HybridZ

Need help with windshield wipers....

KraZeeZX

Ok.. I'm down to the LAST component of my Z... the wipers. Here's the situation:

I had my firewall moved back a few inches so I could mount my ls1 lower and further back. In order to do this, a new wall had to be made around the back of the engine that protrudes into the area where my windshield wiper linkage is supposed to be. The stock wiper setup will not work since the linkage cannot go through this new wall.

The only possible option I have found is something called a "Dual Reversible Motor" setup. Basically this is "two reversing motors located at both extremities of the windshield avoiding the need for bulky linkage. "

Looks like this: (this pic is pretty accurate too.. that green box between the motor represents the new wall built on the firewall. but my passenger side wiper originates from the middle of the windshield, not the far left )

dualrevm.jpg

Same kinda thing you see on a bus.. but smaller.

Do I have any other options? I wish I was at home so I could take some pictures of exactly what the problem is.

I think if I were able to get ahold of 2 similar motors.. but not reversed.. just 2 of the same that would turn the same direction, I could just mount those up and then wire them to move simultaneously.

Any input would be great! (I finish my Z once these wipers work! :D ) Thanks

-Vann

Ya.. I'm REALLY striving to do this right the first time so I don't have to fool with it later. :)

I think I've come up with a solution though... I'd be able to really see if it works if I were at home.

- Use the stock wiper motor, but disable the passenger side wiper by removing the attatched linkage and only run the driver side wiper.

- advantages -- I can use the stock wiring and buttons... it would be a cheap fix

- problems with this option... only the fact that I'll have decreased width of visibility during rain, and it's a bit ghetto to only have one working wiper.

I think this is the route I am going to take. Hopefully it wont be too hard to rig the system to work how I want it to. It's a shame though... if anyone sees me driving through rain, they're going to point and laugh at my one measly wiper! :oops:

I might look into a better fix later on that enables both wipers to work... but for now, this will get my car on the road and driveable in all conditions! :D

I'll keep y'all updated. I'll have pics this weekend as long as she's out of the paint shop!

-Vann

I removed my wiper motor, blades, and arms of my Z. I use Aquapel. It's like Rain-ex only it last 4 months insted of 4 days. I have no problem seeing in the rain, although I do have to stop at the gas stations once a night to clean the windsheild. :roll:

:shock: That sounds like a winner to me!!! When you stopped at the gas station to clean of the windshield.. are you talking about water-spots? I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. 8)

Thanks for the tip.. I think you just made my life a whole lot easier! :D

-Vann

Where I live in Oregon, your vehicle must have working wipers. However, it says nothing about an windshield! There are a frw gettho trucks running around without doors, top or windshields, but, their wipers work!

Where I live in Oregon, your vehicle must have working wipers. However, it says nothing about an windshield! There are a frw gettho trucks running around without doors, top or windshields, but, their wipers work!

LOL! I'll have to look into the legalities.. but I don't think it applies here, I don't think I've ever seen them check my wipers during an inspection. :)

-Vann

I removed my wiper motor' date=' blades, and arms of my Z. I use Aquapel. It's like Rain-ex only it last 4 months insted of 4 days. I have no problem seeing in the rain, although I do have to stop at the gas stations once a night to clean the windsheild. :roll:[/quote']

:shock: That sounds like a winner to me!!! When you stopped at the gas station to clean of the windshield.. are you talking about water-spots? I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. 8)

Thanks for the tip.. I think you just made my life a whole lot easier! :D

-Vann

I have to clean it to get the bugs off!

If you cant find the Aquapel I can hook you up for cost (I'm a dealer)

Where I live in Oregon' date=' your vehicle must have working wipers. However, it says nothing about an windshield! There are a frw gettho trucks running around without doors, top or windshields, but, their wipers work![/quote']

LOL! I'll have to look into the legalities.. but I don't think it applies here, I don't think I've ever seen them check my wipers during an inspection. :)

-Vann

I Texas you must have wipers or the car cannot be inspected. I think the no windshield thing is true here also.

Actually I'm pretty sure the law requires you to have just one working wiper. From personal experience getting my car inspected, working is a pretty loose term, and as long as it sort of hobbles its way across your windshield (or lack therof) you should be fine.

I hope you get that bad boy on the road soon, and since I saw some Dallas area guys posting here, you guys should check out the motorsports/events forum for the Ennis drags meeting on the 23rd. Quite a few dallas area hybrids are going, not just Z's this time. :D