HybridZ

Whale tails are Diesel!

Sven

-Do I win the most annoying topic for today contest?

So guys, today I bought a California Z kit. I happened upon the ad on another car site, and was taking the ferry over to Long Island for a pig roast this weekend anyway. Things worked out really well. The party was a great time, and on my way back to the ferry this afternoon, I stopped by the guy's shop to eye the goods.

I looked at the kit, and I'm still amazed at the condition. It looks much better than the pics show. All 5 parts (fenders, quarters, and wing) were basically new. There are small scratches, but this kit has changed hands at least twice, and has never been installed. There is one small 2 inch long crack from the lip of one fender, that will be a minor fix. I expected much worse, like broken edges and corners, flexed/cracking gelcoat, etc. A light sanding is all the prep I'll need.

Now for the best part! I asked what he wanted for the kit, and he spit out the $ figure I planned on using as my ridiculously lowball offer. I didn't even bother dickering. I didn't need to.

As I loaded the parts, the whale tail spoke to me. I realized that I wouldn't need to spend any more money on diesel speed parts. I give you Black Smoke Rice-Dog Racing's first vehicle. Afterwards, my truck was at least 5 sec faster 0-60. The added downforce kept the back end from getting squirrely over 150, and should help with stick off the corners on the AutoX course too. The hatch button hole will be perfect for my neon CB antenna! Does anyone know the Japanese characters for "Diesel"? I need a big sticker to help with my quarter mile times.

-Here's my race truck

Diesel%20Whale2.jpg

here is a fender:

normal_fender1.jpg

I had that exact kit on a 240 back in the 80's.... with SBC under the hood. Mine had the BRE style tail as an option, but I had the really HUGE whaletail on my other Z. I like the kit a lot, but I didnt have any fiberglass experience back then.... and had no clue on how to bond it, ended up selling the car with the kit tacked on, ready to finish. REALLY wish I could have kept it. The only thing I wasnt too thrilled with was the square headlight bezel... but it looked ok with the conversion kit I used. The biggest issue with that kit in my mind, much like any wide kit, is the finishing on the tail.... mot people left the openings unfinished, or filled with grill-work.... Never seemed quite right to me. But for $250 for the complete kit, including an obscenely huge and low airdam, I couldnt complain much.

Good luck with that project, pics will of course be appreciated... = )

You know, Bill, I was thinking the same thing! On the way home today I saw a new Land Rover, and the round headlights in a rectangular surround seemed oddly similar. The headlight could be mounted on the outer side of the bucket, and stagger the fog/driving light and marker light farther forward on the inside. I'm going to shop around for some lights to mock up this layout.

The next issue is clear light covers. They were never produced for this kit, as far as I know. I'd have a hard enough time finding the fiberglass version. Maybe I could heat and bend lexan correctly to follow the compound curve, but it would take several tries, which could get expensive. Blueovalz's sanded foam method might work to make a rough mold. This could work...Hmmm.

Guest SkidShark

Car has California rear quarters and whaletail all molded, excellent L-88 cowl induction hood. stock front fenders. 355 sbc, edelbrock, "Jags that Run" conversion complete with GM rear U-joint. 3.80-r200 rear. 700r4 w/corvette servos etc., B&M megashifter. New gas tank/pump, extremely cool and authentic Aircraft Owners Assoc. sticker on windshield. Cool deep dish wheels.

Me and my Dad put this together in spurts over 4 years that i drove it, only twice in the rain, and then while I was out riding my old Harley, a 16 yr. old crackhead broadsided me. (Z-car NOT involved!) That was a year and a half ago. Physically everything is functional now except my left shoulder, it will never be the same. No more hard driving. I'm gonna build myself a nice plush Jag with a big block.

Anyway, the car's for sale, i came to you guys first cause i used to post here way back when.

All the hard stuff is done, quirks worked out, handles great, my Dad did most of the brainwork on this one. He's a retired Automotive Engineering instructor, is now a NASCAR official. he's had his own winston race team and car, and held 2 NHRA drag racing worlds records in the early 70's.

Mechanically the car is top notch, my next upgrade was going to be putting on the "SUBTLE Z" front fenders from John Washington to widen the front to match the wider calif. rear fenders. I think this fender combination is great because they both keep the stock wheelwell lip, but allow tire widths you would need aggressive flares for. I really like the look of the rear cooling ducts on the Cal. rears..

I need about $9000 to get myself out of debt since the accident, I'm only asking $6000 for the car. i'll throw the cool sticker in for free.

see pictures at....