HybridZ

Children as Hostages

johnc

How ironic...

The Chechnyan Rebels have been a thorn in the sides of the soviets for a decade now. What I find so sad is how we collectively turned our backs on the Soviets when two years ago they came to the UN for support on actions against the rebels, who are largely supported by islamic fundamentalists from OUTSIDE the region. The US voted NOT to support the soviet efforts AGAINST islamic terrorist activities within a soviet region, yet we expect their support on OUR war against those same factions elsewhere in the world... this is the exact problem with the US, the UN, and world politics.

Most native Chechnyans are being held hostage in their own city and want no part of seperation from mother russia. This uprising grew from a small and violent faction that wanted to succeed from Russia, in order to hold its claim to stockholds of weapons and WMD held within the region.

Mike

What I find so sad is how we collectively turned our backs on the Soviets when two years ago they came to the UN for support on actions against the rebels, who are largely supported by islamic fundamentalists from OUTSIDE the region. The US voted NOT to support the soviet efforts AGAINST islamic terrorist activities within a soviet region, yet we expect their support on OUR war against those same factions elsewhere in the world...
I believe there exists now a de-facto US support of the Russians against islamic terrorists. I haven't heard the US make official statements of condemnation against alleged human rights abuses in Chechnya in quite some time like they used to.

When I see this I ask myself, "what could possibly keep the same thing from happening here in the US?" Then I listened to one of our administration's spokepersons patting himself on the back saying "proof of our success in the war on terrorism is the lack of any attack since 9/11." Yet I see how truely vulnerable we are in regards to this recent Soviet attack and think, "how arrogant can we possibly be?" I guess we thought we were pretty successful on 9/10 as well.

For a species that considers itself "enlightened," I find the actions taking place over there by humans, upon humans (and many other locations), to be very depressing.