HybridZ

Going to 1/4 mile track thursday night

Ivan280zt

So tomorow is last Rsd of the year (street racing on track) and since its my day off and i always go to watch the event i figured i will run my Z while i am up there. Car felt very strong for the past few days so i am itching very bad to get some new times. Last time i ran it it did 13.5 at 103.5mph and since then i upgraded with lsd rear end, Thagards intake manifold, and got the medium size greddy intercooler. From butt dyno car feels like some very very low 13's and thats what i am shooting for. This will be still done on t-3 with 10psi but just to be safe i will add some race gas because i will be pounding it very hard (that if the car makes it to the track in one piece :D ). I will update on Friday so wish me luck guys.

Ivan

Well all together it was not bad night. I did manage to go 13.3 but for some reason the car did not feel good like other night. My mph did increase to 104 but i have to hook my lm-1 to laptop to see what kind of air fuel i was getting. I did however run 03 cobra that dynoed 405whp got him out of the hole pulled on him all the way down he did catch up on the end but i crossed line first :D . Also ran buddy of mine in his 350whp talon he gave me three and kick but also he never caught up :twisted: . Then there was this s-14 silvia lets just say by middle of third i let off and he never even came close lol. I dont know but for some reason car just didnt feel right my boost gauge was showing 12psi (which never happend before even at 35deg. weateher) which does not make sense because i have 10psi spring in my deltagate even at those 12psi my mph did not change. I ran 13.5 without i/c and lsd at 10psi so something is off for sure. I will however go to the route 66 next thursday and see if i can get some 13.1's.

Matt,

I belive garrett left your 1/4" and alen wrench fittin in my car when he was putting wideband on his car so i guess we are just gonna have to kill him at least thats an easy solution :malebitchslap: lol.

On the side note i cant even remember how many people came to me just to tell me how much they liked the car from teenagers to guys in their 60's that alone made the whole trip worthed and there was some girl that wanted to take picture with me next to my car so off course i had to obey lol.

Ivan

Well, Well, Well . . .

All that hooplah for nothing I guess?! Guess who still rules the streets of Chicago in their 12.7 sec beast of a Z car?!!!!!! Thats right! I DO!

haha. Just kidding Ivo! Sorry I couldn't be there, Maybe if you had let me drive it you woulda had more luck. Anyways with the air/fuel your car is at we should be able to up the boost a little and still be safe, as long as your clutch hangs in there. We'll get some 12's outta that car before winter hits!!

In other news . . . my car is on jackstands awaiting a new T-5, clutchmasters stage 4 and Flywheel for my trip down south at the end of the month. Yep, you heard right Aabamans(?) and Floridians! Me and my Drag Radials are comin your way!

Guest bastaad525

What air fuel ratio do you run usually?

What air fuel ratio did your LM-1 record during the runs?

Just curious :D Been taking a BIG interest in a/f ratios and such with turbo Z's as of late.

Well before this trip i was getting 13.5 on interstate, mid 14's in traffic and when i would get on it it would go from about 12.2 at low rpm then as rpm's start going up a/f starts falling down nice and steady by the time i hit 6k its usually about 11-0. When i get home tonight i will see what kind of a/f i was getting on those passes but i do have feeling that something is slightlly off :roll: .

Ivan

I just checked my datalog on wideband and for some reason with mix of race gas my a/f was dipping in 10-5 and on occasion in high 9's so i took care of that last night and its nice and flat 11-6 11-7 all the way to redline. I also noticed that my t/body is opening about 95% so i will have to take care of that. This next sunday its last Import Wars of season so me and Garrett will be both running our z's and if i am not happy i will have my boost controler handy :twisted: .

Ivan

Guest bastaad525

okay was I just imagining things or what. Not long ago I seem to remember everyone recommending to me to try to get a/f ratios into the mid 12's at WOT/full boost. I seem to specifically remember being told that about 12.7:1 was ideal. Now I look around and everyone is running much richer than this. I'm gonna start digging and see if I can't find the threads where 12.7 was the recommended afr.... seems the trend changed and I missed it :D

Guest bastaad525

Yeah the trend defianately seems to have changed... I think 11.5:1 is way too rich, 91 octane or not. Lots of power loss there, and really I still see no evidence that you can't run leaner and not be safe....

Guest bastaad525

yeah you're telling me

I wish I could find the posts where guys were saying to get around 12.5:1. Doesn't anyone remember telling me this?

This was right before I dynoed last. I think it was maybe Jersey or Sleeper Z but I'm not sure. Well anyways what about my post right below this one "More a/f ratio madness!!" there's an example of someone running leaner than 11's on a high power high boost setup on pump gas and having no problems. Mid 13:1 afr at 22psi and EGT's stayed well within check up to 7000rpm!

If anything leaner than 11.5:1 is so unsafe how did I get away with running 13.5:1 all day every day for a year, on 91 octane with no intercooler at 10psi, and when I finally pulled the head due to a misaligned head gasket (SOMEONE decided it was okay to install the head with a missing alignment dowel) there was no sign for the engine being any worse off for it.