HybridZ

Feeding the LS1, your thoughts please.

For the LS1 I am thinking about using the stock electric fuel pump to feed my 255L high pressure pump. I will leave the stock lines up to the stock pump and to the feed on the new pump, then run 3/16 line from there to the fuel rails. The pressure regulator is mounted on the fuel rails and will dump into the stock return line.

Please, your thoughts on this approach. Am I asking for trouble with this?

Dale

Dale,

Your going to need some kind of surge tank for the stock pump to supply, then have the high pressure pump draw fuel from the surge tank. I don't think the stock pump will meet the demands of the high pressure pump without some kind of tank in between.

I used a system similar to the JTR setup. I used stock lines to the AC Delco low pressure pump. 3/8 lines from the low pressure pump to the surge tank. The surge tank feeds the high pressure pump. I used a filter before the low pressure pump. And used a Corvette filter/regulator after the high pressur pump. The filter/regulator dumps excess fuel back into the surge tank. There is also a return line from the surge tank to the main fuel tank. Hope this helps.

Tom

With my 280Z (fuel injected to start with) I just replaced the stock pump with the John's Cars pump that has higher flow/pressure. It is mounted in the same location as the stock pump. No surge tank or additional equipment required. Using the stock Datsun fuel supply and return lines.

If you have a 280Z then you already have a baffled, fuel injection gas tank. You probably won't need a surge tank or a low pressure pump. If you have a 240Z then you will either need to switch to an early(1975-1976) 280Z baffled, fuel injection gas tank or use a low pressure pump to a surge tank to a high pressure pump to the fuel rails.

I was going to go with the surge tank method but I picked up an early 280Z tank and I will go with that and a pump from Johns cars. I really don't like all the extra hoses, connections, etc. Too many things that could go wrong.

I plan to run new 3/8" fuel and return lines from the fuel rail to the tank and use an Aeromotive adjustable FPR.

Another alternative is to install a Camaro fuel tank like MAS280 did. Then you'll also have an in-tank fuel pump. That's what I'd do if I had to do it again. Tom

If you don't mind losing the spare tire well that is a good alternative. Others on the list have modified their tanks for an intank pump.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=35058

quick 510, get your tank yet? still looking for mine.
No, he hasn't got it quite yet :wink:

I don't personally like the idea of running 2 pumps and 2 tanks. It just seems overly complicated - although it is well documented and widely used.

I was planning on using the baffled tank, but then I priced out pump + FPR = pricey. That's why I chose the Camaro tank. It came with all I needed and was only $75. However, at some point when I have more dollars I do plan to switch to a fuel cell + pump + FPR.

Thanks for all the responses. I will try the 255L pump as a standalone first and forget the dual pump setup unless I have fuel problems.

When it comes to spares I have decided to just forget it. My insurance company (USAA) will pay for a tow and fix anywhere and respond quickly. In my truck I carry a plug kit and battery operated compressor. That setup would easily fit in the spare area.

Dale

Then I only have to clear the 11 3/8" 300ZX rotors with the 240SX caliper back there.

Bill,

My stock 14" tires didn't clear the rear 240SX calipers either. You may want to test fit before you get a surprise some day! :(

The good part is if you lose the spare, you'll get some weight off of the rear end. :-D As I remember, your car was a little rear weight biased.

Tom

Dale,

Know what you mean about USAA - aren't they great? I've been with them over 30 years now and they've always treated me well.

Tom,

Yup, car is a bit heavier in the rear than the front. Losing the spare, the jack, and the inflator can would definitely even things up a bit. It's funny how a lot of guys move the battery to the back to take some off the front and here I am with a V-8 & T56 going the opposite way.

• 11 months later...

Thanks David. I've felt a bit naked without the spare. The Maxima one sounds like an excellent option - as long as the padded well I have now isn't too small for it. Ahh - the side effects of customizing. That will make me even more tail-heavy if I stick a spare back in. Guess that would help with 1/4 track launches but I'm really strting to prok up. If I don't shave my 60' by at least a tenth I probably won't even be able to break into the 12's again.