HybridZ

Who has done the 5-lug? Starion wheels, Keep me in check!

So please confirm if the info is write. I searched...

To do a five lug conversion all I need is a turbo 85 to 89 Z hubs and bearings.

The hub will be .750" per side more outward when I am done.

Conquest/Starion 8 inch wheels with 5.0 backspace will fit with no spacers or flares. Assuming coilovers.

I can run Ross C's 13" brakes.

I can run 245's with ease.

Please any info is good

I once read a magazine article that ran some tests on a much-modded Eclipse w/8" wheels.

They had 245/50/16 tires on it, then swapped to 225/50/15 (same manufacturer/model) and it cornered and handled better - the tire didn't wiggle side to side as much and had a more consistent temperature across the tread (meaning more of the tread was working more often withe the 225's).

FWIW...

The front hubs don't have to be off a turbo car. Mine came off an 87 NA 300zx, bolted right up and have about .75" more offset to the outside than the stock 240 hubs. Bearings are interchangeable between the two, but you will need the 300zx grease seals.

Mike

I have a set of conquest wheels that I was gonna do the same project a little while back. I came across a set of panasports for cheap and put the conquest wheels aside. If you need the set of them for your conversion, send me an email. Check my feedback on ebay. I'm a straight shooter, so to speak. :D

Oh yeah, i have front 5 lug hubs too.

I have a set of conquest wheels that I was gonna do the same project a little while back. I came across a set of panasports for cheap and put the conquest wheels aside. If you need the set of them for your conversion' date=' send me an email. Check my feedback on ebay. I'm a straight shooter, so to speak. :D

Oh yeah, i have front 5 lug hubs too.[/quote']

Hey Palnet, if this sale dosen't go thru, I'd like a shot at them. Mine are kinda rough looking on my TSI

I want to use them on my Conquest because a couple of them have the clearcoat cracked.

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

Is this 5-lug conversion only for the early Z's, or will it work with my '81 280ZX as well? I've been thinking about redrilling my hubs to a 5-lug pattern, but problems arise as I think about how to do it (existng hole interference, bolt circle size, etc.). If the swap is good for a 280ZX, what hardware will I need off a 300ZX? Is there any preffered year?

Thanks in advance guys, the help is appreciated.

Swap should work on the ZX as well. Re drilling the fron hubs would be a waste of time, unfortunately, there aren't too many options for the rear, so they'll most likely have to be drilled. Ross C at Modern Motorsports sells rear stub axles drilled for 5 lug. If you have access to a welding machine and milling machine with indexing head you can do the work yourself too. To use a 40mm offset wheel in the back, you'll need a 1.5" spacer as well. I think there may be a company that makes 1.5" 4 lug to 5 lug adaptor/spacers that would also work for converting the rear to 5 lug, but I don't remember now where I saw them :( Hope this helps,

Mike

• 2 years later...

Would it be reasonable to think a 3/4" disc could be welded to the stock stub axle in the rear? It could be machined to the equivalent diameter as the Z31 stub and drilled for 5 lugs. That would make an instant match to the Z31 front hub and it's 3/4" offset. The disc could be laser or waterjet cut from a piece of 3/4" or 1" plate steel. Any competent machine shop could perform the services. Am I missing something? Input?

I have conquest/starion wheels on my Z, but I bought it that way.

The front hubs are supposed to be from the conquest and the rear from a 300zx. I currently have crystalized brake pads up front and the conquest pads I've bought do NOT work. idk what to do!!!! = /

But anyway, they looks good I think. I have fiberglass flares on my z, but they're just for looks. The stock fenders were not cut to fit them on. I'm running 245 nitto extreme drags on the back too.

100_5323.jpg100_5308.jpg100_5314.jpg