HybridZ

Vote for the best Rear suspension for my 240Z

• 2 weeks later...

Another option: IRS out of late model T-bird/Lincoln/SVT Cobra. The Lincoln and Cobra rear ends have aluminum arms and diff cases, the T-birds are steel. Diff is the ford 8.8", plenty of aftermarket gears and posi setups available. The whole thing unbolts from the car as an assembly, which would make the conversion a little easier. Maybe.

Is the Supra rear end made from deplete uranium? :shock:

Mike

I’m running with an ’80 vette rear. It is a single bar link as apposed to the 4 bar C4. It doesn’t squat all that bad at the drags and the car handles like a vette …go figure. Mine uses the steel ½ shafts and the C4 has lighter alluminum ones. I think Scottie was having troubles with the U-joint holes going oval on the shafts. I broke a few ½ shaft U-joints before I switched to solid racing ones.

The greatest draw back is the weight.

If only the stock Z stubs were stronger.

My setup was definitely a compromise and anything Cyrus goes for in his multi-purpose monster will also have to be a compromise. Its ludicrous to think ANY suspension could hold up and do the job launching a 500hp TT car AND be a killer on a road course. I will say, however, my C4 setup handled better than the stock Z suspension which had Illuminas and the drag strip performance spoke for itself.

I never broke a Z stub axle but I was also not running as much HP and was running 275 DRs, but I did bust many u-joints and eventually a CV. The broken Z stub axles I witnessed (more than I can remember) was on a local Z31 running low-10s with a 5-spd. Since that equates to about 500hp, I would say you will definitely break Z stub axles if you let that beast loose off the line. Since you already have the Supra IRS, I say go with it. BTW, I am assuming you are running a manual trans. If it is automatic then you will have less or no breakage. Will it be stronger than the Z IRS? Hard to say but my personal friend was the chief wrench and driver of the Titan Supra and he tells me that they ran the stock IRS and broke many axles but that was 1000hp and a manual tranny on 325 DRs. They switched to an automatic and had no more breakage and even dipped into the 8s with slicks.

I still get a kick out of the negative comments about Zs squatting on launch. I cannot imagine how much quicker my 60' would have been if I had only goten rid of that damn squat :D :D

Is the Supra rear end made from deplete uranium?

????

What year cobra I know the new once is a big piece of iron' date=' very crude...

T-bird sounds interesting....[/quote']

Deplete uranium is most commonly used for projectiles in large caliber weapons designed for shooting through armored vehicles. They use it for that because it is EXTREMELY heavy and dense. It's also the first thing that came to mind after hearing how heavy the supra ear end is :D

My friend had a 2000 SVT Cobra, it had the same aluminum rear arms as the Lincoln MK8. Not sure about the center section. The lincoln diff and arms are made from either forged or cast aluminum. The T bird has the same setup, but the arms are made from stamped steel, and the diff is cast iron. I would imagine that the stamped steel arms would be a little more durable, or at least less prone to stress cracks. Maybe a hybrid setup using the aluminum diff from the lincoln and the stamped steel arms from the T-bird would be the way to go. My only concern with this rear end would be the outer hub carriers. They are either cast or forged aluminum, and I've seen a few in the junkyards out here that appear to have failed from stress cracks. I would think that there must be an aftermarket replacement part for these that would hold up better, given the popularity of the mustang Cobra for racing. Hope this helps,

Mike

Interesting comment from Scottie regarding rear end squat on a Z! I remembers many years ago when the Corvette started using IRS. The guys ate the drag strips, that raced these vettes, ran extra wide slicks because.......when the rear squatted, the tires were no longer square to the track (the more the car squats, the more negative camber you have), hence less rubber on the ground. So to somewhat compensate, they ran wider slicks.....improving traction to some degree. My point is, it's not so much a matter of a car squatting but the relationship of a tire's contact patch with the pavement under launch. As most know, this is not an issue with a solid rear axle car.....like most drag cars use. So Scottie, you most likely could reduce your ET without an IRS setup. I guess the only exception to the rule, regarding IRS, is if the design of the IRS used equal length upper and lower transverse links. Just some food for thought!!!

Cool. 240SX subframe and parts are much cheaper and virtually the same. You should swap out the diff axles and hubs for Q45 or 300ZXTT parts.

And here's one of my build pics getting ready to weld the mounts in for the 300ZXTT R230. Q45 R200 bolts right in, but I wanted to use this diff. Low miles and very beefy. In fact, IMO this will be much tougher than the Skyline setup with larger CV shafts brakes etc.

Hybrid240sx300ZmaichorIRS.jpg

:D

• 1 month later...

Hey maichor, do you have any pics of the rear member installed? I've been thinking about this type of swap for years, and I finally have the resources (including location) to get it done. I'm not going to go as crazy as your setup.

I'm going back to japan for a month on business, and I'm picking up either a 180SX or a silvia. I'm going to try and scavenge as much as possible(engine, rear member etc.)

I'm also going to try to talk to some shops back home that have done this swap, but I'd like your input, also, and hopefully some pics :D . I've read your posts about the swap, but a picture IS worth a thousand words.

btw, I have seen your posts that you have a link to more pics, but they don't seem to work.

Thanks a lot

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

So as not to hijack this thread, please go back to the other thread. Once I have the car on a lift I can take some pictures that will be easy to decifer. More pictures next week. Here is the link:

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=37733&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

AND here is a teaser . . . :wink:

misc_036.jpg

Guest Jasonv8z

I've got a rear suspension/subframe from a G35. It was cheap, looked light, and I figured it would be decently strong and upgradeable given the G35/350z's potential. Shipping weight on a pallet was 150lbs for everything but the springs shocks and swaybar. Let me know if you want any pictures or measurements. Haven't posted any because its not on the ZX yet.

What about the Scottie conversion? C4 vette......best compromise as far as I can tell....

Scottie never ran the GNZ on a road racing track... :D Some of the changes necessary to fit it under the Z might have compromised its performance (roll centers especially).

Absolutely agree with everything said. Keep in mind though that I knew my Z would never go pass the parking lot of a road race track BUT for a street car running in the twisty hills of Central FL, it could hold its own :D :D

Like John said, there is no best when you are trying to build a multi-purpose car. You have to be honest with yourself and answer the question of whether or not the car will see both a drag strip AND a road course. I think most people are kidding themselves if they say both and chances are the car will see drag strip duty and street cruising.

All the R230 and custom axles in the world will not fix the fact that the weak point is still the stubs when launching a 500hp manual tranny monster hard with slicks or ET Streets/QTPs. You are going to break stubs! I am a big advocate of using a stout IRS in this situation but I was running an automatic and DRs with a softer launch mighht hold up for you. OTOH, I snapped a 280ZXT CV with DRs. I would never sway anyone away from the R200 upgrade or R230 swap, but, make sure you understand the complete cost of all the swaps and you might be surprised, especially if cost is a factor. Combine the cost with how you honestly plan to use the car and make your own decision.

BTW, when you hit 500hp, you will want more!

Guest Jasonv8z

I put 3 photos of the G35 rear suspension assembly in the Gallery. I'll try to get some better ones when I get the digital camera back. Given the G35's rear track is about 5" over a stock Z, I don't think there is any way it will fit a Z without fender flares or narrowing the crossmember and getting shorter CV joints.

I keep thinking of that Pontiac commercial, "Wider is Better."

904078490029-med.jpg

-Jason