HybridZ

How do cars with skinny tires get around?

ZR8ED

I mean really?

I have fixed the diff mount in my 280.

15psi with my t3/t4 hybrid = A Smoking pair of 315's :2thumbs:

Roll into it in 1st second or even third 15 psi comes and the tires go up in smoke, and the car gets a bit sideways. YEEEHAAWWW!!! :shock:

Car is running fine.. the front stock mount has less than 1K on it, and looks like godzilla took a bite out of it.

Now running my old solid SS mount.

Mucho happy at the moment!

I feel good WAAHH!! duh na na na na na na na nuh

Bernardd: I never did find out why.. makes me nervous a bit. I bought a timing light so I can keep tabs on it.. maybe it was a fluke.

Slownrusty: The mount is brand new from Nissan. It failed the first time I rolled on to the throttle in first gear at 15 psi. BANG! :shock:

Drax240z: I am running 315/35/17 Yokohama AVS sports. and an LSD with a 3.7.

I just don't know how the high horsepower crowd can get their z's around? I don't know what a VG makes for torque with 370injectors and 15 psi on an i/c'd t3/t4 turbo. More than 300 RWHP???? ??

Any ideas?

BTW no snow here, so I'm gonna keep driving till I see some white stuff...Or I get my 280zx running.. :oops:

Some of the straightline traction problems might have to do with tire you are using, i.e., a 17" tire with little sidewall and what it has is super stiff. Willing to bet a 235/60-15 DR would have better grip under that specific circumstance. Anyway, I know exactly what you are experiencing and why my rear tire is the biggest Nitto DR I can fit. It is also why I preach to those who dream about 400-700hp in a street Z that they have no idea what they are getting into. Just need to undertstand it and respect it. You simply do not instictively hit the throttle, you plan and modulate it unless you think smoking tires and going sideways is cool. trust me, it is not, but then again I am an old fart :D

"For some reason I can't modulate this toggle switch" :P

If it is an issue though, you might try making your throttle a little more progressive.

315's, LSD, AVS sports... I can only imagine that type of grip!

205's, open, crappy tires... welcome to my traction limited world. ;)

Some kind of conspiracy going on here... since when do we get the white stuff before you guys? ;)

I'm not complaining about the traction. It was just funny how I could build some boost and spin the tires.

The car is very streetable. It was just funny how in my N/A days, I'd have to downshift and smash the throttle to chirp the tires going through the gears.

Now in the first three gears, I can just be rolling along, and smoothly go WOT, the car starts to cause my eyeballs to sink towards the back of my head as the boost comes up, and as it hits 15psi and pulling HARD, I can feel the car squatting more, and then getting ever so slightly sideways, while still pulling hard, then straightening out as the tires stop spinning as the car really gets moving. Easy to modulate. VERY fun :D

These tries don't have the grip of my 265's Khumo Victoracers off the line, but are a much better street tire. I went sub 2 sec 60 foot times last year, so I know they are pretty good. (good for me that is)

Its way to late in the season for me to dyno, but would anyone have any idea as to how much power would it take to do that? I'm hoping to dyno more than 300 rwhp next year 350 is my approx goal (just to have a number for the bench racing wars that are extensive with such a long winter season) hehehe

It won't be long though.. couple of weeks, tops before it goes away.