HybridZ

Man arrested for going 140 mph over limit**UPDATED**

Tim240z

Yup, a buddy of mine goes to Maxton all the time with a team, and they do really well with the ZX12Rs they've had modified, and He tells stories of some of those guys who show up there and run crazy speeds in that 5 miles airfield stretch!

My ZX9R is modified, but not turbo'ed and it will pull HARD above 170MPH with the right air and 65-70 degrees...

I just wish I could sell it... That Thing is more addicting than crack! :lol:

Mike :D

Update on the story:

Motorcyclist can't drive 205, experts say

SPEEDING CYCLIST:The State Patrol claims it clocked a Stillwater man at that speed, but enthusiasts say the bike he was riding can reach only 185 mph without unlikely modifications.

BY HANK SHAW

ST. PAUL PIONEER PRESS

Can motorcyclist Samuel Tilley of Stillwater, Minn., really get his machine to do 205 mph? The State Patrol says Tilley was clocked at that speed last weekend while driving his 2003 Honda RC51 sport motorcycle on a stretch of U.S. 61 near Wabasha.

He faces misdemeanor charges of speeding, reckless driving and riding without a motorcycle license.

After the Pioneer Press first reported the details of Tilley's citation, the nation's media picked up the story and, within hours, the motorcycle racing world began buzzing about whether Tilley could have reached such a record-breaking velocity.

There are more than a few skeptics.

"Theoretically, it could happen -- anything is possible -- but I don't believe it," said John Ulrich, editor of Roadracing World, a magazine that covers sport bike racing. "Guys who want to break speed records and go over 200 mph have to go to great lengths to get there."

Ulrich is a leader in a chorus of motorcycle aficionados who doubt the State Patrol's timing methods.

They note that if the State Patrol pilot who timed Tilley were off by half a second -- which critics say is possible given variables such as the altitude, speed and angle of approach of his Cessna -- it drops Tilley's speed to about 185 mph.

This still would be the unofficial state record for the fastest speeding ticket, and everyone agrees a Honda RC51 can hit that speed. But it's not the double C-note.

The State Patrol is sticking to its guns -- and stopwatch. Spokesman Kevin Smith said it's possible for Tilley's bike to go that fast and noted the pilot who timed Tilley has more than two decades of experience on patrol.

"What we have is what we have," Smith said. "That is the number he came up with, and there's really no going back on it. We have no reason to believe he's wrong."

Smith suggested that if Tilley were to plead his case down, it wouldn't help him beat the reckless driving charge. "Let's say he was going 186 -- that's still 121 mph over the speed limit. I don't see the relevance."

Enthusiasts of sleek, colorful sport bikes designed for track racing and made famous by movies such as "Torque" and "Faster" say the relevance is the magic number -- 200.

Two hundred mph is difficult to comprehend, and critics say the misplaced fear of zooming "crotch rockets" blasting by mom's minivan could lead opportunistic politicians to try to place restrictions on the bikes.

"They're making it like these are missiles going down the road," said Jason Farrell, a sport bike racer who runs 2 Wheel Authority, a performance shop in Oshkosh, Wis. "This gives sport bikers a bad name. These bikes are fast enough as it is. We're not looking for some government official to put speed limit (restrictors) on them."

As it is, bike experts say that most unmodified sport bikes top out at about 185 mph because of limits with their fuel injectors. To get an RC51 up to 200 mph, they say, the owner would have to change the bike's transmission, fuel injectors and gears -- and might have to add a supercharger or pumpnitrous oxide or methane into the fuel system. All of these changes are possible but seriously expensive.

And anyone with those kinds of modifications probably wouldn't tool around southern Minnesota withnitrous or jet fuel in his bike, they say.

"It's just not something that some dude can roll out of his garage and go for a ride and do," Ulrich said. "A hundred fifty? No problem. Two hundred? Big problem."

Tilley, who did not return a call seeking comment Thursday, will get a chance to plead his case in Wabasha County District Court on Oct. 25.

Update on the story:

As it is' date=' bike experts say that most unmodified sport bikes top out at about 185 mph because of limits with their fuel injectors. To get an RC51 up to 200 mph, they say, the owner would have to change the bike's transmission, fuel injectors and gears -- and might have to add a supercharger or pumpnitrous oxide or methane into the fuel system. All of these changes are possible but seriously expensive.

And anyone with those kinds of modifications probably wouldn't tool around southern Minnesota withnitrous or jet fuel in his bike, they say.

"It's just not something that some dude can roll out of his garage and go for a ride and do," Ulrich said. "A hundred fifty? No problem. Two hundred? Big problem."

[/quote']

I love 'Media Experts' Uhh- I'm 100% sure a bike engine wouldn't run very long on 'jet fuel' - diesels like it though...

