HybridZ

best plugs for a L28ET Z...

Guest ON3GO

i did some searching but didnt find much.

i need plugs for ole blue Z.

its a basic L28ET motor, and i had autolite racing plugs in there, worked great but the car has been going crazy rich lately and there fouled.

what plugs would you guys recomend? and if i cant get them at autozone then where?

if at autozone or a shop like that what plugs and part numbers?

i need the car to run by tomorrow for school :).

thanks

mike

You can also run the Denso brand of plugs. They have them at Autozone. They are very similar to NGK. I don't have a part # but, they should be able to look it up by application. Just don't tell them that they are going into a 77. Make sure you tell them they are going into the 82/83 model. I'm sure you knew that but, I thought I would add it just in case you had a brain fart. :lol:

well i got some boush super ones for now just so i can go to and from school, BUT i need to order some NGK ones..

cant find out where though..

anybody have a site where i can get mine from?

it would help big time.

mike

Guest bastaad525

Denso's used to be factory equipment in Datsuns, of this I'm sure.

Sux that Auto Zone stopped carrying NGK's.... Auto zone stopping to carry a LOT of brands or products I like lately, dont really go there any more.

I've run Bosch platinums in my ZX before and it ran fine, I didn't notice any difference when some guys finally talked me into switching to NGK's. NO difference. I do know bosch makes very high quality plugs, and may try using them again at some point. I know everyone says not to but it's just another one of those things that may just be an 'urban legend' as I've yet to see any hard proof that non-ngk plugs run worse in a Z.

Whatever you do DO run the resistor plugs (the 'R' in the NGK's BPR6ES), you definately want the R since you are running fuel injection, and non R plugs can create some kind of interference with the EFI.

bastaad525 wrote..

I've run Bosch platinums in my ZX before and it ran fine, I didn't notice any difference when some guys finally talked me into switching to NGK's. NO difference. I do know bosch makes very high quality plugs, and may try using them again at some point. I know everyone says not to but it's just another one of those things that may just be an 'urban legend' as I've yet to see any hard proof that non-ngk plugs run worse in a Z.

This link may interest you....

http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html

Go to Seventh- Ignition and read the sparkplug writeup.

LARRY

Sorry to drag this thread on. :oops: I've used those Bosch "Platinum" overpriced plugs in my zx and my subaru impreza. In the zx, I noticed no difference in the way it ran and they actually eroded pretty quickly. I thought the "platinum" was supposed to last longer. In the subaru after about three or four months, I noticed my car started to miss on accleration. I removed the plugs to check and on TWO of them, the center "platinum" conductor had actually fallen out. I can't believe I paid six dollars a plug for those. Replaced both with NGK's, no problems. NGK's rule. :)

81zxturbo

95slobaru

I use the bosch platinum with 2 electrodes, since its way easier to index, and they seem to work well. Make sure the heat range is right, I would run a 7 in the NGK, in a turbo.

Anyway, I was making 19 psi on the stock 300zx coil with no misfires. Making more boost then that on the old turbo, with race fuel.

Guest bastaad525
bastaad525 wrote..

I've run Bosch platinums in my ZX before and it ran fine' date=' I didn't notice any difference when some guys finally talked me into switching to NGK's. NO difference. I do know bosch makes very high quality plugs, and may try using them again at some point. I know everyone says not to but it's just another one of those things that may just be an 'urban legend' as I've yet to see any hard proof that non-ngk plugs run worse in a Z.

[/quote']

This link may interest you....

http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html

Go to Seventh- Ignition and read the sparkplug writeup.

LARRY

Yep I'm VERY familiar with Bryan Little's website, I've read the whole thing probably about 20 times, it was like a bible for me back when I was building up my N/A motor. I know he does mention about the Boschs there, but I say again, my '81 ZX, running the mildly build 10.3:1 CR motor, stock EFI, MSD ignition, and other stuff, ran perfectly fine on the Bosch Platinum plugs. No misfiring or anything of the sort. And when I switched over to the NGK's I did not notice any difference at all.

In addition, I found that my Bosch's did NOT errode quickly, quite the contrary I ran those plugs for like 2 years, and I think I only had to adjust the gap on them once. When I changed them it wasn't because they were worn or weren't running right, it was because people kept hassling me about running german plugs in my japanese motor!

evildky - please explain why you think this is so?

And I do agree with lockjaw you should run the NGK 7's (one heat range colder) in a turbo, though I'm currently running 6's with no problems but my car does tend to run rich so I need the hotter plug to keep them from fouling.