HybridZ

Do you think I have a blown head gasket??

I pulled the motor/tranny out to put in the new stall converter . Since I had the motor out I figured I would stop a few of the leaks and put fresh gaskets on. Well, when I pulled the intake mainfold off there was a few pockets of foamy oil.

I smelled the fuild and it didnt smell like coolant to me . Then I pulled the valve covers off and there is whiteish brown foam all over the tops of the valve covers? Then I drained the oil and nothing looked like coolant? Do you think maybe I have a head gaskets that is weeping ? Anyone have any ideas???

It could be a head gasket, but most likely you are seeing condensation. Do you start and stop the engine without getting it up to operating temp? Are you running a 160 degree thermostat? Getting the oil up to 212 deg F (and subsequently the entire assembly) will keep the engine condensation free. That is what "sludges" a motor up and why short trips are worse for an engine than long trips. Get an oil temp gauge and try and get the temp of the oil above waters boiling point everytime you run it. If you are just jockeying it around the driveway, this can burn lots of gas and foul lots of plugs. bonk.gif But those are reasonably easy to cure problems...

If not condensation then leaky intake manifold is more likely than head gasket IME.

Guest Anonymous

Usually on a very small gasket leak, you will find small almost microscopic water bubbles on top of the oil.If you are in a part of Texas that is cold and moist running a low temp thermostat and not warming the car as mentioned..vapor pus accumulates. My old Z had a microscopic leak for years but the water was burned off with no "pus" residue in the oil or in the engine. The radiator without leaks had to be replenished on a regular basis.. Been losing coolant?

Thanks guys, I think Mike hit the nail on the head. For the last couple of months the car has been sitting and I have just been starting it every 3 to 4 days. Sometimes to operating temp sometimes and sometimes not. Also it looks like it had a small intake manifold leak as well. Like I said the oil in the pan looked fine. I am going to retorque the heads and replace the intake gaskets. I will see if that solves it.