Personally, I think Southern Minn. would be a perfect place to open up your RC51.

"Seriously expensive" Mods - The high-end intercooled turbo kits for the 'Busa are more expensive than the bike. But - still cheaper than a dog-slow Harley.

Doug

Guest freedomfighter

Dito that... sounds like a great place to open her up! I do have a hard time believing an RC51 would do 200. I can't wait to hear what this guy, Tilley has to say. Does anyone know if you could get off if they could somehow prove the speed was not possible. Seems to me, if they cite you for 205 and it can be proven that it wasn't possible... wouldn't that mean the ticket was bogus? :?:

Dito that... sounds like a great place to open her up! I do have a hard time believing an RC51 would do 200. I can't wait to hear what this guy, Tilley has to say. Does anyone know if you could get off if they could somehow prove the speed was not possible. Seems to me, if they cite you for 205 and it can be proven that it wasn't possible... wouldn't that mean the ticket was bogus? :?:

You know, that might be true, I got out of a ticket given by aircraft in CA because they clocked me at 82 and I argued that the car wouldn't go over 76 because of misbalancing on the wheels made it shudder like mad. Got dismissed. And yes, the wheels really were misbalanced :)

You know, if this pilot is off with his timing for this Samuel Tilley, how many tickets has he given to people that weren't going the speed that he "clocked" them at in the last 20 years? That's probably why the police are sticking to thier guns with this one. :roll:

!M!

Busa doing 340k ...That would be 340X.62=210.8MPH

http://www.linienmc.dk/mc-uheld/sep01/Demon_Haya.mov

turbo Busa...But the speedo is out of veiw.

http://www.linienmc.dk/mc-uheld/jan12/turbo_busa.mpg

Finaly this Sweed is just plain fuct. But 299X.62=184and changeMPH on a GSX-R 1000

http://www.linienmc.dk/mc-uheld/okt15/GhostTrailer.mov

And again.

http://www.linienmc.dk/mc-uheld/2003%20feb/13mb_336kmh_playing_with_swedish_police.mpeg

Guest freedomfighter
Busa doing 340k ...That would be 340X.62=210.8MPH

http://www.linienmc.dk/mc-uheld/sep01/Demon_Haya.mov

turbo Busa...But the speedo is out of veiw.

http://www.linienmc.dk/mc-uheld/jan12/turbo_busa.mpg

Finaly this Sweed is just plain fuct. But 299X.62=184and changeMPH on a GSX-R 1000

http://www.linienmc.dk/mc-uheld/okt15/GhostTrailer.mov

And again.

http://www.linienmc.dk/mc-uheld/2003%20feb/13mb_336kmh_playing_with_swedish_police.mpeg

Do you think there's any chance the speedo is rigged? On the first video, when you look at the lines in the road, the overpasses and the semi... it doesn't look that fast. I've blown by overpasses and semis doin' 185... and it looked faster. I'll admit, my view could have been distorted... there's alot of adreniline pumpin' at that point.

Thanks for the videos, though... they kick ass! :shock:

Now the GSX-R1000... that's what I call the look of SPEEEED! :shock:

I've blown by overpasses and semis doin' 185... and it looked faster. I'll admit' date=' my view could have been distorted... there's alot of adreniline pumpin' at that point.[/quote']

I’ll have to agree with you on all points.

I have had my Z up to 155…I just can’t imagine being out in the breeze while doing it!

i have run 140 on my fz1-that was enough.i ran a speedo 145 in my z.its corrected to +2 mph on a chassis dyno.but i really liked to run 110 mph in my 18' boat.no worrys about cops.since the boat had a tunnel bottem you are really flying.200+ on a public road is not my game.unless the road is closed.i am going to go out and drag race a busa with my fz1.the busa is stock with a 6'4" 350 lb rider.my bike has had the carbs rejetted with a slip-on muffler.i weigh 170.should be interesting.this will be run on an abandoned airstrip.

"

What we have is what we have," Smith said. "That is the number he came up with, and there's really no going back on it. We have no reason to believe he's wrong."

Now when was the last time Law Enforcement admitted that there was even a scintilla of question in their interpretation of the events.

Smith suggested that if Tilley were to plead his case down, it wouldn't help him beat the reckless driving charge. "Let's say he was going 186 -- that's still 121 mph over the speed limit. I don't see the relevance."

It would be nice to hear Smith say, "Yeah, there could be question of did he do 205 or did he do 185, or did he do somewhere in between. It really doesn't matter as he needs to be removed from the roads for a while, and we can make 185 stick!. Besides, if I don't get my "catch" over 200mph, I've lost my bragging rights, and that that's what really hurts."

Now that's a response I could respect! :D