HybridZ

Nissan On-Car Rotor Turning Machine

I was reading in my wifes Z32 owners manual the other night and saw a statement that Nissan service departments have equipment that allows them to turn rotors - ON THE CAR. That would most assuredly account for any and all mechanical tolerances and eliminate runout.

Anyway - I checked with my local dealership - afterall it was a 1993 owners manual - and sure enough, they have the machine. Didn't know if that was common knowledge or not so thought I'd post it.

Yeah - $74 for both rotors - but I also get a 20% club discount so it will be about $60. Considering they do all the labor it's not too bad. If it were the 'burban I'd pull them myself and have them turned at O'Reillys for about $16. I want these rotors to be absolutely true though so I'm taking the car in tomorrow evening to get it done.

Most decent machine shops will have a machine that will let you turn the rotor on the hub, therefore making the whole assembly run true. When I put Wilwood brakes on my 240Z, I had to have the rotor and hat bolted to the hub, then the entire assembly was turned. I had slight vibration when braking before turning. After turning there is absolutely no vibration.

Pete

That's basically what happened to me. I put the JSK kit with the Willwood forged superlites on the front and got a tolerance accumulation run-out htat shoook the front like a cement mixer when I hit the brakes. Just got it back from Don Davis Nissan In Arlington - WOW - smooth as silk and do those brakes haul the car down. :-D:-D:-D