HybridZ

Turbo Swap Update

Sean73

normal_engine_ds%7E1.jpg

normal_engine_ps2.jpg

Here's where I am at so far. 400 miles on this setup. Breaking it in at 7-10 psi.

L28ET F54/P90, Stock Rebuild

P79 flattop pistons (8.8:1 CR)

Deves Rings

Clevite Bearings

Fel-Pro Headgasket

T3/T04E TurboCharger

57 Trim

.63 A/R Exhaust; clipped turbine, .50 A/R Compressor

Oil & Water cooled through teflon stainless lin

es.

Manual Boost Controller

Saab Viggen Bosch BOV

NPR Intercooler

2.25" mandrel plumbing, ceramic coated

Hosetechniques Silicon Connectors

T-Bolt clamps

Engine Management

1984 300ZX (Z31) Turbo ECCS

Z31 Harness modified for S30 body

Z31 CAS, Chopper Wheel, MAF

Ignition

Crane PS60 Coil

NGK BPR7ES-11 (one step colder) spark plugs gap .040

Custom Taylor spark plug wires

Intake

Custom 3" Intake Plumbing

Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel

Apexi Cone filter

BOV recirculated

modified N42 Non-EGR Intake Manifold

Weber 60mm Throttle Body

Relocated PCV valve

Relocated Air Regulator

Fuel

OEM Z31 Turbo injectors; bench flow tested

OEM 280ZXT Fuel Rail

Mallory low pressure fuel pump (@ tank)

Bosch high pressure fuel pump (@ fuel rail)

Modified 240Z fuel tank w/ 3/8" feed and Custom Surge Tank

Bosch Adjustable FPR

Exhaust

Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifold

2.5" Custom down pipe, ceramic coated

3" Mandrel bent exhaust

Summit stainless steel muffler

Cooling

Griffen 24x19 Aluminum Radiator

Perma-Cool 16" electric fan

Custom thermostatic fan controls

Suspension

Arizona Z-Car Sport Springs 180/200

Boge Turbo Struts

All polyurethane bushings

Drivetrain

5 speed transmission

RPS Max-Series 2400 lb clutch

3.7 R200 Differential; Viscous LSD planned

Planned: 300ZX CV halfshafts

Brakes

Planned: 300ZX vented rotors & Toyota 4x4 calipers (front)

Planned: MSA rear disk brake kit

Electrical

300ZX Turbo 70 amp Alternator

Interior

Autometer Boost & Air/Fuel

Fully functioning R12 Air Conditioning

New seat upholstery and seat foam

New carpet

OEM gauge cluster

OEM Clock converted to Quartz movement

More pics in my gallery:

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=89

Sean

73 240Z Turbo

I thought non turbo pistons, ie flat-tops, had less metal between the top of the piston and the top of the first ring making them more easily damaged with detonation. Was looking at doing the same thing so I am very curious how your setup hold up.

Greg '77 280Z

I thought non turbo pistons' date=' ie flat-tops, had less metal between the top of the piston and the top of the first ring making them more easily damaged with detonation. Was looking at doing the same thing so I am very curious how your setup hold up.

Greg '77 280Z[/quote']

No, that's a myth, i think the P79 flattops (81-83 280ZX) are fine for turbo duty. I don't see any major physical differences between these and turbo pistons, except for the dish, of course.

turbo_vs_na_piston.jpg

The early 280Z NA pistons with dish are the weak ones.

Umm, last time I had both side to side like that there was a noticeable difference in the thickness of the piston below the first ring... the turbo one had an extra mm of depth there. I think either the picture isn't showing it right, or you have 2 NA dished pistons there. (or 2 turbo pistons)

Umm, last time I had both side to side like that there was a noticeable difference in the thickness of the piston below the first ring... the turbo one had an extra mm of depth there. I think either the picture isn't showing it right, or you have 2 NA dished pistons there. (or 2 turbo pistons)

Well I took the picture myself, and it is definitely comparing an 81-83 NA piston and a 81-83 Turbo piston. I removed these myself from the junkyard. I wish I would have shown the piston tops. If you look closely, indeed, the pistons are slightly different. You can see that the turbo piston has a stouter pin, and the pin height is lower for the turbo piston. (look how the skirts don't line up). This is because the P79 flattop piston has a little bit of deck height.

A dished 280Z NA piston would clearly show thicker rings, and thinner ring lands when compared to these two pistons. Anyone have a picture?

So, yes, the pistons are different. But I don't see why one piston would be physically stronger than the other if subjected to the same amount of abuse. The rings are the same size, and the ring lands are the same size. The deck height of the P79 piston may cause some extra heat, but I'm not losing sleep over it. I've run 10 psi in 105 degree heat, w/ no detonation on 91 Octane.

I have to be a little more cautious with boost compared to a 7.4:1 CR motor, but I think my boost limitations are governed by the ECCS & fuel injectors, and not the CR.

Sean

73 240Z Turbo

Ah, somehow I missed the fact we were comparing a flattop to a turbo piston, and not a dished piston to a turbo piston. The NA dished piston and turbo piston DO have different thicknessess in the upper ring land. Obviously the flattop NA and turbo don't differ so much. ;)