HybridZ

280ZX -> 350Z?

Gollum

Ok, i just got started with my own Z project (a tree hit me, remember?) and i've been thinking about possible future engine swaps.

I'm thinking about 6 years down the road, when i'm out of college and have a career and a house with a garage, the 350Z should be a pretty cheep car used. Right around 10-15 i'd imagine for one of the first years. Maybe even less for one with some fender benders.

Ok, so do you think i could swap over almos everything? Obviouslly somethings wouldn't fit. But would the rear differencial fit? And do you think the rotors and brakes would transfer? There are some very likable aspects of this swap 1) smogable, i've checked it with a california state ref, he says you can do it leagally 2) variable valve timing, and other great features 3) and engine capable of a solid reliable 250 RWHP that could last well over 150k 4) new brakes and all the tech that comes with it 5)limited slip differencia. would come in handy at the circut 6) transfer the killer stereo while you're at it 7) 6 speed manual :drool: 8 ) Tons of other killer features that the 350 has

Anyways, voice your opinion. How much do you think would transfer and do you think it's a good idea?

I think with enough time and money.. and thought, you could 'transplant' just about evrything to a zx platform.. EVRYthing would have to be custom fab'd.. but it would be do-able for sure IMO.. Basicaly, you could cut up the 350Z... :shock: and piece it into the zx.. Like the whole front clip; firewall forward.. attach the zx body metal to it.. rear 'frame' section w/diff and suspension and brakes.. ect.. Oh yah.. why not?!? :-D

hmm, i never thought about that. I guess if you're looing for it to be "all that it can be" you would want to use as much as the 350 chassis that you could.

Although... i think the real problem occurs when dealing with the fact the the 350 is OBD2. Wich sucks to deal with, but oh well.

If you wanted to leave the ZX chassis intact then i think the suspention wouldn't really fit.

I think i've already discarded this idea. I'll post onther idea soon. And it will also be california smog leagal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest capeman
Sounds kind of like the 240Z front end I've seen put on the 240SX. Newer car, older styling.

What you should do is use an AWD platform. Turbo six, AWD 280ZX would be great.

links to pics of this 240sx?

Al

though... i think the real problem occurs when dealing with the fact the the 350 is OBD2. Wich sucks to deal with, but oh well.

New cars are way (meaning years) beyond OBD2. Try LEV Bin2. You ain't dealing with that at all, you just let it be and enjoy the horsepower you have until you can upgrade with some serious multi-thousand dollar turbo stuff. You do get 300 to 307 horsepower and 260 to 274 ft. lbs. of torque. so it ain't bad, especially if you start adding lightness.

Guest 280ZForce

the 350z engine has been put into an s30, along w/ the 6 speed trans and also the whole dash! I believe the brakes and alot of other stuff as well.

rated at 287 hp, but they have been dyno'd right around 236 whp. Tq, i forget.