HybridZ

Installed HKS SSQ BOV,Turned Up Boost,then THIS Happens.Pics

slownrusty

Well on Friday my new HKS SSQ BOV arrived - pretty exciting! I bought the BOV, the 65mm steel flange with shipping for only $250 on eBay - great deal!

I drove down to my friend Doug's place (who is installing the 500cu.in Caddy motor in his Corvair) and used his Lincoln wire feed mig welder. Everything went smooth...the stock OE pop off valve was a pain in the backside to remove, but after some wrestling came free. I installed a brass 1" pipe plug in its place.

I also fiddled with my Turbo XS boost controller until I had my boost set at 10psi. On a quick test drive the car felt excellent....and very strong plus the sound of the BOV was a smile maker!!

Here are the pics, you can see my Z31 Turbo coil, my NPR IC, Permacool oil cooler, 60mm KA24 TB, Removed EGR, Flex-A-Lite twin electric fans, JSK polished fuel rail plus my hand polished brass radiator!

65065853.jpg

65065846.jpg

65065845.jpg

65065839.jpg

Coming home (a 45minute drive) driving on a great stretch of curvy sweeping black top along the Mountain side (don't forget this is Colorado), I was doing a brisk but comfortable 70ish mph.

Then...I see this red sports car overtaking 2-3 cars at time, hustling at a good pace in my rearview. It was one of these:

351742_1.jpg

A new blood red Lexus SC430, 300hp and 325ft.lbs of torque. Driver was a middle aged guy with a much younger and very attractive passenger (of course!). Well he decided that he could not wait for me to politely get over to the right, so he decided to over take me on the right!

I smiled like I just won the lottery, and I left the car in 5th and put the hammer down, he was shocked as I started pulling away from his pimp daddy wagon and I could tell he had that Lex. at full song, as hard as he tried he just could not catch the old Datsun and my 80mp/h speedo was buried, we were easily doing triple digit speeds. It was a nice steady strong pull away from his car, and the look on his face was priceless as my 22year old car just made his car get smaller and smaller in the distance. Try explaining that ish to your 25year old honey next to you!

I figured Okay we're done and all is cool, next thing you know he is back on my tail (hwy becomes one lane instead of two) and he is riding my bumper hard, again I leave my ZX in 5th and just drop the hammer, only to hand him yet another humbling session. The sound of his jaw hitting the pavement was heard in Greece at the Olympics!!

When I got off the hwy, I tooted my horn and gave him a friendly wave but the cloud of defeat was storming over him and his $65,000 baller wagon, so he did not reciprocate...

HA it was great!!! LOL....

Here is the old gal after a good scrub, polish and manicure:

65065873.jpg

Man did I mention I love my car at 10psi and I really love the sound of new HKS BOV...LOL

Well more to come soon!

Regards - Yasin

Nice Kill!! Boost is good!!!

I know what ya mean about surprising people in thier new cars. I killed a guy in a 350Z the other day on the highway and he and his girl just couldn't believe it. I think he was one of the few 350Z drivers that actually knew what my car was. The best is killing the late model F-Body cars. Those guys think they car beat anything on the road.

John, Cody, Frank and the Gang - Thanks for the compliments and kudos. Much appreciated.

I love a good ole humbling session, especially when I am handing them out!

Yes Boost is a VERY good thing...okay time to get moving on my Wilwood brake conversion and Z31 ECU swap!!

Yasin

Guest 2slo4u

Awesome kill. Man I wish I could've seen the look on that guy's face, ha ha! Too bad no one ever gets to tape those priceless encounters. That surely would be made a sticky as everyone here would love to check it out! It's a little warm out this morning, but I think I'll take the zx to work this morning anyway! :twisted:

Brian

81zxturbo

95slobaru

Speaking of kills no wonder its so easy to bring down the big game. I just read that the new viper only runs a 12.2 in the 1/4 with 500 stock hp. That time is quite obtainable and then some in a z.......Gonne be awhile before I go looking for one though lol

Guest bastaad525

That lexus has big power numbers but isn't really that quick at all. All the more fun whoopin on them when they think their car is so fast though :D That lexus is only good for 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, scants faster than a STOCK 280zxt :D ... he didn't stand a chance.

Thanks again gang for the feedback and comments.

The SC430 actually is a pretty quick car, maybe not off the line, but as it has a fair bit of torque and where it shines is the midrange acceleration like between 60 to 100mp/h.

To me that is where useful power lives, not only off the line, as we spend most of our time driving in the 60 to 100mp/h window.

Either way, I was pleased.

Regards - Yasin

• 6 months later...

Yasin, for that B.O.V. installation, ive been wondering for a while on my car where the hose on the top of the bov is supposed to go (dont have a bov yet getting one soon). Is the hose going into the thing above the idle control screw? I know its it the pic and quite visible but I jsut want to confirm. Also what is involved with removing the EGR valve? Was it a simple task, also its possible to just weld up the pop off valve isnt it? I cant wait to get a intercooler, i hate that sound of a dying dog when the pop off valve comes on, lol. Sounds bloody hideous.

Any chance of you recording a sound clip of the sound the SSQ BOV, im really curios as to wat is sounds like on a l series motor. Was it a mission to get that BOV welded on too?

The blue hose from the HKS BOV is going to a nipple on the intake - simple. If all your nipples are used you can put an inline Tee.

Removing the EGR is simple on the intake side...but where it connects to the downpipe its a pain in the *** to remove..you might get lucky and it may come off easily but with the heat cycles over 22years it fought me every second.

Don't weld-up the stock pop-off valve...just take a pipe wrench to it and it will come off, again be prepared to put some muscle into it to remove it. You can seal up the hole with weld if you want or use a 1" Pipe plug like I did.

The car sounds sick with the HKS SSQ, I'll try and get a sound clip. Installing the HKS BOV was easy!

Hope that helps.

Yasin