HybridZ

LS1 guys.. need some help understanding the cooling system.

Ok, if you've read my other posts, you know I'm having an overheating problem. I know my coolant system has some air in it and it also doesn't have any relief or overflow components. This causes my hoses to collapse when the engine is turned off making it very hard for my engine to cool down.

I'm installing new coolflex hoses, a 160' thermostat, and an overflow catch can... but I need some help understanding the overflow and how I would go about installing this component.

The LS1 has the hose that goes to the Thottle body... how is that incorporated into the cooling system?

Right now my system is set up as follows:

The obvious: Upper rad hose to upper rad waterpipe

- Lower rad hose to lower rad waterpipe

and

- Radiator overflow outlet connected to throttle body

- the heater hoses are both blocked off seperately

I know that is a VERY inefficient way to have the coolant running. :roll:

I have a 'Be Cool' radiator and looked at the 'recovery' cans they sell. They are sealed with 1 inlet & 1 outlet. Would one of those alleviate the pressure problem I am having? How would the plumbing be connected to get it to work?

I want to find a nice resivoir which I can open and check my coolant levels and whatnot. What kind would you suggest?

Basically, I need to know what kind of relief is best... a sealed recovery tank, or your standard overflow resivoir that can be opened and be used to refill the coolant system. Also.. how would one of these tanks be correctly hooked up to get the pressure relief I need. I know you guys have the answers... this is all basic coolant plumbing, but I am VERY new to it. :oops:

THANKS,

-Vann

Hey Vann!!

I can key in on this one and sure others will follow!!!

#1 and main one is you don't want your T.B. connected to your rad overflow!

Get rid of the coolant lines to your T.B. and put vac plugs on them. Looks nicier. You want to keep the intake air cool, not warm it up! Connect your radiator overflow tube to your catch tank.

#2 Contact JTR and get a "T" and splice it in to your upper hose. Connect the outlet of the "T" to the rail under your intake. (where the other T.B. hose was connected). Mike Knell supplied mine he will know whitch one you will need.

#3 After all this is done... Pull off upper hose at radiator and fill up motor with Dexcool and distilled water at a 50/50 mix. Then fill radiator. LS1 uses Dexcool and I would stick with it. If the car has green coolant.. Flush until clear.

#4 As for your 160 t-stat. Acording to MAS280 the 2 Hypertec ones he tried didn't work.(car still ran hot). I followed his advice and removed mine. I would almost think with a 240 or 280 would flow more air through the grill than a 300.

JOEY :D

One more I almost forgot..

I don't know what Coolflex hoses are... If they are those "universal flex hoses"(the ribbed ones.. restrict flow). Don't use them. Go to your local parts house and match up a molded hose or hoses. Best bet is Gates or Goodyear.

JOEY

I'm installing new coolflex hoses, a 160' thermostat, and an overflow catch can... but I need some help understanding the overflow and how I would go about installing this component.

How stuff works has an excelent little animation about the catch can (overflow, piss tank, whatever you wanna call it)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm

JTR just started making radiator hose tees for the LS1 engine vent tube.

The size that should work best is 1-5/16" x 5/16"

The tees are shown on this link, but the page has not been

updated to show the 1-5/16" x 5/16" size.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_TPI-TBI_Brass-Tees.html

We also have brass hose splicers in various sizes so that molded hoses can be cut and spliced together for a good fit. LT1 and LS1 engines normally use 1-5/16" hoses. These sizes are not shown on the webpage, but we now carry them.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_TPI-TBI_HoseSplice.html

Yup,

Overflow bottle is a must. Each time my radiator was drained I ended up doing the run it a while to get it hot, let it cool, and add coolant. It usually only took 2-3 cycles to get the system completely filled.

Joey - FWIW - I've been running regular antifreeze in my LS1 for over 12,000 miles now and the system works great. Dexcool is just supposed to be more environmentally friendly than ethylene glycol. Well - it won't kill the dog if he drinks it anyway. :roll:

Unless it gets really cold where you are, use a 25%/75% coolant/water ratio. This will help cooling ......

hehehe... cold??? what does that mean? :wink: I live in Houston where it's always a comfortable ( :roll: ) 90 degrees with a totally bareable ( :roll: ) 100% humidity! :ugg:

Thanks for the ratio tips.. I'll definately take that into account when filling my system up tomorrow!

I've got my nice new hoses, my new thermostat and I'll be heading out to buy my overflow catch tomorrow morning. I'll have to get a few 1 5/16" lines to connect the catch as well. I'll be sure to post if I run into any trouble.. but hopefully I can manage to solve the problem with minimal fuss. :)

Is there any recommended way that I drain my coolant? Like.. into a bucket if possible or something along the lines of that?

Thanks again guys.. y'all are awesome! :)

-Vann