HybridZ

Well...it's begun

Well, I got the engine out of the Camino today.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go down and start buying all of the chrome dress up pieces for it.

The engine was already rebuilt in the Camino, along with the tranny. I'm going to use the TH350 that is in it (for financial reasons mostly). My headers are on order and should be here soon.

From what I read in the JTR book I might have to buy a new starter (need to go back and read that again), so, that's something else 'll have to do. More work than I'd initially thought there would be.

I really hope it's all worth it in the end.

I'm going to use the TH350 that is in it (for financial reasons mostly).

I understnd what you are saying because i did the same thing with my first swap in my 72... all i can say is don't DO IT.

#1 You will be hating it on the freeway turning 3,000 rpms at 55mph on the freeway this a fact.

#2 you will waste alot of money because as soon as you drive it for any distance on the freway you will be looking for a 700r4 or a t-5. now the driveline dont fit.. $$$

my advice to u is to go to pick n pull and get a wc t-5 out of a 86 or newer camaro with a v8 305, today is the last day of the sale "all trannys 69.99 + tax and other rapage

On my second swap in my 73 I did the 327 / t-5 and its like night and day on the freeway and more fun to drive.

Although i must say around town my 72 with the th-350 runs like a raped ape around town :P

oh yeah..forget the chrome frills for now if you are on a buget... u will need all your money for other stuff like drivline 150-200 bucks...exhaust 300-350$ and all the ather stuff that will nickle and dime u to death, trust me i know :wink:

Well, lemme do this...

I'll buy all of the major stuff that I know I need to buy (still have to buy a shifter, exhaust, driveshaft, etc...) and see how much I have left in the budget. (I already have the JTR install kit)

When I bought the El Camino donor car it already had a rebuilt th350 in it. So, as of this moment, I have around $600 into the swap, give or take, with a maximum budget of $1500. I don't think I'll have enough to get another tranny and still be able to do the swap....I'm going to be pushing it already as it is I think.

I'd rather have a V8 TH350 powered Z than have to wait another 6 months to try and save up to get a better tranny.

Besides, this car hasn't seen the freeway in a few months anyway. If I have to go somewhere on the freeway I always just take my bike or I could take my Talon TSi AWD.

• 2 weeks later...

good job... a rattle can of heat paint is a lot cheaper and looks better too

what kind of headers are those? I bet dollars to donuts they hit the steering rod :shock: looks like they will from the pic anyhow... dont think they tuck in enough.

my first swap was a msa type and i bought the msa headers and bamm first time..

the second swap i used jtr mounts (kinda like better) and the first two sets of headers did not fit at all...third set i bought the sandersons from jtr and they fit but i did have to ding #3 tube and grind off quite a bit of the aluminum spacer.

I have more respect for a good paint job on a budget then all the chrome parts money can buy. You did a great job of detailing the motor and you can always "upgrade" later to additional chrome, but who cares right now? Get it in, get it running, have fun.

If only I would heed my own words :roll:

Davy

Hooker street rod headers FIT.

Part #HOK 2100 are the black painted ones Summit sells for $154.95 (unless the price went up)

Part #HOK 2001 Ceramic coated (what I run) $275.95

Part #HOK 2101 Chrome $273.95

Part #HOK 2200 Stainless steel (overkill price :shock: ) $525.95

David

• 4 months later...

OK....

Just a few updates.

Got my Z ready for the swap. About the only thing left is to widen and elongate the mounting holes per JTR (is this absolutely necessary or just recommended?)

I ended up finding some headers that fit closer to the block so I think I'll be ok. I had to get what fit in my budget. I also had to throw a little chrome on because my old alternator brackets wouldn't work with my new water pump...but, Chrome will be at a fair minimum on the engine.

newheaders.jpg

enginechrome1.jpg

If all goes well the engine should at least be mounted in the car this weekend.

Guest tony78_280z

That motor looks GREAT. Ahh yes, I rember like it was yesterday (or last year anyway).... I spent a whole day (11 hours) scrubbing rinsing and rescrubbing my motor with a tooth brush, steal wool and degreaser. It took four times to get it spotless. Then I spent another half a day with chevy orange colored paint cans getting it shinney. But then I spent about 4 weeks with fuel problems and leaky carbs and ruined my paint job. It doesn't look nearly as easy to clean and repaint with all the hoses and lines and stuff in the way. I supose that is another chore for this summer.

Guest 83supaZ

PROPS on the engine! kinda the same thing i was thinking of doing to my engine.. only my z is going to be blue.. and my block will be silverish aluminum color.. with blue accessories etc.. im having to totally rebuild my whole engine... wish i had found a donor car with a rebuilt engine... BUT... i just sold my z tranny and engine today... and someone is coming to pickup my 86 transam body (AFTER i get radiator and tranny..spare wire, relays and fuel lines.. etc out) and then i get my taxes back soon... so i will have my z running (if it keeps on schedule) by june.. its a 383 stroker.. all brand new parts except block.. finish date for first fire depends on the IRS though lol BTW... how does the hi temp paint hold up to the heat on headers? does it eventually peel off??

Guest tony78_280z
how does the hi temp paint hold up to the heat on headers? does it eventually peel off??
Mine bubled and peeled off in seconds after starting the motor for the first time. I must have done something wrong.