HybridZ

3.1 KAPUT!

Dan Baldwin

You P-head guys will get a laugh out of this, I think I detonated my motor to death :x

Like the 'tard that I am, I've been running it with fuel pressure issues for quite a while now (up, down, 0psi, 7psi), replacing fuel filters (at the tank, prior to fuel pump) ALL the time (once or twice a day at the track). Whenever it decides to not bump up to at least 2.5psi at the gauge under the hood.

Anyhoo, tonight I was scrubbing in a new set of Hoosiers on the highway, ~85mph, and a Sentra SE-R pulls alongside, obviously interested in the Z. So I drop to third and gun it. All is well initially, but the throttle seemed to stick (stupid floormat) for the shift into 4th. Then it just seemed to be running really ragged. Lost power. Oil pressure fine, no clanking, just no power and runnin pretty rough. Limped back to work, pulled car in the shop. Plug 4 ceramic busted, piston 1 has a fricking field of small craters on it. I'm guessing one piston has a hole in it (eww). Will further survey damage tomorrow.

I hafta get home now (always keep one motorcycle escape vehicle at work). 35 mile ride. Must get there and make meself a margarita or three to ease the pain.

Am I bummed? Yes. No track glory this weekend I guess.

I have but one thing to say: FOOK.

Guest 240ZZ4

^^ it was cool he was racing a civc kiddie, and well he hit the Noz (2nd time ever he calims) and gave it a 75 shot, and all we heard was BOOM ^^ coolest sound ever ^^

Ironically, I'm going to say that sounds like a fuel issue, not a P or N head issue.

Sorry to hear about it, but hey, maybe you can get a real head on there for the next time and test out some of my "unproven" theories. :D (the dig had to be in there somewhere didn't it?)

well, with this whole quench thing flying around, thought Id toss in my 2 cents.... again. so, that would put me at about 120834234 cents now. may as well go maxima N47 now. :D

on a side note, someone noted that you dont see full benefits of quench unless you have less than .040" of clearance between the flat top piston and the quench chamber, so with that being said, If I have a flat top block and a FelPro head gasket (.8mm compressed height) I should reap the rewards, correct? seeing as how that puts me at .034" between teh top of the pistons and the head. hrmmm....

Mack

You know, if you didn't hear the detonation when the thing was in full melt down, how do you know it hasn't been detonating before this?

I'm sure it has been. I've had the fuel delivery issue for well over a year now, and have done quite a few track days with the issue. I stupidly hoped whatever crud was in the tank would clear out. He who lives on hope...

FWIW, at the time of the engine rebuild last year there was ZERO evidence of detonation, the pistons were pristine aside from some carbon buildup. Pistons that had seen ~3 years at ~10.35:1 with the stock cam, another ~2 years at the same CR with a 290/.503" cam, and another year and a half at 10.74:1 with the Sunbelt ~310/.550" cam.

Latest word, fab/shop/manufacturing guy here at work says it doesn't necessarily look like detonation to him, what's visible through the plugs and looking at the plugs themselves.

More to come...

Just did a compression test, all 6 between 190 and 215. Cleaned and gapped an old set of plugs and gave 'er a try. And the freaking starter wouldn't stop spinning. Even after I turned off the key. Guess I need a new solenoid and/or starter. SHITE. Home I go again. It's a bitch to have to work on the job job during the day while the car is just back in the shop desperately in need of some attention. I should work closer to home...