HybridZ

Z31 Suspension Options?

Guest SS-Z31

Guest SS-Z31

I'm really looking for a nice suspension setup for road course use. Something along the lines of the Apex-i pro damper or JIC Magic flt series.

So far I haven't found anything for the 1988 300ZX other than some makeshift coilovers.

I know the Z32 brakes work on the Z31 but what about suspension for a Z32 onto a Z31? Has anyone tried this or heard anything? If it doesn't work what about any other options for a very nice track suspension?

The rear supsension on Z31's is about as bad as it gets. There is a guy in AZ that put a complete rear Z32 rear suspension onto a Z31. pretty much bolted on. I don't know if he posts on here though. He said the track was a little wider than the Z31. He was still using Z31 front though. 240SX rear suspension is very similar, I don't know if the mounting is the same but it would be a cheaper swap.

I hear that the Z31 can be made to handle pretty well keeping the mostly stock design. It is a generally less desirable setup than the S30's or Z32's, but it's main problem is how softly it is tuned from the factory. After 18 or so years of abuse, my 86 handled like an 80's Buick when I got it, almost scary. Right now I have Tokico HP's and urethane on the stock sway bars for a tremendous improvementt, it still likes to rotate though, especially in the rain.

The rear suspension on the Z31 and Z32 is completely different. The only hope to fit the later parts is to bolt in the complete rear subframe from a Z32 or S13/14 240SX. I don't know how "bolt in" it is, I do have the parts here from both, and plan to do some measuring. The front mounts of both style subframes are similar, a pin dropping out of the floorpan, the rear of the Z31 mounts with the diff mount, while the Z32/S13/14 is another set of these pins. So, even if the front set of pins are the same style and spacing, another set has to be welded in at the rear somehow, and it looks to me that it would be very close to the gas tank, if you intend to keep it. I also don't know if either factory driveshaft would work, or if you would need to mod one.

The person on Z31 that has done this is "Ken in AZ", but I haven't talked to him any about it.

Oh, if the Z32 track is a bit too wide, then the S13 should be about right.

Also, depending on where and what class you plan to race in, this little mod would probably get you placed in an unlimited class where you most likely could never be competitive.

Jason

Guest SS-Z31

Damn I had no idea it would be that involved. Then again I did come from front wheel drive cars :roll::lol:

Jason, If you do actually start working on this I'd really like to see updates and get some information as you go along.

Thanks guys.

Go to Z 31.com and check out the message board, look for topics from yesterday and today, "Pictures from today" by Ken in AZ and "Some Z32 Suspension info" by TempestasZ. There are even pics. The front pins don't line up BTW, ken drilled through the metal bump stop in the front, and I'm tryiin to find out what they did in the rear.

• 1 year later...