HybridZ

Fiberglass Console

MYRON

Thanks SirDaniel,

I hav alot more smoothing to do before I glass it.. Wont be long though! It is gonna rain all week out here so I will have plenty of time to work on it.. I am going to use a Grant GT or something similar... along with a GM style tilt column... I just had to stick that wheel back in for placement..

Myron

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you SEE the passr. screen from the drivers side? Me and you seem to think alike, I'm going with a rear mount camera as well. Also thinking about putting one in each mirror facing forward to see around the car in front of me.

I'll have a hood ornament too, not one as cool as yours tho:D

Owen

Owen,

Yeah, I can see the screen.. I also plan on having one in the part of the dash that faces me... that one is pretty much for passenger entertainment only! Cool thing is, I have a little IR CCD that when turned on, the LED's focus a nice beam of light... I can turn that thing on and see right through tinted windows at night... I gotta see if someone is cracking open a bottle or flicking a few switches! By the time I'm done, Go-Go-Gadget himself would have a hard time figuring out what is going on..

Myron

Sir Daniel,

I plan on using the latest and greatest guages from autometer.. I havnt decided on which models yet though.. I will use an electronic spedo that should mate up with the LS1 computer... I pulled the stock round A/C vents from the TA donor car last night... I have a nice stockpile of Stereo gear that will be installed as well.... I will have all of the TG holiday to myself to work on this thing so I should get alot done..

Myron

Guest 83supaZ

once you get your dash complete are you planning on making any extra to sell to ppl? if so let me know.. might be intrested. i do not like the stock Z dash.. i may try to make my own but right now im busy with body/suspension/engine work... if i find a decent deal ill likely get parts im not really working on right now like seats.. dash.. console.. etc.

• 1 year later...
Guest alanq64

Even though this is over a year old, I thought that people would like to know that the fiberglass resin will not stick to aluminum foil. You can make your mold and cover it in aluminum foil (like the kind found at your local supermarket) and then you can seperate it without the problems of using Pam, vaseline or others like them.

Guest D280zxmod

I'm In The Process Of Building My Front End This Way,and Duct Tape Does Work Great Except I'm Using Canned Foam Insulation As My Base.don't Know How To Messages In My Threads But I Have A Couple Of Pics In The Gallery.

D,

I am not sure what kind of foam in the can you are using, but if it is the urethane type, I can give you a tip or two (may be unuseful for you). I used this stuff to mold an intake runner for my 280ZX years ago. I used dryer vent hose (aluminum kind) and shaped the runner how I wanted it, then filled it with foam in the can. I then cut off the aluminum, sanded the foam smooth, then glassed over it. Finally, I removed the foam in pieces. I did use clear syran wrap to cover the foam and keep it from sticking to the fiberglass. It worked really well.

What I found though with the foam in a can is that it was not curing in the center. The ends would cure, but the center would be gooey for days. Ends up, this stuff cures with moisture. So, I would stray foam in the tube, then mist water with a spray bottle, then more foam, then more mist, until it was full. Add about 2" of foam per mist. This allowed it to cure fully.

I don't know if that is helpful, but it may save some frustration if your foam is not curing.

Joshua