HybridZ

383/TH350 Swap Completed

Cable

That's right, yesterday morning my 383 V8Z came to life with the crackle of open headers. Cam break-in went smooth, although I had to adjust a few valves. Shortly after I drove it 2 miles (open headers) to the exhaust shop and had a custom 2 into 1 system made using a Flowmaster Y-Pipe and a stainless muffler (pics soon). I thought the import-type stainless muffler would produce a "buzz" to mask alittle of the V8 sound, but alas it doesn't.

Although it does sound amazingly good, but still alittle loud for my taste. I might add two Dynomax Bullet mufflers before the Y-pipe on each headpipe if it attracts the wrong type of attention (cops).

Like any new swap, I have to work out a few minor issues.

First I have a front seal oil leak, but luckily I can remove the oil pan and change the gasket without removing the motor.

I also have a leak coming from the tranny dipstick (on the tranny housing). I am alittle worried the tranny case may have a hairline crack around the dipstick opening. If so, I might take the "easy" way out and just JB Weld it for the time being.

I will say this, it has TONS of torque that starts at a low RPM. I have two black skid marks on my driveway to prove it (accident when pulling it out of the garage). Last tonight I went behind our local Wal-Mart and did a mild burnout. With just alittle over half throttle from a stop in first gear I put the hurt on the little 195/60/14's tires in the rear (23" tall).

I need a taller/wider tires. I think I am going to start with 235/60/15's in the rear (26" tall). They'll add alittle more ride height and grip better. Who know what I'll go to after I convert the rear's to coilover.

The leak around the dipstick tube might just be the o-ring on the end of the tube. Had the same problem, and even thought the old o-ring looked good, it wasn't. A new ring and the problem was solved.

Yeah I thought so too, but I'll have to pull the motor/trans out to change it. The tube is pinned between the trans housing and the tranny tunnel. So, I can't move it up to change the o-ring/boot.

Nice job, but I was expecting a Project_BBZ. Doesn't BB stand for Big Block?

It does, your the first to notice (or say anything). However I was tired of looking at the stock 2.8 in the car and I already had the parts to throw together the 383. So, for now SBC, later....who knows. I am getting pretty lazy, maybe I'll stay SBC.

Looks like you did a nice job on the 383 installation but it still needs a couple of turbos. 8) 8) Is that a high Performance Z-FROG in the engine compartment???

Hanns

actually...i was looking at new products the other day. in response to the laughing gas backlash nitrous oxide systems designed a stealth system that looks just like a juvenile iguana. shame it's only a 5-shot... :lol:

very nice work and that first drive had to feel good! as for the big-block thing... from this day forward just tell everyone you destroked a 396 for a few extra revs... you can practice the facetious straight face in your nearest mirror! :wink:

Dateline: 9/24/04 around midnight

Place: Old Cropduster Air Strip owned by a buddy

Victim: Black STi, Black EVO, and Yellow EVO

Reason: Just for kicks, no money but alot of respect earned for both parties

Result: 3-0

I actually started the night by racing a Z28 Camaro (early '90's). Honestly I figured this guy didn't have a chance in hell, but I needed to break the ice with the crowd because there were some that were actually pointing and laughing at my poor, primered, 280z when I got out there.

After the horrible kill on the Camaro, no one was laughing anymore. Most looked really confused, especially since the last time it was out there (before the new motor/trans) it got beat by just about everyone (intentionally raced, knowing it would lose).

After the Camaro race, the owner of the STi asked to me run, I accepted thinking I'm gonna get killed. But what the hell right? Like all AWD's he launched on me pretty hard, but I caught him quickly and didn't stop as I flew by.

The next race happened as soon as I got back to the starting line. There were other people were already lined up to race, but were cool enough to let me and the black EVO run first (I think alot of people were hoping for me to lose at this point).

Again, I thought I was going to get beat. We launched and the EVO (big suprise) flat out kills me out of the hole. Then to make matters worse my Z gets out of shape on the 1-2 shift. I was in his blind spot at that point. I backed out of the gas, dropped into neutral and rode it out (no braking). Once I thought she was stable again and the EVO was far enough ahead to not get hit by me, I dropped her back into 3rd and dropped the hammer and sailed on by him. I still got him by at least 1 or 2 car lengths in the end.

Then the owner of the yellow EVO wanted a piece. He had some bolt-ons, not sure how extreme. He did mention something about 16 psi at full boost. Again, I don't know if that's stock or what. I waited awhile before running because I wanted to let my motor cool a bit. Then we finally lined up.

Everyone was acting like it was a prize fight or something. Just like the black EVO he stomped me out of the hole, but this time I was way out of shape from the word go. I thought he was going to win because I couldn't get all the way into it without spinning. I finally thought, screw it. So I short shifted into 3rd and hammered it. Despite being completely out of my RPM range I pulled him in and barely got by him in the end. I think his front bumper was at my rear tires. It was close, but he was hyped anyway and a great sport about it.

The whole AWD group was cool as hell.

I know once I get my 235/60/15 tires and wheels to replace the 195/60/14's on it now I'll have much better traction to play with.

• 3 months later...
Guest 77vegasz

I had the dipstick leak as well, it turned out that the firewall was causing my stick to push forward and pull up slightly out of the casing, just enough to cause a small leak. Check your firewall clearance. I pulled mine out, make a couple of hand bend adjustments, and have not had a problem since.

Great work, enjoy your ride!

Jon

The whole AWD group was cool as hell.

I know once I get my 235/60/15 tires and wheels to replace the 195/60/14's on it now I'll have much better traction to play with.

A nice bunch of guys to beat the crap out of, heh. Seriously, if they were cool, that's about as good as it gets. I think you'll be capable of space travel once you get some sticky (did I say sticky?) wider tires on that thing. They won't know what hit 'em. Nice job.

Davy

• 1 month later...