HybridZ

Welding wastegate bung to the exhaust housing?

auxilary

any cons to welding a vband fitting to the turbo exhaust housing? beast in question

snail2.jpg

And a tial 44mm external wastegate. I don't know if I have room to make a wg runner on the exhaust manifold. Wouldn't hooking up the wg off the hot side be better, generally? that's about as close as one can get to a turbo, right? :)

any cons to welding a vband fitting to the turbo exhaust housing? beast in question

And a tial 44mm external wastegate. I don't know if I have room to make a wg runner on the exhaust manifold. Wouldn't hooking up the wg off the hot side be better' date=' generally? that's about as close as one can get to a turbo, right? :)[/quote']

Not that I can think of - that's how the T64 that I'm currently using is, and how the upgraded turbo will be when I put it in this winter. The V-band is much nicer for serviceability.

Not sure what you mean by the "hot side" :?:

Don't shoot me for having this turbine housing. But I have one of these Bullseye housings with a 35mm wastegate port built into them. I can't understand why they thought this was a great idea. They don't mark their housings with an A/R. Their asking a lot for their housings too, but anyways, I bought mine cheap, and that's the only reason why I picked it up. I called and asked about what the A/R is comparable and they said it was like a .63 (uhhh maybe), and says that mine will fit P trim wheel, will also fit stage 5 T3 wheel. Perhaps my T4 wheel won't have all of the gasses focused on the wheel like it should since it's longer than the T3 wheel?

They offer an extremely expencive bolt on V-band kit:

http://www.bullseye-power.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=32

I'll just make a block off plate for the back like this, and was thinking a V-band would be sweet since I'm not staying with this turbo very long, and I don't want to have to redo the exhaust when I switch. Also the idea of being able to turn it at any slight angle sounds better to me.

Guest importwerks.com

My turbocharger distributor told me that weldling soft metal(aluminum) to hard metal(cast iron) the weld will not last and eventually break. Just thought i'd throw that in there :D

Tony - That first v-band that you posted is a dairy/food-process piping V-band. Not too good for an exhaust with that teflon oring. It's amazing what people will try to pass off on Ebay.

Most turbo builders should be able to do a cast vband on their housings, most big trucks have used V-band for a long time. Cast housing to cast V-band would be the best for welding, but you can also weld stainless or mild steel to cast if you're careful and know what you're doing. Another way would be an adapter.

Aluminum is not a likely choice for anything that is used on the hot side of a turbo.

I used an adapter plate on my standard T3 5 bolt housing to get an external WG set-up and 3inch V-band downpipe.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-021&Category_Code=FLS

I just drilled out the stock WG hole in the adapter plate and TIG'ed a 1.5" ID elbow to the plate and ran it to the external WG. I opened the WG hole in the exhaust housing to 1.5" and ported it to a V inside the housing to split the exhaust flow. It helps the flow to the WG as the airflow doesn't make an abrupt 90 deg turn in the housing.

For your housing, if you are thinking welding a pipe before the turbine, I would use a heavy-wall mild steel weld-ell. But, if you ever want to change housings to a different A/R, you would have to repeat the process. I think that in your situation, I would drop the WG pipe from the stock exhaust manifold. That's a possibility for me for the new GT-series turbo I have. TimO used a spacer between the manifold and exhaust housing with a WG dump welded to it on his GT35 install. I am considering that also, for mine. There won't be any cast-iron welding involved with that method, a plus.

If your housing is a GT unit, this adapter may work for you.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-028&Category_Code=FLS

Hope this helps - Doug

weldling soft metal(aluminum) to hard metal(cast iron)

A physical impossibility.

Actually... well, lets just say that someone mixes up the SS and Al filler rod, and you are welding aluminum... and for some reason you didn't realize it right away, and managed to get it to stick. :roll: Something like that anyway.

Not that it would have any strength at all, but it will actually stick together if your contaminent ends up in such a way that there is still some sort of pool formed that will adhere the 2 pieces of metal. :P

That's what I heard anyway. ;)

Sorry Aux - forget you're working on a beer can, not a normal motor. :-D

Is this what you are thinking about doing?

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/full/FP3065004_full.jpg

That is a custom housing for DSM/GT30, likely wouldn't be near your flow requirements for the rotary. You would probably need a GT35 or GT 40 hot end, depending on power output. Your turbo is what trim on the exhaust? I'm sure that someone casts a housing for T4 wheels with an external WG mount. Somewhere...Or what about reworking a T3 stage 5 housing to fit your wheel and using an adapter plate similar to the one I run? It worked well enough for Scottie on the GNZ, if I remember correctly, he was running a big wheel in a housing like that.

Just throwing out ideas..

Doug

on a rotary, hot/cold ratios are backwards: you want bigger exhaust housing to flow as much as possible because rotaries pump out a ton of gas. Mine's a .84 a/r w/ divided housing, and that's considered small. I chose that ratio because I wanted quicker spooling.

That WG runner is basically the same idea, but I thought about it, and I doubt I can use it because of the divider. I'll just have to use the standard design and run tubes outside

Actually... well, lets just say that someone mixes up the SS and Al filler rod, and you are welding aluminum... and for some reason you didn't realize it right away, and managed to get it to stick.

Just 'cuz two pieces of metal are stuck to each other doesn't mean the parts are welded.

setzepwg.jpg

setzepwg2.jpg

Ideally, this is what I'd want to do. However, I have 1/8th of the clearance he has :)

That is the best design for an external wastegate that I've seen. Straight off the turbo, angle of the wastegate runner is direct flow of exhaust gas. He'll never have boost creep problems as well as surges.

• 4 months later...
Don't shoot me for having this turbine housing. But I have one of these Bullseye housings with a 35mm wastegate port built into them. I can't understand why they thought this was a great idea. They don't mark their housings with an A/R. Their asking a lot for their housings too' date=' but anyways, I bought mine cheap, and that's the only reason why I picked it up. I called and asked about what the A/R is comparable and they said it was like a .63 (uhhh maybe), and says that mine will fit P trim wheel, will also fit stage 5 T3 wheel. Perhaps my T4 wheel won't have all of the gasses focused on the wheel like it should since it's longer than the T3 wheel?

They offer an extremely expencive bolt on V-band kit:

http://www.bullseye-power.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=32

I'll just make a block off plate for the back like this, and was thinking a V-band would be sweet since I'm not staying with this turbo very long, and I don't want to have to redo the exhaust when I switch. Also the idea of being able to turn it at any slight angle sounds better to me.[/quote']

The bullseye turbine housing are physically 7cm^2 which is like .48A/R but flows like 8cm^2 (guess, like .63). I'm running one of those housing with P trim. hope to dyno mine soon but I can tell you it spool good in this housing. On 2L 4 banger, I get full boost (20-23psi) around late 3K rpm early 4K rpm. All with 2 inch turboback with 3 inch exhaust.

I got connection, I can get you the V clamp setup for reduced cost. I've seen the setup with my eyes, and it's a pretty nice setup. I would have used it on my car except I just didn't have enough space to fit .