HybridZ

Car still runs with fuel pump disconnected

Thumper

Well I just picked up this 83' 280zx turbo. It sat for 2 yrs. I did the basic tuneup spark plugs, wires, cap rotor, thermostat, oil, tranny, o2, etc... The problem is when I turn off the car and try to restart it the car won't start. I look at the plugs and they are soaked so the car is getting floaded. If I wait all night long the next morning it will start right up. I instaleled a fpr with gauge and it is right at 30 psi at idle and 37 at full throttle. When I turn off the car the psi will go down to 20 psi in about an hour. The weird thing is that I unplugged the fuel pump and the car keeps running. It takes 30 seconds or so to die. Then when it does die, without hooking up the fuel pump, I can start it again and it will idle for 30 seconds again. If I give any throttle during this time it dies. The fpr gauge reads 0 psi the whole time this is going on. I will be taking off the fuel rail to make sure the injectors are not leaking but I doubt it since the fuel pressure stays up for so long. Also there is no other fuel pump or fuel lines running to my engine. Thanks for you time and input.

Probably stays running b/c there is pressure in the tank. Pull the gas cap off and see if it does the same thing. Pull a fuel line off on a hot day and see what it does. After a little while the pressure in the tank builds up and pushes the fuel through the lines. Probably enough flowing to keep it running for a while but not enough to feed the motor when you rev. This has nothing to do with your problem with the car not restarting but may answer your question as to why it still runs with the fuel pump unhooked.

JT

Ok heres an update. The car when cold will run intill it fully heats up 6-8 minutes idleing. Also it will run with all the fuel lines disconected from the fuel rail. It will not run if the injector caps are unplugged. There was no fuel going to or from that fuel rail I swear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.