HybridZ

Is an '83 turbo OK?

Guest hgray14

Guest hgray14

I am looking at a 1972 240z with an '83 turbo engine in it. I have heard that there could be problems with the '83 engines because of the hydraulic lifters...I can't remember what the possible problem is...maybe it is hard to find parts?

Can anyone tell me that I should stay away from an '83 transplant?

thanks

Houston

I'm on my third turbo Z/ZX all with 83 turbo engines (130 to 200K mileage), some actaully claim that it's the best engine. Regarding the hydraulic lifters, yes, they don't make them anymore, so you can't buy any new ones. However, failure is quite rare and they have the plus of not needing adjustment and being quieter. I personally prefer it.

If you want to switch to a new performance turbo cam, a non hydraulic pre 83 set up might be better so you could install new lifters with the new cam, but again, in general, the turbo cars don't need a performance cam until you start going over 400HP. Lastly you could always resurface the rockers if need ever be.

Guest bastaad525

Anyways wasn't there a huge thread on here somewhere about how to service them? I remember reading that and thinking it sure sounded pretty easy. If worse came to worse the P90 non hydraulic heads are still not TOO hard to come by, you could always switch over, head swaps on an L28 aren't hard at all really. It's time consuming but not hard. Heck with a friend helping me last time when my head gasket blew, we had the head off in just over an hour. Putting it back on took about 2.5 hours. I've never heard of a P90A failing though. Also, be sure that that motor is indeed a P90A with the hydraulics, I believe it had been mentioned before that not ALL '83's had the hydraulic rocker arms.