HybridZ

240SX Viscous diff case in Z R200 + 88 SE halfshafts?

Sean73

How does this sound for a way to install a 240SX VLSD in a Z R200?

1) Get a low mileage 240SX VLSD differential case or complete diff ass'y off Ebay. $2-$400

2) Get 88 SE halfshafts from Victoria British (rebuilt) $380

3) Swap 240SX diff case into 300ZX R200, re-using the R200 12mm ring and pinion.

4) Get CV companion flange adapters from Modern Motorsports $200

I figure for under $1000, this would make VLSD possible in a 240Z, and get the CVs to go with it. The alternative for me is to pay $500 for a junkyard clutch-type, in questionable condition, and still have to pay the same amount for the CV conversion parts. I'd trust a used VLSD off a late-model 240SX over a used clutch-type off a 16 y.o 300ZX.

The only thing I am not sure of, is if the 88 SE halfshafts will match the 240SX diff splines. Anyone know for sure?

Sean

73 240Z, L28ET, T3/T04E, NPR IC, Z31 ECCS

• 5 weeks later...

> uh... you can get new clutch type from nissan or MSA for under $800

Yes, true, but my budget of $1000 also includes new CV halfshafts and the adapters required to fit in an S30. Actually, I'll be able to do the CV/VLSD conversion for about $600, with almost all new parts, since I got the VLSD carrier for next to nothing.

Sean - You may want to call V-B and see if they will do a spline count and OD check on the 88SE shafts for you. Then you can measure up your diff and make sure before smacking down the cash. I'm interested in this also, because I have a Z32 N/A diff sitting in the shop doing nothing right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my VLSD project. Ok a couple of things I know so far:

The 240SX VLSD carrier should drop into a standard Z long nose R200 case, so long as it uses the 12 mm ring gear bolts. As far as I know, the 12mm ring gear bolts came on all Z31 R200s after 09/85.

The 240SX VLSD uses the same side bearings as the Z R200 (checked the fiche).

88 SE halfshafts snap right in to the 240SX carrier. I verified this for myself. I had a hell of a time getting them back out. Victoria British and some big-chain auto parts stores sell these rebuilt for about $130+ each.

I've seen some write-ups that 240SX guys use the Z32 NA VLSD carrier sometimes to update their open diffs. Based on the above, I think the Z32 NA VLSD will fit in a Z31 R200.

Now I am all set to go to do the 240SX carrier swap, and use the modern motorsports CV adapters. Now I need to find a 3.54 differential out of a Z31.

This may seem like more trouble than it's worth, but the 240SX VLSDs and the Z32 NA VLSDs are plentiful and cheap. I could wait for years for a clutch-type LSD to show up at my local U-pull.

Sean

73 240Z Turbo[/i]

Sean - Can you give us a spline count of the SE halfshafts? I have a Z32 NA R200V at home that I can check to make sure. Then we can put this one to bed.

One other thing about the Z32 200v - it uses 13mm bolts on the ring gear. Spacers will be required, not a big deal.

Thanks - Doug

Sean - Can you give us a spline count of the SE halfshafts? I have a Z32 NA R200V at home that I can check to make sure. Then we can put this one to bed.

One other thing about the Z32 200v - it uses 13mm bolts on the ring gear. Spacers will be required' date=' not a big deal.

Thanks - Doug[/quote']

R32 GTS-T R200 also uses 13mm bolts.

> uh... you can get new clutch type from nissan or MSA for under $800

>for 700 you could buy a Nismo Clutch Type...

> I thought you could get a brand new clutch type for $500 from http://www.differentials.com

Ok, let me explain the economics of this again with updated figures:

$200 for low mileage JDM VLSDs on Ebay. ( I actually got a new one)

$300 for remanufactured CV axles

$215 for Modern Motorsports CV adapters.

So that's $715 total. About the cost of a Nismo clutch-type, but I am also getting the CV upgrade with it (which I wanted anyway). The CV upgrade accounts for $515 of the price. So a Nismo LSD, + CV upgrade would cost $1215.

I'll get back to you on spline count tonight, and maybe some pics too.

Sean

73 240Z Turbo

Guest brianglawson

ah i see didnt pay atttention to the cv'z, hope your not going for to much power though, im an sx owner, and most people are dissatisfied with a car with say around 275rwp and a stock vlsd, but if you arent buildning an extreme beast, sounds good then:) it will be more streetable than a clutch for sure:) may i recommend an upgrade for it though, goes in both open diffs and vlsd diffs, from jgy customs

bottm right hand side of the page

http://www.jgycustoms.com/240sx/clutch.htm

i have one in my open diff, and man is it nice, both wheels grab nice:):) and jason and shaun do good business, i bout my sr20 fromt hem my intercooler, and actually just went their today to pic up my silvia front end:)

Heres a pic of the J-30 output flanges. Unfortunately I didn't count the splines when I had it apart, I'll have to pull one tomorrow to check. Looks very close though. Some pics of the outer end of those SE shafts would be nice :D

index.cfm?p=gi&i=11230&r=1017&t=reg

Mike

• 1 month later...