HybridZ

RC inj run rich

dapiper

Got my new fuel rail (thanks pallnet) but the 550 RC peak and hold inj running rich, especially at idle, loading up and coking wide range UEGO. Inovate reads 11:1 at idle and 13:1 at 2500 RPM.

Replaced Bosche pintle blue top 470 with the RC disc 550 cc/min. The Bosche dialed in fine, but tired and prone to clogging around town, although ran stoic over most of range when clean.

May have been on hairy edge of adjustability with Bosche and just lost idle range, but above idle at 2-3K RPM, can adjust to peak RPM with rich and lean roll off. Optimum RPM still much richer than Bosche inj. Don't think increased capacity that much.

Above all static in garage. Will try drive tomorrow with more measurements.

Noticed the disc is recessed in the inj nozzle, which may affect low volume atomization. Anyone notice something similar with the switch to disc inj?

Running simultaneous double fire ECU with HLM hot wire AFM.

• 2 weeks later...

Tell us a little more about your fuel system. I have not heard of that setup before. 550cc's are big injectors. Ive been looking at some but it would be forever before I can use them so Im using the bosch 420 mercedes injectors. By the way you are not to far from me I live about an hour from cincinatti but may actually be taking a new job in sharonville.

Sorry for delay in response. Yeah look me up anytime. I'm in West Chester.

Yeah, just retired my Bosche blue tops. They flowed 45 pph static at 38 psi (470 cc/min)

Actually ECU probably intermittant, calib is not holding, suspect hot wire HLM or coked up UEGO on Innovate. Considering Motec M48. Anyone tried one? TECIII has too few cells for high boost. Anyone tried one?

My beast is 430 RWHP at 20 psi N42 L28. May ride mustang tomorrow. Expect 10% less than on my DynoJet. May wait 'til Fri when Walbro GSL392 received.

Anything over about 13 psi must run 1/3 Turbo Blue for blend of 100 octane R+M/2. The ultimate runs at 20 psi were with 100 % Shell 110 octane leaded. Cannot recall blend number. My CR is 8:1 on N42 with total of 35 deg advance retarded to 27 at 20 psi. Removed 3.5 cc from chambers to unshroud valves

OBTW, Mustang dyno said 310 hp with 3000lb inertial loading and 340 ft-lb. These pulls in 4th gear roll on to 18 psi. Basiclly 132% under mine and other DynoJets which were around 400 RWHP at same boost. These guys pretty green with their experience though. Did not include comments with each run and no printout, since printer broke all for $170 for 2 hrs, including widerange which was intermittant due to loose cable. Operator said he was reving to 6500 but trace cut off at 5700, below power peak. This probably explains why torque more than HP, which are usually equal on my motor. Hence, cannot compare HP but torque, which at 340 is still 15% low.

Thought motor was tired, since 70 K mi, but still has 155 psi compression and 2-3% leakdown. Runs confirmed that load enrichment of 11:1 was timing out allowing ECU to revert to base map, which had to be set to 12.3:1 to sustain A/F at end of run. In addition, discovered that manif ref hose to FPR was leaking at 50 psi. That was worth 2 A/F or 13%.

Maybe inertial load too high and should be set to 2500 lb to match weight of DynoJet drum?

The 435 RWHP run was at 21 psi and 10 deg more duration cam on my DynoJet in '88. Had full instrumentation for moitoring boost, EGT, NB UEGO, Exh press, turbine press, fuel press, and induction charge temp and flow. Even had turbine meter for fuel flow, which went from 53 to 5 gph at max power.

Meanwhile, how does 2750 pph and 40 GPH (measured, not calc) fuel equate to 310 HP? This is 0.8 BSFC which would not fire. Even assuming 340 HP, that's a pig rich 0.74 BSFC. We had no evidence of black smoke. The trace was smooth and continuous. The measured A/F was 12.3:1. This calcs to approx 406 HP at 0.55 BSFC.

• 11 months later...

Update on suspect RC inj; engine had cracked head #4 cyl leaking coolant which caused rings to loose temper necessitating engine rebuild. Now in break-in period with boost limited to 10 psi. Undecided on EFI ECU choice. Recommendations, experiences?

• 1 month later...
Update on suspect RC inj; engine had cracked head #4 cyl leaking coolant which caused rings to loose temper necessitating engine rebuild. Now in break-in period with boost limited to 10 psi. Undecided on EFI ECU choice. Recommendations, experiences?

I have looked into Microtech. A few guys on here run it. I know it can use stock sensors. AEM is also nice. and has alot of features. Most MKIV run that.