HybridZ

What trans is this?

cygnusx1

This is a 5-speed I got free from a guy who claimed he pulled it out of a 240Z under warranty in the early seventies as a Datsun Mechanic. The tranny looked very clean and I had to swap my 4-speed bell housing onto it to make it fit the back of my L28 280Z engine. The trans is stamped with the normal nissan 5speed, F series, ID numbers on its side.

Here are the ratios:

Counter Gear 32 teeth

Mainshaft Gear 21 teeth

1st -3.592

2nd -2.057

3rd -1.361

4th -1

5th -0.812

I am running it in my 280Z Turbo right now with the 3.54 rear and the gap from 1st to 2nd is too wide and 1st is VERY low.

I did TONS of detective work to try to ID this tranny by ratios and the closest I found is a Nissan 720 Truck 4x4 Diesel :!:

I think I will be shopping for a good 81-83 factory 5speed non-turbo trans to replace this one. Anyone know wtf this trans is from :?: or anyone want to trade for 81-83 5-speed, non borg-warner???

Your ratios appear to be a little off, but they are very close to the 77-79 5 speed:

Gear, 77-79, 1980, 81-83, Borg Warner T-5 {Turbo Only]

1, 3.321, 3.062, 3.062, 3.500

2, 2.077, 1.858, 1.858, 2.144

3, 1.308, 1.308, 1.308, 1.375

4, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000

5, 0.864, 0.773, 0.745, 0.780

Yeah similar ratios but the funny thing is that it's a Nissan trans not a B/W.

Very strange because the guy said he pulled it himself out of an early Z under warranty when it was brand new and ended up taking it home and storing it in his shed all those years. It boggles me because there are no early Z's with 5 speeds. I lost touch with the guy that gave me the trans but I know for sure thats what he said. I worked with him for a few years at a car dealership. I fixed what had caused it to warranty before I put it in my car.

Bottom line is that it has one of the lowest F series 1st gears I've ever seen. It was fine for my NA motor but for the Turbo it's too quick to even build boost.

If you look carefully, there are 4 columns og ratios for 4 different transmissions in my previous post - the T5 ratios are the last column.

When I pasted the info, everything was spaced out nicely, and when I edit it it still is....

The 1st column of ratios is for the 77-79 5 speed tranny which is what you appear to have...

I have reformatted the post to include commas, since spacing didn't work.

Please note that the T5 is the only non-Nissan tranny...

Yes, they are similar but it is not a 77-79 if the ratios are not an exact match. I calculated the ratios in my trans by counting teeth on all the gears. Also, the bell housing that was on my 5-speed did not bolt up to the L28 block. I had to swap bell housings to make it work in a Z. My 1st gear is significantly lower than the ZX trans. It is too low for a turbo motor but probably good for a N/A. If anyone needs some low gearing in 1st, this is the tranny. :lol:

• 3 months later...