HybridZ

Best kill yet, and the most unexpected one at that!

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

My friend John at work, one of the tow truck drivers, has been building up this '64 chevy nova for about the last year, he and his son, actually. Eventually his son will inherit it. Anyways... they've done a great job, I've seen pics of the before, and seeing it all done, it doesn't even look like the same car. Rebuilt motor, tranny, diff, all new interior, body is straight, in grey primer, just needs paint. It's got a mildly built 350 SBC in it... details he gave me were upped compression with different pistons, minor porting and polishing done by himself at home, stock cams though I dont know from what, probably the stock nova cams that it came with I guess? High rise intake, I forget the brand now, big azz holley 4bbl on it, obligatory K&N, headers and straight thru, 2.5" pipe and mufflers.

I figure this guy has GOT to be making good power. He can floor it in any speed when in first gear or that will make the tranny (3 speed auto) downshift into 1st, and it will start smoking the tires instantly. Oh yeah it's got a posi traction as well. Leaves nice very long dual tire stripes at will, this car. I'm eggin him to get the damn thing to a dyno and scale so we can see what's really going on, but he's estimating 300hp at the fly, and says it's one of the lighter old chevy cars, or so he believes. So his son comes with him to my job last night, and the kid's eyein my car over, I had the hood up, double checking the clamps on my new I/C install. I could just read on this kid's face "ain't no way this thing can beat my dad's car"... really smug look.

So we head down the street... of course the obligatory disclaimer applies :D I work in an idustrial area, graveyard shift, and the place is ABANDONED during the hours I work. Also there is about a 1/2 mile stretch of road right there with no intersections. A very good place to race :twisted:

So we line up and his kid yells ready set GO and of course I bog the lauch by letting off the clutch to fast, as I ALWAYS do when racing... so I don't even hit boost until the end of first gear (lots of LAG after the I/C!!). But it didn't matter, he's got no traction in first so thru first we're both just about dead even. I hit second and chirp hard and immediately gain about 2 cars on him. Carried it on into third, about 70-80mph, and the gap just increasing rapidly, maybe 4-5 cars on him by the time I let off.

We pull back in front of the office and his kid looks just dumbfounded, but John has a big grin on his face. He gets out of his car and says "hey man you gotta give me a ride in that thing!" I take him back down the street and do a GOOD launch this time, getting boost quick and spinning the tire a bit, throwing john back in the seat :D . Get back and his kid still didn't look too thrilled...

I never would have expected to beat his car, and that badly to boot... all he really has left to do to it are cams, and I dunno, something with a different tranny or diff maybe? As badly as I was pulling away from him I dont think traction would have helped much, just closed the gap a bit maybe.ah well, good times, good times :)

So uh... I shoulda went with an SBC huh?? :D (TIM!!!!) :D:twisted::D:twisted:

Somebody help me out with this story. The Z puts out about 210 to the wheels and the Chevy II puts out about 260? Weight can't be that far off unless the driver of the Chevy II is 600lbs. The Z wins by 4-5 car lengths (how long was this race?). Both terrible launches (did he spin through all three gears?). These are the facts, right? I can't beleive there could be that much of a difference between the two cars. So it comes down to driving ability. Either that or the guy is a really bad engine builder and his estimate of 300hp to the crank is really 200hp.

The reason I ask is because I had a turbo in a 78 putting out 200hp to the wheels with only 8psi of boost. And no matter how good the car was running it would have never come close to beating my 67 Chevelle SS with a little ole 350 in it. The Chevelle is a heavier car than the Chevy II and the only major differences were the engine and the rearend. My Chevelle had 4.88's.

With my Z being pretty close to the 280ZX (with less weight) and the Chevelle being heavier than the Chevy II and having driven both cars (my Z and Chevelle) I can't see this being a cake walk for the ZX without something being very wrong with the Chevy II.

Having riden in a Z32 with a LS1 and seeing how much power it had, I can only imagine what it's like in a 240/280Z. My guess is Tim would be waving bye-bye after shifting into second.

If the Chevy II still has a stock cam in it, it's only going to be putting out a little better than stock horsepower at best. Something about having independant rear suspension tends to make the Z squat and launch better than solid axle cars too, even with a bad initial launch.

Tim, I beleive the word you are searching for is "Hoover" or "Mighty Vac" :D

Mike

ehhh....don't forget I used to have a ZXT....turbos are fun' date=' but ...... :D:D[/quote']

Turbos are fun. Period, no buts. :twak:

Ive found out the hard way that a stock boosted s30 body with minor bolt on mods and no boost increase will go neck and neck with a 350z this afternoon, 7psi and a z33 couldnt reel me in, so I can believe the Nova.

Good job.

Somebody help me out with this story. The Z puts out about 210 to the wheels and the Chevy II puts out about 260? Weight can't be that far off unless the driver of the Chevy II is 600lbs. The Z wins by 4-5 car lengths (how long was this race?). Both terrible launches (did he spin through all three gears?). These are the facts' date=' right? I can't beleive there could be that much of a difference between the two cars. So it comes down to driving ability. Either that or the guy is a really bad engine builder and his estimate of 300hp to the crank is really 200hp.

[/quote']

There are a lot of other factors to consider. Who cares about peak horsepower numbers? Area under the curve is what matters, combined with proper gearing for your power curve, and some way to get it to the ground. Also the Z's in turbo form tend to put out significantly more torque than you'd expect by their hp numbers. (Bastaad525 is almost 270ft-lbs)

We have a 300hp S10 here stripped down, lightweight and running. And while it has way more power than the Z's we have around here, it's freaking SLOW by comparison. Why? No weight on the rear wheels of the S10. It just spins and feels slow. The Z's, just squat, hook up, and screw off leaving things like the S10 in their dust.

Guest 2slo4u

Hookin it up... Turbo Style! (Sorry, just feeling good about owning my zx lately) :D

81zxturbo"Turborama, Turbolaruskiiiiii, Turbomannn, The TURBO meister"

95slobaru"just slo"

I'm not disputing what happened only that from my experiece with both a 280ZT and a 67 Chevelle, that my 280ZT would have been no match. In fact I kept letting a lot of Z owners drive my 280ZT because I wanted to hear from them if they thought my car was fast . They said it was but to me it still did not compare to my Chevelle. I would love to see this Chevy II up close to see just what has been done to it.

And I continue to say that Tim would be waving bye-bye as he shifts into second againts a L28ET conversion runing 11psi.

Do you guys think that this is a debate between a turbocherged L6 and a V8? I'm only comparing what I have experienced with two cars of similar make and engine setups. I'm not intrested in debating which is better, a turboed L6 or a V8. There are to many variations that make it impossible to debate. I'm only asking questions because of what I have experienced with my own cars and the fact that my outcome would have been very different.

And like I said before Tim would be waving bye-bye as he shifts into second againts a L28ET conversion runing 11psi.

Sorry about the mixup saying a 280ZX when the conversion is in a 240Z. Still don't think it would change the outcome with my comparison/experience.

small turbocharged motors will really suprise you... I just bought a brand new Dodge SRT-4 (2.4L turbo, 15psi) and smoked a 99 LS1 camaro on the way home from the dealership with only 27 miles on the car. The twin cam 16 valve 2.4 is a torquey little 4 cyl anyway, then the boost kicks in! 0_o