the s13-14 z32 r32---etc (all of them use the four point mount rear subframe and the same bushing). Basically goes in like four mustache bar bushings.

• 3 months later...