HybridZ

300 RWHP Through a R180?

260DET

The plan is to replace the present R200 clutch LSD with a R180 gear LSD and CV jointed axles. With the cars projected turbo setup there will be around 280-300 RWHP and a fair gob of torque.

The car is used for road and circuit racing, all big power starts are rolling. A lot of you American racers seem to have no problems with the R180 gear LSD but I'm unaware of the power outputs and start types involved.

So I'm looking for informed opinion as to any potential reliability/durability issues with the proposed R180.

A good friend and customer of mine has been running a Subaru Viscous R160 behind his L28 (~170-190rwhp) and behind his 3.1L (~210rwhp) for 4 years of autocross and street duty with no issues whatsoever.

Gary Savage ran a R160 from a subie in his VG30ET powered 510 for hill climbs, autoX, etc. with years of success and close to 300rwhp. (and I would expect higher torque than 300ft-lbs)

I'm pretty convinced that the weak link in all the R series diffs is the spider gears. The LSD's seem very robust in all cases.

With that said, I can get a subie diff cheap, but I'm too chicken to put an R160 in my turbo car in fear that it might be wasted money. I would probably use an R180 however with gear LSD... lifetime guarentee, right? ;)

Guest daZda rally

By gear type LSD do you mean Torsen. This combination is exactly what I want to run also for about 300rwHP, what donnated this diff and CV and is it in a long nose housing already?

Peter.

You should be fine. As was mentioned, I ran an R160 LSD (which is still in the car now) for nearly 5 years and still going strong, that with the VG turbo and was with race tires and autocross & hillclimb duty. It's the hard starts from a stop that "shock" things, but without spider gears, they are damn tough. I've got an R180 LSD with CVs that will be in my Z with the LS6 and shooting for 400/400 range at the wheels, so that'll be a true test. Car will be on the road shortly, so stay tuned. Also, it's monster torque that breaks stuff, not so much HP. Turbos come on so smooth, that you shouldn't have a problem racing it, either. My VG car had 125 ft lbs at 1500 rpm and 300 ft lbs at 2400 rpm (at the wheel), which is quite a bit over less than 1000 rpm range. Still no probs with the diff. Keep good synthetic oil in it and you're golden.