HybridZ

LS1 240-280 guys with motor mount pics or plans

Hey guys,

As some of you already know, I scored a 98 LS1 donor car... I am looking for motor mount pics if you have any... If so, please send them or a link to "myron@axcesstech.net" I have tons of 1/4 aluminum plate that I would like to use to fab up some mounts... the motor is still in the donor car and I wont have it in the same location as my Z for a few weeks...

Myron

Hey Myron,

(Yes, I'm still fuming over the great deal you got. GRRRR!)

Try dropping an e-mail or a PM to Mike, a.k.a. mas280, or Mike Knell of JTR. I think his marker is JTR Mike or something like that. These guys are working together to produce a new JTR kit for the LS1.

Hey guys' date='

As some of you already know, I scored a 98 LS1 donor car... I am looking for motor mount pics if you have any... If so, please send them or a link to "myron@axcesstech.net" I have tons of 1/4 aluminum plate that I would like to use to fab up some mounts... the motor is still in the donor car and I wont have it in the same location as my Z for a few weeks...

Myron[/quote']

Hey there Myron,I gave my LS1 motor mounts to Mike (JTR) to copy and start to mass produce.Hope fully he will be done if a couple weeks here.

Guest nightZleeper
Hey there Myron,I gave my LS1 motor mounts to Mike (JTR) to copy and start to mass produce.Hope fully he will be done if a couple weeks here.

how soon is a couple of weeks? a month maybe two?

Is it is that soon then I wouldnt mind scraping my plans for a lt1 and waiting.

how soon is a couple of weeks? a month maybe two?

Is it is that soon then I wouldnt mind scraping my plans for a lt1 and waiting.

I would scrape plans for the LT1 if I was you.Mike from JTR already has a set and I'll be getting my set here in a week or so.Mas280 has been working with him more then me.They will be out real soon.I would check back in 2 weeks.He has headers for the LS1 240Z convertion already and is about to market them.He dropped off a set here at my house and the headers look sweet.They are made from Sanderson's and are seamless with 3inch outlet.

If you do go with the LS1....I have a harness that has been modified and ready for the convertion.All you need to do is plug everything in on the motor and hook-up like 7 wired that are labled...easy as that.I'll be ebaying is in a couple days.

Guest New_2_z

so wait let me get this clear. They are comin out with LS1 mounts ready to be purchased as in a kit? If so price? :lol: that would make life that much easier.

Hey Guys' date='

Anyone using the mounts and hardware from Johns Cars?

Myron[/quote']

I have the JCI components in my 240Z. The motor mounts are first class stuff and position the motor nicely. The trans mount would not work on the 240Z and John is working on one now. I used the JTR trans mount and it works fine. All the other stuff from JCI is great.

You can see pics in the links below.

Quik240,

Dude... SWEET!... it looks like the mount has an "ear" that matches the shape of the side of the stock datsun mount.. Does it weld onto the stock mount and cross member or does it weld to the frame rail of the car or both or neither??? I am liking the fit, seems that there is plenty of room in front of the motor for a SC or turbo!!...

How about using the stock LS1 power stearing pump and doing a PS conversion as well?

Myron

Quik240' date='

Dude... SWEET!... it looks like the mount has an "ear" that matches the shape of the side of the stock datsun mount.. Does it weld onto the stock mount and cross member or does it weld to the frame rail of the car or both or neither??? I am liking the fit, seems that there is plenty of room in front of the motor for a SC or turbo!!...

How about using the stock LS1 power stearing pump and doing a PS conversion as well?

Myron[/quote']

Myron,

You need to get in touch with John. He is in the process of setting up his components for the use of power steering.

As for the mounts, the part you are referring to is a plate that reinforces the stock Datsun motor mount towers. It mounts between the crossmember and the frame rails and bolts in place with new stronger, longer bolts provided with the motor mount kit.. If you have ever looked at the stock Datsun motor mount tower, you know that the metal used is quite thin.

The drivers side motor mount is a nice design that attaches to the stock Datsun mount and to the T/C rod housing. This was necessary to allow the mount to have clearance for the steering shaft. Because of this the alternator can remain in the stock location.

The other type of LS1 mounts (MAS280, JTR) do not use this method and the alternator needs to be moved.

I know that MAS280 has had no problems with his mounts and they must be good if JTR is going to put their name on them but at the time I started, John's cars were the only ones available.

I have had several people stop by(2 mechanics) and see my car and they all have commented on the quality and the design of the mounts. So far, I am very happy. I just need to make some more time to get it back on the road.

Because of this the alternator can remain in the stock location.
Interesting. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the fact that the alt. uses stock bracketry with the datsun towers still in place must mean the motor is about 2 inches forward of where mine is.

Then again, it's probably a bit higher also - we all know that can be a good thing:

s240z_ls1_holedpan.jpg

My motor is right up against the firewall, but probably a bit too low. At some point I will need to either do a custom pan or dry $ump.

I'm curious about that passenger side mount. Driver's looks like camaro motor mount is used, but the pass. side must be something unique.

JCI kit looks nice, I have seen it on Joey's car. It will work good for anyone that does not want to refine there swap.

JCI mounts there motor about 1" higher and 2-3" forward of where I mounted my motor. This is why JCI was able to keep the alt in the stock location.

It would be nice if there where more LS1 powered Z-cars out there. I am surprised that there are not more LS1 swap cars out there. After using both the LT1 and the LS1 I would never consider using the LT1 ever again.