HybridZ

Need engine bays pics with Herculiner, Rhinoliner, etc....

80LS1T

I have been thinking about not painting my engine bay the same as the color that will be used for the whole car. Since I painted the engine bay before I put the new motor/tranny in I know that I dont like it. I liked it at first but after having to wrench on engine a few times I know that the paint chips way to easy and I want to be able to touch up spots when needed. I like the looks of the bedliners when they are in truck beds, so I figured something like that will suit my needs.

I just need some pics of some of the commonly used liners or products of similar quality. It must be resistance to gas, oil, brake fluid, etc. I know Herculiner says it is but is Rhinoliner?

Thanks,

Guy

ever slip your knuckles on a spray on bed liner...some are sharp, some are rubbery...they all hurt bad! Why not just spray the engine bay with a more durable clear like dupomts 3480s(used to clearcoat imron 6000). I've seen a litof trucks come into my shop after we've refinished them with 300,000 plus miles on a paint job and they still look good.

Also, not sure about hurculiner, but rhinoliner isn't for the do it yourselfer. It uses special heated spray equiment if I remember correctly. Not cheap either.

James

Yeah I havent even seen the Rhinoliner for sale for the general public but I can get it at work because we put it in truck beds.

The Herculiner is roll on / brush on liner. I might buy a small can(1quart) and test it out. If I dont like it, its only $25 out the window! :lol:

I could have sworn someone has used Herculiner on this board for somethiing? I'll try searching again for some pics...

Guy

Guy,

Don't go over that beautiful paint! This is just my opinion, but when I look at a vehicles engine bay and see scratches or nicks, I see a person that does the work themselves. I also think it gives the vehicle character :wink:Don't do it :D

!M!

Yeah I know Mat, it does look nice. Im still on the fence on this one? I have found a few pics of the Herculiner and they dont look bad either. But the nice paint looks nice too. I just hate the thought of chipping it and scratching it all to hell!

I dont know..........Im so confused! LOL :oops:

Guy

Not trying to sway you in one direction or another, but when you look at a engine swap in any vehicle, what do you see half the time? People spend the time to clean the engine bay, then spray paint it black. You however, spent the time to paint it body color. Think about that.

!M!

lots and lots of coats? :P

maybe clearcoats?

bedliner would be cool, but they are right.. it being the color of the car shows more effort and a lot more character to the car. if its a total race car then bedliner is fine, otherwise i would use the cars paint.

yah, i don't know =)

I know this might come across as "ANAL",but everytime I'm going to be working in my engine bay,I use a an insulated soft (well stored) baby blanket held in place with large strong magnets (rare earth)! :shock:

I know,I know..... :roll: seems like overkill,but when you've spent the countless hours it takes to prep,modify and prime and base/Clear that area of the car....YOU ONLY WANT TO DO IT ONCE ! :!:

It's worked for me for years and I do it religously.I also lay a folded large towel on or near the area where I can lay (or drop) my sockets or wrenches quickly and blindly.

RAISE THE BAR....you won't be sorry !

.............Vincenormal_Vince%27s%2073%27%20Turbo%20engine%20bay%201997%7E0.jpg

Guest 305240

When you mentioned a tough paint, it made me think of the city utility trucks I worked on in Fla. When I started there, all of the trucks were badly scratched from going into the orange groves. Some scratched down to bare metal. I painted them all with Imron (polyurithane) and added the hardner. After keeping the truck hostage for 2 days, I let them take it out. No more scratches. My boss screamed at me for spending the money for the paint, but in the 5 years I worked there, I never had to paint another one.